Tottenham Hotspur Vs Wolverhampton Yam Yam Wanderers. (Sat 17th Feb 15:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think us and ange have been sussed out at this point. We have some great individual players that can win us games at times but often the football is predictable and like today with a bit of a tactical shuffle (if teams don't set up narrow in the first place) teams can quite easily nullify our threat. It wouldn't kill us to make a slight shift for 15 minutes where the wide players come in 5 yards and the full backs stay wide and give the opposition something else to think about about and have a degree of flexibility about us and create doubt in the opposition's mind about what we might attempt to do.

Alternative hot and cold. Peas from the freezer, hot water bottle for about 30 minutes if you can stand it. You can safely take up to 800mgs of Ibuprofen (Brufen) without doing yourself any damage. Fairly common dosage as NSAID post op. Bone bruising and associated swelling are nasty. The Ibuprofen should help with pain and inflammation. Rest it. No kicking Mrs. Vanderlay for a couple of days.
Thanks mate , I will take that on board . Zest’s idea to rub Carolina Reaper chilli sauce on my tentacles has taken my mind off that particular pain at the moment . I am currently urgently seeking some yoghurt about 3 buckets full and I don’t think chilli is a long term solution

Any friends of yours etc...do they say "y'all..
We do in certain company with the proper libations.

Congratulations Cowboy GIF by Pederson's Natural Farms

What a disappointment, very little to be positive about, maybe VDV and Vic are exempt from criticism.
Only bright spot was meeting up with Mr and Mrs MemphisWill MemphisWill , Shades Shades , Spurshaker Spurshaker , East Mid Yid East Mid Yid and Wellsey Wellsey before the game.
Hopefully it will be a better performance against Palace.
Trying to convince the missus that all Spurs matches aren't as dour as these past 2. Hard to put your finger on it, somewhere in the injury crisis we seem to have lost touch with what we were doing right before Chelsea. Too much of the bad old Spurs from the last few years - dominating possession, not taking shots, conceding soft goals.

Was lovely to meet everyone before the match, will look forward to our next trip even more eagerly now. Even linked up with caduka caduka after the match for a pint. Truly the highlight of the trip!

Thoroughly enjoyed the 1882 benefits this match, but while the view from 452 is quite good it did feel too far away for my tastes and I was longing for the seats in block 258 we had for Brighton. Not that there was all that much to stand up for this match.

Few thoughts from me.

- There will be some inevitable overreaction to this result. Anyone questioning Ange as the right man for the job or trying to deny we’re moving in the right direction is a fool. There’s so much to be positive about here.

But….

- It’s been a long time since we played particularly well. We’ve obviously had injuries but our performances since Xmas have been really poor and have been masked by good results. Injuries and international duty partly to blame or course, but I don’t think that tells the whole story. We’re just not sharp enough right now.

- At the moment we feel very easy to defend against once the opposition has their shape set. They congest the middle of the park, allow us to funnel the ball out wide and get wide players on the ball that aren’t really good one on one. Invariably those wide players come back into the congested area and the process starts all over again. No team gets their wide players in one on one situations more than us IMO, but we don’t have the players to take advantage.

- I said it in the pre-match thread and I stick with it that we’re a better side with Son through the middle. He was awful today (as were all the front 3) but sitting behind the Wolves goal in the first half, it was clear that meat heads like Dawson and Kilman just looked sooo comfortable knowing that Richarlison doesn’t have the speed to spin them in behind. It’s a dream for CBs and only further congests that central area we’re trying to play through. We’ll be a better team when Son is through the middle IMO.

- Goals conceded is becoming an issue. I don’t feel like we’re poor defensively as a side but the goal record isn’t good enough at all. Both goals today pretty fucking infuriating and allowing Wolves another good counter from our corner minutes after they went 2-1 up left me screaming. Too many goals feel sloppy.

- We’ve scored plenty of goals this season, but the difference in quality between our forward options and those of the top 3 is where the real difference lies right now. I think the problem is really compounded by the lack of a wide player who can go either way and really attack the full back one on one.

- Son, Madders still both very rusty. Maddison in particular just doesn’t look anywhere near as sharp as he did early in the season. Need him back on form asap.

- Our passing looks very different from the first few games of the season. It’s definitely slower and I feel like it’s a lot lower risk. First few weeks some of the MF triangles were a joy to watch, I’m not seeing much of that at the moment. We need our passing to be snappier and riskier. As above, we can’t allow opposing teams to get in their shape as we really struggle to break them down.

Lots of stuff for us to work on. We’re not a million miles away but the pattern of games over recent weeks has looked eerily similar even if results have varied. Tactically we don’t look anywhere near as sharp as we should be right now.

PS Neto today and Mitoma last week would transform this team with their ability one on one. Exactly the types of player we’re missing.

That isn't going to work in the PL though, he needs to adapt and figure out another way to play in situations like this.
Just watching the dippers game on motd. They are not afraid to hit the ball long. Their 4th gomes just hits the ball forward and Brentford make some mistakes Gapko scores. Other goals big kick forward by Keller and one by Virgil. Letting their forwards try to win the ball. Why can’t we do that now and then? You never you may get a corner, mistake, shot on goal anything. Also Vic needs to throw the ball out now and then to get attack going quicker. Too often he gets the ball and just fucking holds on to the ball too long.

They were told to do the exact same things whilst Ange told all the other teams that we are going to do the exact same things.

Every week. Every game. The same things.
His presser he didn’t even seem to disappointed or that he could have done anything g different. Someone mentioned the loss today as if it wasn’t the first as kind of feels like that with the performances. He said it was only one loss almost as if discarding the shite performances recently where we have won. It’s almost as if the wins or losses the performance doesn’t matter.

This game reminded me of the old AVB days. Narrow shit system, boring football, never looked threatening, could’ve played 3 more days and we wouldn’t create shit.
Angebsll all out attack on the front foot from the first min to last keep going try to score as many as we can. Well we hardly create abd we hardly ever score more than 2 goals a game.

Watch and wait. I can see the RMs of this world approaching VDV and Vicario in a year or two. Expect Levy to sell cause they'll be demanding salaries they are worthy of. We'll then again start a new rebuild.

If you want to keep world class players, you have to pay them world class money and you have to put other world class players next to them so that they can win something. Not everyone is Harry Kane.

ENIC and Levy Out
Yawn

Few thoughts from me.

- There will be some inevitable overreaction to this result. Anyone questioning Ange as the right man for the job or trying to deny we’re moving in the right direction is a fool. There’s so much to be positive about here.

But….

- It’s been a long time since we played particularly well. We’ve obviously had injuries but our performances since Xmas have been really poor and have been masked by good results. Injuries and international duty partly to blame or course, but I don’t think that tells the whole story. We’re just not sharp enough right now.

- At the moment we feel very easy to defend against once the opposition has their shape set. They congest the middle of the park, allow us to funnel the ball out wide and get wide players on the ball that aren’t really good one on one. Invariably those wide players come back into the congested area and the process starts all over again. No team gets their wide players in one on one situations more than us IMO, but we don’t have the players to take advantage.

- I said it in the pre-match thread and I stick with it that we’re a better side with Son through the middle. He was awful today (as were all the front 3) but sitting behind the Wolves goal in the first half, it was clear that meat heads like Dawson and Kilman just looked sooo comfortable knowing that Richarlison doesn’t have the speed to spin them in behind. It’s a dream for CBs and only further congests that central area we’re trying to play through. We’ll be a better team when Son is through the middle IMO.

- Goals conceded is becoming an issue. I don’t feel like we’re poor defensively as a side but the goal record isn’t good enough at all. Both goals today pretty fucking infuriating and allowing Wolves another good counter from our corner minutes after they went 2-1 up left me screaming. Too many goals feel sloppy.

- We’ve scored plenty of goals this season, but the difference in quality between our forward options and those of the top 3 is where the real difference lies right now. I think the problem is really compounded by the lack of a wide player who can go either way and really attack the full back one on one.

- Son, Madders still both very rusty. Maddison in particular just doesn’t look anywhere near as sharp as he did early in the season. Need him back on form asap.

- Our passing looks very different from the first few games of the season. It’s definitely slower and I feel like it’s a lot lower risk. First few weeks some of the MF triangles were a joy to watch, I’m not seeing much of that at the moment. We need our passing to be snappier and riskier. As above, we can’t allow opposing teams to get in their shape as we really struggle to break them down.

Lots of stuff for us to work on. We’re not a million miles away but the pattern of games over recent weeks has looked eerily similar even if results have varied. Tactically we don’t look anywhere near as sharp as we should be right now.

PS Neto today and Mitoma last week would transform this team with their ability one on one. Exactly the types of player we’re missing.

Some really good points.

I just wonder if teams have started to realise that we don't particularly have a deadly wide player (and that Son has never been that type of winger) so are basically happy to concede the ball out wide knowing we haven't really got someone who's going to successfully beat them and cause problems?

Which in turn, along with our inverted full backs, congests the middle of the park even more.

It's a real shame both Perisic and Solomon got injuries because both seem alot more suited to Angeball than any other winger we have

It almost feels like right now that Ange is still simply assessing these players as if it was an extended pre season so to speak and seeing who is capable of playing this football. See, Emerson and Davies playing inverted today.

Once he knows who can play his football, he weeds them out and replaces them with those who can.

It's 100% obvious that what we're seeing right now isn't Angeball though. The movement isn't there. The intensity and the speed of our player isn't there. Maddison is playing like the player I always thought he was at Leicester. Bissouma hasn't quite got back up to scratch. Why? I'm not sure. But I am sure we'll see it round.

A player in the mould of Mitoma/Neto would certainly be the suitable profile for this team and someone we're desparately missing.

When we have the full starting XI? Losing Udogie and Porro is huge. More than anyone of us could imagine, because Davies and Emerson definitely not up to the standards to play in this system.
Fucking hate people keep making exscuses. Every bloody team has players out. Wolves had cunha out! Imagine if he played. Dippers have had both tta and robo out for long periods. They play a young kid at RB. Their midfield has endo new to league , Mac and jones. Not exactly household names. It’s about desire, mentality, and nous. Our coaching team are not instilling any of that! It’s like they train all week knowing we will do exactly the same next game regardless of how we played previous game. Even if we win we could always improve which we do need to as in most recent wins they have been very fortunate. Determination seems to be a key word with a lot of managers. Where is ours especially at home?

Perhaps a silly question, but having never met anyone from TFC in real life at the ground, at least not knowingly...how do you guys recognise each other? Do you wear your TFC username on the back of your Spurs jersey?🤣

If work allows (🙏🏻), I should be back in N17 soon and would love to put faces to names, share a bevy (or 10) with you folks who partake in such shenanigans. Palace seems rather unlikely, but hoping to make Luton and Forest.
Same I'll be over for Luton, would love to see some TFC regulars face to face!

Some really good points.

I just wonder if teams have started to realise that we don't particularly have a deadly wide player (and that Son has never been that type of winger) so are basically happy to concede the ball out wide knowing we haven't really got someone who's going to successfully beat them and cause problems?

Which in turn, along with our inverted full backs, congests the middle of the park even more.

It's a real shame both Perisic and Solomon got injuries because both seem alot more suited to Angeball than any other winger we have

It almost feels like right now that Ange is still simply assessing these players as if it was an extended pre season so to speak and seeing who is capable of playing this football. See, Emerson and Davies playing inverted today.

Once he knows who can play his football, he weeds them out and replaces them with those who can.

It's 100% obvious that what we're seeing right now isn't Angeball though. The movement isn't there. The intensity and the speed of our player isn't there. Maddison is playing like the player I always thought he was at Leicester. Bissouma hasn't quite got back up to scratch. Why? I'm not sure. But I am sure we'll see it round.

A player in the mould of Mitoma/Neto would certainly be the suitable profile for this team and someone we're desparately missing.
What movement? At the ground you can see when our defenders have the ball there is no movement from
Our forwards.

Rubbish.

I guess the whole snatching games in the 96th minute after ropey performances thing always had a shelf life. Fun while it lasted.

Not seen any improvements over the past few months.

Ange needs to find a solution with the attack. Son and Richy don't work. Richy gets no service from the left and Son is away from central areas where he is best. Time to switch it up.
The wins hide a multitude of bad things.

Back
Top Bottom