Tottenham Vs Fulham Saturday 3rd September 15:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was shit defending from both, but at least Romero is proactive, he actually gets a tackle in, albeit a shit one, but the ball just spins out the tackle to Mitrovic, but at that point Dier, watching all this unfold still has time to react and push out toward Mitrovic - but he just fucking stands there, three meters away and makes no attempt to do anything.

I didn't say "every defender should be drawn to the ball".

What you basing your knowledge of Dier doing what he's instructed to do? You got any footage of Conte telling Dier to fucking stand and watch instead of doing shit?

Dier was doing what he has been coached to do if Romero had done what he is coached to do Mitrivic doesnt get his shot off - Opinions and all that but I’m not going to waste time engaging with anyone who seriously thinks dier was in the slightest culpable for that goal

Quick reflections one day on FWIW… good performance, Sonny and Richy deserved goals, new players and formations working well; atmosphere pretty good. Ref was a tedious bore and aided the very slow first half. We got a bit sloppy at the end and the goal was annoyingly avoidable. All in all a good day and poor old H finally got a rest! Only downside is that I expected better from Sess. He was a bit timid and slow at times, but he kept going and kept trying. Hope it’s just a confidence thing but he’s also starting to run out of time to prove himself as a top PL player.

Dier was doing what he has been coached to do if Romero had done what he is coached to do Mitrivic doesnt get his shot off - Opinions and all that but I’m not going to waste time engaging with anyone who seriously thinks dier was in the slightest culpable for that goal

Wait until his match report

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

It was shit defending from both, but at least Romero is proactive, he actually gets a tackle in, albeit a shit one, but the ball just spins out the tackle to Mitrovic, but at that point Dier, watching all this unfold still has time to react and push out toward Mitrovic - but he just fucking stands there, three meters away and makes no attempt to do anything.

I didn't say "every defender should be drawn to the ball".

What you basing your knowledge of Dier doing what he's instructed to do? You got any footage of Conte telling Dier to fucking stand and watch instead of doing shit?
I thought Rom came too far across, he should've got to Mit but kept him on his left foot by showing him away from goal, and didn't anticipate him cutting back at all which he should've done.
I also think Dier should've stepped forward and closed the space once Rom lost that tackle instead of standing still with his arms behind his back (a trait he's not alone in, witness VVD doing it versus Man Yoo).

Rom allowed Mit onto his right foot a second time which was unforgivable given what had happened before, the deflection off his block tackle nearly going in.

Last edited:
I thought Rom came too far across, he should've got to Mit but kept him on his left foot by showing him away from goal, and didn't anticipate him cutting back at all which he should've done.
I also think Dier should've stepped forward and closed the space once Rom lost that tackle instead of standing still with his arms behind his back (a trait he's not alone in, witness VVD doing it versus Man Yoo).

Rom allowed Mit onto his right foot a second time which was unforgivable given what had happened before, the deflection of his block tackle nearly going in.

Agree. As I said originally, Romero’s defending isn’t always great, especially in and around the box, I’m not letting him off the hook, but this is a regular thing with Dier.

It’s not the arms behind the back thing, everyone has to do that now, it’s his habit of dropping off under pressure, marking nobody and failing to read, react proactively to situations.

Romero was at fault for thier goal but he was not on his own. Royal was MIA in a game where he managed to fck up multiple openings on the right with sht balls and gave procession away 16 times!!!! He was scurrying back to cover way behind play and frankly didn't do much better. I would guess romero will learn his lesson, royal on the other hand is the difference between scraping wins and being comfortable.

Dier was doing what he has been coached to do if Romero had done what he is coached to do Mitrivic doesnt get his shot off - Opinions and all that but I’m not going to waste time engaging with anyone who seriously thinks Dier was in the slightest culpable for that goal
Exactly. Romero was out of steam after racing back from upfield trying to chase goal 3.
Poor decision making and a poor tackle.
Not the first time but I hope it's the last.

Agree. As I said originally, Romero’s defending isn’t always great, especially in and around the box, I’m not letting him off the hook, but this is a regular thing with Dier.

It’s not the arms behind the back thing, everyone has to do that now, it’s his habit of dropping off under pressure, marking nobody and failing to read, react proactively to situations.
He needs competition, Toby he is not, should be a squad player really, same as Davies.

Was at they and and overall we played much better. Bent fir me was motm looked in control of the ball most of the game. Sess actually improved 2nd half and unlucky not to score. At least we looked scoring today which is good. Concerns : royal just doesn’t offer enough on the right as attacking threat would have like to see Doh fir 15 mins to give him a run out. Unfortunately spence didn’t even make the bench. We still have them too much room in our half and allowed shots or crosses to come in. Deflections on a couple could have been costly. They had 48% ball. Defending fir the goal was atrocious. They had the ball deep in their pen and somehow managed to get into our box. I think royal should have took one for the team when ball was still in their half. As for Romero”s “tackle” less said about the better. Lengket played well however imo dier is still weakest link.

Apologies for not being at the match. I was otherwise engaged. Literally.

Got married at 3pm. We NEVER kick off 3pm Sat so back in Jan thought it was a safe time to choose.

Several Spurs at the wedding. The congratulations varied from - what a lovely service, you both look so happy bla bla to - mate, it's 1-0, PEH!!!

Note to self: if I do this again make sure it's not the footie season.

:richclosed:

Apologies for not being at the match. I was otherwise engaged. Literally.

Got married at 3pm. We NEVER kick off 3pm Sat so back in Jan thought it was a safe time to choose.

Several Spurs at the wedding. The congratulations varied from - what a lovely service, you both look so happy bla bla to - mate, it's 1-0, PEH!!!

Note to self: if I do this again make sure it's not the footie season.

:richclosed:

Congrats, mate...... Here's to a happy future together! :adesalute:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom