Tottenham Hotspur vs Newcastle United Sunday 23rd October. 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Even low block surely we can still defend better and not let crosses in or shots. How comes toon can nullify us but we can’t them? How do teams who are well organised and drilled defend better than us by limiting chances. We play park the bus but can’t actually do it. It’s totally wrong system and formation for the quality of players we have.

Yet we sit 3rd in the table, 3 points behind CIty.

Our success hangs on Kane / Son finding form and actually putting away the chances that they are getting.

Losing at home to Newcastle must be the kick up the arse they need. We had enough chances to have won the game and, 2 howlers from Lloris ruined our day.

PICK ONE

1. Conte's system works, but Kane and Son are missing the chances.
2. Conte's system doesn't suit Kane and Son.
3. Bloody Emerson Royal. It's all his fault.

We just need to accept that the majority of players are just not good enough. If you take our defence & midfield now, how many of these players would have got into the 16/17 team? In my opinion, none of them. We have squandered millions on average & below average players & until that changes, we won’t move forward as a team.

Last edited:
Yet we sit 3rd in the table, 3 points behind CIty.

Our success hangs on Kane / Son finding form and actually putting away the chances that they are getting.

Losing at home to Newcastle must be the kick up the arse they need. We had enough chances to have won the game and, 2 howlers from Lloris ruined our day.

PICK ONE

1. Conte's system works, but Kane and Son are missing the chances.
2. Conte's system doesn't suit Kane and Son.
3. Bloody Emerson Royal. It's all his fault.
It all boils down to son and Kane basically having to score from any half decent chance. We rarely get really good chances. Today may be the sun one on one but he was too close to the keeper for a dunk over. If we are not on the front foot threatening most of the gane then surely it must be harder for the front players to get any rhythm in attacking situations?

Do me a favour..... Can you explain to me what's "cheap" about:

Rich 60m
Romero 45m
Reguillon 35m
Ndombele 60m
GLC 40m
Sessengon 30m
Sanchez 40m
Sissoko 30m
Aurier 25m
etc.

???
I suppose that is cheap if you look at other teams spending on individual players.
We are spending 20 to 60 million on players where as top end teams are now spending 60 to 100 million on players.
We're always slightly behind.

It all boils down to son and Kane basically having to score from any half decent chance. We rarely get really good chances. Today may be the sun one on one but he was too close to the keeper for a dunk over. If we are not on the front foot threatening most of the gane then surely it must be harder for the front players to get any rhythm in attacking situations?

In the first minute Son had the ball with Bentencaur making the run outside him, he chose to shoot.

10th minute Son had plenty of time and tried a pathetic chip.

29th minute See heads an excellent ball down that ANY alert striker would have pounced on. Son was flat footed and ball watching.

I could go on, but we really should have been going into half time at least 2 up. We dominated and our strikers fluffed their lines....again

You have no idea of the rules of Association Football.

When the ball is in play the ref can't penalise blatant time wasting e.g. taking the ball into the corner to run the clock down, or Richarlison's ball juggling.

What Pope was doing yesterday was blatantly delaying the restarting of the game when the ball was dead (e,g. from a goal kick). He was rightly booked and you can hope that the ref added on time (5 mins of added time was played).

No clue!
Until you get a ref that has the balls to book a goalkeeper as soon as he starts time wasting and then send him off when he does it again (second yellow) it all seems a bit pointless. That booking didn't stop Pope timewasting

Outclassed by having an xg of 1.57-1.13 in favor of spurs and scoring off a massive GK error and another turnover?

Newcastle created very little yesterday and spurs mistakes were a big reason why they ended up with 2 goals.
This is what pissed me off about the narrative being spun after the game... fantastic Newcastle come to the Lane and upset top 4 contenders... is there a new big boy in town... Eddie Howe's team look so good blah blah blah.

Horseshit - if that game carried on in the same vein as the first 30mins we win it, I am sure. They just happened to be gifted 2 early Xmas presents by Lloris and suddenly they're the real deal? Fuck off. We'll have many teams come to the Lane and play better than they did this season.

On reflection. I think we need to remind ourselves this is a long season hopefully we start to pick up points again and performances to follow.

Judging from last season when we dipped in form we came back stronger. We were missing a good 3 or 4 1st team players ( maybe Conte shouldn't have rotated others too)

It wasn't our worst display and lloris cost us big time as I thought we were the better side at the time.

We just need to accept that the majority of players are just not good enough. If you take our defence & midfield now, how many of these players would have got into the 16/17 team? In my opinion, none of them. We have squandered millions on average & below average players & until that changes, we won’t move forward as a team.
Romero, Skipp, Bissouma and Bentancur would all contribute something to that squad I reckon, but on the whole you're obviously correct.

Just not being as good as that side doesn't mean our current players are terrible though, many of our issues would be a lot less glaring if not for the fact that ALL of our wingbacks are sub-standard.

On the right we have nothing (assuming Spence is to remain locked away in the attic feeding on fish carcasses), on the left initially it seemed like Perisic would provide quality but have to be carefully managed due to age, now I'm not so sure, doesn't even seem to be providing a calm head at present.

With nothing worthwhile coming from either wingback, the lack of any creativity through the middle is even more glaring and difficult to watch.

I'd take Reggie back in a heartbeat right now if only for the wildcard factor.

A couple of decent wing backs and/or a decent playmaker would make a huge difference to the entire team I think.

I suppose that is cheap if you look at other teams spending on individual players.
We are spending 20 to 60 million on players where as top end teams are now spending 60 to 100 million on players.
We're always slightly behind.

Besides that being only natural seeing as the clubs in question are wealthier; How many teams regularly spend 100m on individual players?

None..... Even now it's a rare occasion.

Not even PSG have done it more than a few times.

City.... Once.

We are seeing more and more 40-60m players at this club; I don't see how that's anything to complain about unless one is prepared to duck pretty basic facts....

Despite our endevour to generate a great deal more cash to spend; we're now merely the 7th/8th richest team in our league...... Thanks to buy-outs; sickeningly that's 2 places lower than before we built the stadium!

Are Arse (eg our most direct financial equivalent) any different? Nope..... Even in terms of overall spend over the last 10 years we were only about 20m apart in total (last time someone posted a list).

Last edited:
If only the sideways passing between the back three represented some kind of tactic that would help us win the game, or at very least hurt the opposition.
Unfortunately you can almost hear the mental gears grinding "what is this round thing? I need to get rid of it ASAP, I'll roll it 10m sideways to Eric"
Our back 3/5 must have pass completion stats in the 80s
I think the idea of the back three sideways passing is to try and draw the opposition forward, the trouble is when they are drawn forward we boot the ball back to Lloris.

This is true and Conte has basically said that. We have wasted massive amounts of money on bad players, that summer of 2019 being the key moment where we spunked £120m on 3 players who failed.

I believe that since Paratici came, we have spent money on some good players. Kulusevski, Bentancur, Romero, Richarlison, Bissouma, these are players of a similar level to where we were in 16/17. We just need time to buy more. Of course there are turds like Emerson but in general we are buying much better players than we were 4 years ago.

We just have to be patient. Considering the holes in our squad our results have been generally good in the league since Conte arrived.

Outclassed by having an xg of 1.57-1.13 in favor of spurs and scoring off a massive GK error and another turnover?

Newcastle created very little yesterday and spurs mistakes were a big reason why they ended up with 2 goals.
Yup. None of their "chances" were as good as the one Son wasted in the first half.

You have no idea of the rules of Association Football.

When the ball is in play the ref can't penalise blatant time wasting e.g. taking the ball into the corner to run the clock down, or Richarlison's ball juggling.

What Pope was doing yesterday was blatantly delaying the restarting of the game when the ball was dead (e,g. from a goal kick). He was rightly booked and you can hope that the ref added on time (5 mins of added time was played).

No clue!
Richarlison was time wasting whichever way you look at it. It may have not been "official " and within the rules but if another team had done it to us, you'd be going spare!!

Back
Top Bottom