Tottenham Hotspur vs Stoke City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I cant stand this Adebayor and Defoe pairing up top. It is fucking worthless. All they do is run around and then give the ball away. Adebayor lost almost every aerial duel and Defoe wasted possession again and again with his useless long shots and terrible first touches. If I have to watch this all season I'm going to go crazy.

Could be worse, you could have to watch stoke every week.

Adebayor lost almost every aerial duel and Defoe wasted possession again and again with his useless long shots and terrible first touches. If I have to watch this all season I'm going to go crazy.
Adebayor was 0/7 in aerial duels, with four of those coming inside the box.

Defoe had four tries on goal, only one inside the box, and that one just barely.

In other words,
o2a2f.gif

End of the day goals win games. We didn't score so we didn't win. If we scored we'd have won. It's our own fault we didn't score Stoke aren't gonna do that for us are they?

Pissing rain, anti-football, and seeing both Man City and ArseAnal showing us precisely HOW to snatch a narrow 1-0 victory and prove it DOESN'T have to be one of those days if you KEEP going UNTIL you get a dodgy decision!

Not one for the Christmas DVD compilation m'thinks!
Stoke are a disgrace on football, but they do what they do very well!
BOO to Panto Stoke... Bunch of Neanderthal inbred backwards Cunts!

We are SO gonna be the last game on MOTD tonight, I'd be surprised if we're not on halfway through The Football League Show!

Seriously how do they willingly pay to watch that shit?

Football is supposed to be entertaining......those cunts are a cancer on the sport

I won't bother going next season when we play them, whats the fucking point in even playing the fixture - just agree to a 0-0 draw and stay at home.

Why does eveyone blame the strikers, and not the service they are given?
Not only that - but the pair of them had to operate inside the adventurous 5-5-0 environment that Stoke operated, before they got really jiggy and moved to 5-4-1 when Crouch came on.
What we lack is a creative ball carrying midfielder, and against Stoke we played without effective flankers and a number 8 to challenge Huth at the lineouts.

Why does eveyone blame the strikers, and not the service they are given?
Not only that - but the pair of them had to operate inside the adventurous 5-5-0 environment that Stoke operated, before they got really jiggy and moved to 5-4-1 when Crouch came on.
What we lack is a creative ball carrying midfielder, and against Stoke we played without effective flankers and a number 8 to challenge Huth at the lineouts.

Were you watching the rugby?

Stoke. Jesus. They're the most anti-football team I've ever watched, every season I leave the game frustrated as fuck. Felt sorry for Begovic, his socks were clearly shit because every time there was a dead ball he had to pull them up and, credit to him, he made sure he was thorough in doing so.

Positives I've taken from today:
1. I don't have to watch Stoke every week like those poor bastards in the away end
2. After a game I'm not going home to Stoke like those poor bastards in the away end
3. We kept a clean sheet

It seems that people wanted Stoke to turn up and roll over.

It was up to us to break them down and we didn't. I was assured after Swansea that AVB had cracked how to break down stubborn teams.....

Crisis club Woolwich are now above us and we could be in sixth by the end of the day.

#AVBOUT

Stoke always manages to get the worst up in players, managers and well football itself.

What a dogged, deep defending, resilient team like Stoke teaches us, is that we need to work on our game in the final third. A lot. It's not just about signing a VdV replacement (which we should anyway). Players must know what you need to do to break down such teams. Most have trained fulltime since being teenagers and played the game long before that. It shouldn't be a suprise, that you can't just stand around against 10 outfield Stoke players in the final third and then expect to get the ball at feet.

So there's work to do there. Teams are more scared of us than ever. I cannot remember so many teams being so wary of us ever in my time as fan. What we need now is to take not of that lesson and learn how to finish these teams off.

Personally I am sick of all this "but it's not his game, his playing style, what he does" and have been for some time. Well fuck it. Learn the game or piss off.

Fortunately - for my blood pressure and for Spurs - we have many more multi-functional players with much more allround ability than just 4-5 years ago. Who remembers the tinkering days of this midfielder needing to play behind that forward and this centreback needing that partner next to him. Bullshit, all of that.

I hope AVB can continue to work this syndrome out of Spurs and be ruthless against the players, who cannot be developed further.

I'm not slagging either player off, but just saying that what I think we need is a third option, someone strong and powerful who can really hassle players in the box. Think Sandro, but as with mad dribble skills and the ability to score goals tap ins, headers and the occasional worldy, just by being strong and in the right position.

Kind of like the best attributes of Gabriel Batistuta and Marco Van Basten rolled into one player?.....

Only Utd and City have a real plethora of strikers, Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool and everyone else could do with Adebayor and Defoe in their squads.

Back
Top Bottom