Tottenham Hotspur vs West Ham United. Sunday 19th Feb 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's why I would start Richy , certainly for the next few games , he needs a run.
We cant afford to continually cough up possession , which seems to happen with Son in the first half of games ,under an aggressive press.

If we can muddle through until the end of the season we will have Udogie in the side come next August. With Porro and Emerson on the right we will have a decent set of rotational wingbacks that can become big assets in Conte's system.

brumspur brumspur

thumbs-up-big-foam-hand-7-colours-colour-orange-27228-p.jpg

:dawsonlol:
Soz

Yeah I was being a bit facetious with the never in doubt comment. Called a 0-0 after 20 minutes but did also think we may open them up second half once they tired.

I don't agree we're a systemless mess, it's hard playing against a team who defend deep with everyone behind the ball and we're a pragmatic side with a lack of creativity, also one of our few creatives is very much off form (Kulu). I could see how Rich was allowed inside into a 9 position at times with Kane dropping deeper so as to feed him and others. It didn't work very well due to a lack of space and quality and Davies isn't a WB by nature also but like you say we're low on confidence and needed to dig in and be compact initially.

Regarding without the ball I think every team defends better when they're set and chances present themselves more in transition for obvious reasons. I don't think players are instructed to cough the ball up either, just think we're not always very good at keeping it.

I think utterly bereft is a little bit OTT, Davies despite the first goal was pretty poor with his final ball and cross but how else could we rest Perisic? We still have Kane who's a class act and we need Kulu back on form, his confidence improved after the goal at least. Skipp and Rich will improve and hopefully Porro will settle.

Thought Romero played well, was violent but controlled and he does use the ball pretty well too. PEH also played well.

We were better second half, the first goal was a lovely thing, excellent ball from PEH, Davies played his part very well and nice finish from the main man. The second goal killed it and they may then have had more possession but the game was over.

Agree re confidence for both teams. We need to find some but it's slow steps at the moment. After Fulham, Preston and City it looked like it was coming back until the thumping v Leicester.

I think we'll see a very cautious approach now until season end. Chelsea will be a much tougher test despite their poor form. Might suit us in a way as they'll have more possession.

When haven’t we seen a cautious approach though.

I don’t think the - regular - personnel we have are compatible with the format, application and tactics we are deploying.

People like Hojbjerg and Bentancur lack dynamism and hate receiving the ball off defenders, they get ran around easily and people like Son (especially) and Kilusevski are poor at pressing and retaining the ball in midfield in transition so often much help as auxiliary midfielders.

Kane spends most of the time walking around and rarely does any pressing these days.

The only time we’ve looked effective was when doing the bus park shuffle against a woeful KDB-less city, having about 20% of the ball and even then we couldn’t string three passes together and bumbled away several great counters.

Most of our games have just been stretched, end to end, we have some they gave some lotteries where if we are lucky us having Jane and them not tips the balance in our favour.

In these games, until we go one or two behind and the oppo decides to shell and we have to go shit of bust, there seems very little cohesion between front and back, with or without the ball. We aren’t great at stopping chances or great at creating them, just kind of middling.

We might be ok-ish at stopping big chances, but we allow a ton of middle/low chances and they end up adding up.

I personally think we are in as big a mess as when Conte arrived. We look rudderless. Most games I don’t know what type of team we are tactically.

I don’t think the - regular - personnel we have are compatible with the format, application and tactics we are deploying.

People like Hojbjerg and Bentancur lack dynamism and hate receiving the ball off defenders, they get ran around easily and people like Son (especially) and Kilusevski are poor at pressing and retaining the ball in midfield in transition so often much help as auxiliary midfielders.

Kane spends most of the time walking around and rarely does any pressing these days.

The only time we’ve looked effective was when doing the bus park shuffle against a woeful KDB-less city, having about 20% of the ball and even then we couldn’t string three passes together and bumbled away several great counters.

Most of our games have just been stretched, end to end, we have some they gave some lotteries where if we are lucky us having Jane and them not tips the balance in our favour.

In these games, until we go one or two behind and the oppo decides to shell and we have to go shit of bust, there seems very little cohesion between front and back, with or without the ball. We aren’t great at stopping chances or great at creating them, just kind of middling.

We might be ok-ish at stopping big chances, but we allow a ton of middle/low chances and they end up adding up.

I personally think we are in as big a mess as when Conte arrived. We look rudderless. Most games I don’t know what type of team we are tactically.
But, but you know everything - I know this because you keep telling everyone that you do.

You just condemned just about all the players in the team, telling us how hapless and directionless they all are

And yet we are 4th in the toughest league in the world....

Maybe you just don't know what the hell you're talking about?
Is that possible?

If we can muddle through until the end of the season we will have Udogie in the side come next August. With Porro and Emerson on the right we will have a decent set of rotational wingbacks that can become big assets in Conte's system.
Agreed.

With Emerson hitting such a rich vein of form, it'll help Porro to settle in with little pressure on him to perform immediately. He should build into next season quite nicely.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Udogie on our left, all I keep hearing about him is that he's absolutely beasting Serie A.

So it's on the spine that the focus absolutely has to be. New keeper, 2 CB's and a creative midfielder to, at the very least, give us alternative options should our WB's get nullified in a game.

Those are the bare minimum for me, and all need to either be top drawer quality, or potential to be top drawer.

Should keep in mind that this was a relegation scrap West Ham, and not even the cup final against Spurs type West Ham.

I think we do press but only sporadically up top when the opportunity arises as we saw v City both games and a bit 2nd half yesterday (the Richy chance as an example) and a lot more from a mid or low block position. We completely strangled Fulham 2nd half and a poor West Ham mostly yesterday. There are other examples of this and it's coached pretty well to let's be honest a far weaker team than we had 5 years ago.

I think you also over egg the hate receiving the ball schtick aimed at Benta and PEH -sure they're not Modric and Pirlo but they're not as bad as you paint them, neither are world beaters obviously, both are a bit jack of all trades, master of none, but they're decent players who give their all and provide a goal threat which neither Skipp or Sarr do as yet.

We aren't particularly great you're right but outside of Kane and maybe a couple of others we don't have great players but it's over simplistic to talk about lotteries and Kane to explain our points since Conte came in (around 2ppg). I agree regarding the catch up from 2-0 down examples but that's clearly not the plan and the team has lost confidence, coinciding with injuries and Conte taking his eye off the ball due to bereavement and illness.

We are coached in both directions to a much greater extent than under Jose and Nuno and to about the same extent as Poch did. It's just a different style, I know it's not one you like, it's the opposite to your high press, retain possession, pass and move philosophy but Conte does adopt elements of all of these whilst retaining a pragmatic approach.

It takes time for players and teams to adopt and implement a system and I don't think fans appreciate this, especially with less than great players. You were critical of Arteta's Woolwich for a couple of seasons at least. Remember when we beat them 2 years ago under Jose 2-0 at home? They were fucking hopeless against a poor Spurs side who spent the whole 2nd half giving them the ball back. Poch had better players and it still took two full seasons to get it nailed down. Klopp was the same. Conte hasn't had one yet, has had a load of shit going on and a world cup shoved in the middle of it.

He's clearly far from perfect, the style isn't a load of entertaining fun and he does himself no favours with the 'is he or isn't he gonna stay' speculation that follows him around. But he does know what he's doing and he manages to pick up points doing it. It just takes time to get it better than it is now - I appreciate he probably won't get it due mainly to himself.

So we get rid, and run Kane, Son and Kulu into the ground?

He's been injured, and has played five games some (i can't remember how many) as sub.

But you expect him to slip in to the first team and score for fun.

By the way he played just four games for Everton on the right, so he has been played out of position in some games.

Royal has been played out of position and has been castigated, then after a good run of games he is coming good, but with Richy fans who don't really understand the game just pile on.

Cut him some slack, look at his actual playing time and support him FFS.
Maybe he just means what he said. As in 60m was too much for him and other positions shoudl have been addressed first. And maybe 60m IS actually a lot and our need for a real LWB and some decent CBs DID need to be addressed first.

For me though, I think Rich should be starting every match . His workrate is worth the price we paid.

Wanted to ask you lads if anyone felt it was worth picking West Hams carcass if they go down for the left footed Center back the Morroccan Nayef Agured ? He is six foot three has Epl experience is 26 years old and he looks a much better player to my eye than Lenglet? They will have to sell probably more than rice if they go and I don't see them getting near the 120 they want for Rice.

That’s yaya who threw a hissy fit about a cake?

You raise your kids to act like spoilt shits?

Just larkin' about; but I know I'd rather us spawn a player as good as Yaya.

In the meantime, we got also Mason, JD and hopefully one day Jan, Davies to help pave the way....... YIDS.

Back
Top Bottom