Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool, 28/01, 8PM KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

you do realise you can only play against Teams who you are drawn against, you cant complain that you want a tougher draw!

I didn't complain.

I am saying that using the "still in 3 cups" as a defense of Jose is pretty silly. It doesn't prove anything, but some like to use it as an excuse for him as though we have been mowing through tough competition thanks to some big change Jose has made.

It is great that we are still in them but it doesn't change anything that we have seen from this team this season or last.

I didn't complain.

I am saying that using the "still in 3 cups" as a defense of Jose is pretty silly. It doesn't prove anything, but some like to use it as an excuse for him as though we have been mowing through tough competition thanks to some big change Jose has made.

It is great that we are still in them but it doesn't change anything that we have seen from this team this season or last.
Well it does prove something and that's Spurs are still in 3 cups! however unlikely there is still the chance of winning 3 trophies?
Any way i'm not sure this can be used to defend Jose just yet as unless he wins any of these 3 cups then it means fuck all!

Photo by The Spurs Web on January 29, 2021. Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sports and outdoor.

4,994 likes

Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts

1. Looked like a different team out there the 1st half and part of the second. Free flowing , attacking football. Wasn’t expecting that at all. Good to know that at least that in our bag and can be brought out every now and then. At one point we passed around for 15-20 touches...... most in Pool’s half! Dream like

2. Thought Rodon was excellent and Jose looked like a genius. The brain fart ruined those thoughts, but it wasn’t as bad as Dire/Hugo’s miscommunication.

3. why wasn’t Liverpool’s first half goal VAR checked, looked pretty close to me, at least worthy of a look.

4. Winks and Lamela on at the half was unfathomable. Still scratching head on that one.

5. Lamela is worthless, I’m done with him and his slide tackle passes and “shots”

6. Bale was a non factor, but the odds were against him, given what he had around him and his pitch time.

7. Ndombele and Bergwijn looked bright. Would like to see Ndombele at DM or with 4 midfielders.

8. Son needs to make one more pass a large percentage of the time.

9. Kane was mostly ineffective, particularly after the first knock. Was the point of having a back up striker if you don’t put him in when you starter goes down?

10. Doherty did better that I expected, but he doesn’t belong in the starting 11.

11. PEH was worldly the whole match. I sprang off the sofa on his goal. However........... if we’re depending on him for goals, we’re in trouble

I know it’s a tough ask. It’s one game. 90 mins and a trophy . The fact it’s a final might make us give that extra motivation . City have won shed loads .
Even if we defend it just get dam right lucky with a deflected goal in 92ns minute . I’ll take that.
14 years and no trophy .

mourinho isn’t stupid he knows we have some very average players and winning the league is way beyond us . I think even the players know it themselves .
Our club doesn't do motivation as evidenced many times before.
Even last night when there is a chance to push on we always fuck it up and fold, we just don't deal with pressure nor expectations very well.
We would need a lot of luck or a lasagne moment to beat city.

People say "still in 3 Cups" like that is some sort of impressive feat.

We are still in the Cups because we have played the likes of Marine, Wycombe, Brentford and LASK.

I guess full credit for winning on Pens against Chelsea but that is the one tough game we have had in any Cup competition.

We are not still in 3 Cup competitions because of anything that Jose has done, we are in them because we have games that we can't lose so far.

We still could win 1 or 2, but how about we wait until we actually do before giving Jose credit or using the potential to win one as a reason to give Jose a pass.
Forgot the Leyton Orient masterclass mate

24 hours later and I am still “jolly angry” about why 50/50’s were not contested correctly.

Why pressing was almost never in at least pairs and why, despite Liverpool being wide open at the back we managed 3 shots all game, against fucking Henderson and some fella I have never heard of (second half)

I am assuming no manager, including Jose, is going to tell him players to go on the field of play sit off, pussy out and not bother ?

thinking back..... Chelsea @ home in Dec 19 - same performance. Chelsea away, seem to remember it being similar. Sheffield United away, Everton home, last 20 mins v West Ham, Leicester, Fulham, now Liverpool at home.

Why does this keep happening ?

All these games had the same performance. All have the same outcome. What is the consistent in all of them?

The players.

My conclusion is they are Unprofessional.

The minimum we can reasonably expect is matching an opponent, any opponent, for effort and tactical responsibility. If you don’t do that, it can only be a lack of professionalism.

Matching the efforts of your opposition is the basis on which you build a good performance, and hopefully a win. Either our players are not capable, in which case ENIC are conning us or they are unprofessional in which case the Players are essentially conning us (and our heritage).

Poch led us to Brighton away needing to “bounce back”’ and got his arse handed to him. Will Jose do the same with essentially the same team ? I rather suspect so.

Then he'll be getting the bullet like anyone else.

You think our team, with one of the world's most successful, experienced and well paid coaches shouldn't be capable of challenging the likes of Chelsea (shit coach), Utd (shit coach), Liecester, Everton, West Ham for a CL place?

No. This club absolutely requires CL football - or at least the genuine pursuit of it.

Why do you think Mourinho has rotated players in the domestic cups. he knows what the priority is. As does any head coach of a club like us.

Only if he's as stupid as those fans. Winning the kangaroo cup or FA cup isn't going to keep him in a job for long (just like it didn't for Ramos or Wenger or VanGaal etc etc)

We won't even get a good day out out of it this year.
As I said , if he wins us a trophy or 2 , he won’t care if he gets the bullet . He will walk out with his head held high, with more honours on his cv , knowing that he was the first manager to win us something in nearly 15 years . And as a fan I will be delighted .
You can mock the domestic trophies all you like , but with these bunch of players , it’s all that’s on the table , take it or leave it.
As far as the club “ absolutely requiring cl football “..........well it can require it all it likes , but it ain’t happening . You need to accept the situation , and the limited ability a lot of our players have mate .
we are now essentially a cup team , you may get your beloved cl , if we win the europa cup though , because that’s the only way it will happen.
Forget the league and get on board with the trophy train , otherwise it’s going to be a very miserable end to the season for you

As I said , if he wins us a trophy or 2 , he won’t care if he gets the bullet . He will walk out with his head held high, with more honours on his cv , knowing that he was the first manager to win us something in nearly 15 years . And as a fan I will be delighted .
You can mock the domestic trophies all you like , but with these bunch of players , it’s all that’s on the table , take it or leave it.
As far as the club “ absolutely requiring cl football “..........well it can require it all it likes , but it ain’t happening . You need to accept the situation , and the limited ability a lot of our players have mate .
we are now essentially a cup team , you may get your beloved cl , if we win the europa cup though , because that’s the only way it will happen.
Forget the league and get on board with the trophy train , otherwise it’s going to be a very miserable end to the season for you

It’s not that we are a sh*te team. It’s the fact that we have some really well invested teams ahead of us and the teams around us have made real big investments! We have continued to shop in the most frugal manner. So, we are where we are with how we’re investing in our squad.

Just a few points:
1. We are setup to play a defensive park the bus low block counter attack style. However are actually crap at defending. If our coaching/ training is all geared to this style then they should all be sacked. If your meant to defend how comes we all pool and any other team so many attempts? Pool bad 20 and we are meant to be defensive. We don’t prevent the ball being crossed into the box or allowing oppo players touches in our pen area. How many time did they find players in our box! Whereas we hardly had any touches in their box bcos they defended better especially in the 2nd half. We couldn’t get near them but in the first half we could everyone back yet they could pass the ball around freely in our half and get into the box and get shots away. I read a stat that on our games this season not against which teams but we had over 90 attempts against us but only 40 off for us. Shocking ! If your gonna defend then at least do it properly and prevent teams from having attempts. Do they work on marking players, following runners, making sure our defenders give forwards a horrid time? Doesn’t look like it! We just wave teams through and say have a go. Eventually they will score or a mistake will happen like it always does. Everton did the same v leicestband Pickford dusky obliged. The phrase if you don’t buy a ticket you don’t win the raffle comes to mind. Unfortunately the way we attack relies on us winning the golden ticket every attack. However like the first the ball has to nearly perfect to get Son away. The commentators alluded to that as well that our balls over the top to get son were not accurate enough. Really is a depressing style we play and I don’t think the players are even coached very well to play it after 14 months and this guy is on £15M to get us to the next level. Fraud!
2. Dier mistakes v to by mistakes: a few people have said Toby made the mistake against pool in the away game for Firminiho goal and was given a torrid time v Wycombe. How many mistakes has dier made? Loads, how many does he just the ball back to the opposition with his aimless “passes”. Would he have faired better v Wycombe? Fortunately you don’t face that type of player in the PL so it’s irrelevant. To y is the passer we have, I think it’s time to go back to basic with the team and style. Go back to the first 3 games under Mourinho and forget this ultra cautious BS counter attack style. If after 14 months we still don’t look solid at the back for whatever reason ie either the players arnt good enough or the coaching isn’t working then abandon this project and go back to where there was less emphasis on tactics and just impose ourselves on the oppo.
3. Mistakes : Jose said we made 3 mistakes and his right but if you let the oppo have all the ball, don’t press or tackle and sit so deep either they will score through some great play or we will make a mistake or two. Mane got in behind numerous occasions in the first half but no one did anything about it. What about the bigger mistake that led us to having only 3 shots on target and just 1 corner all game when we were chasing the game. We were non existent as an attacking force for most of the game. If we go by the jose logic if we made 0 mistakes the game would have ended 0-0 as it sure as hell didn’t look like we were going to score. Alison didn’t have a save to make!
4. Bergwijn - what is the point of having him play if he never gets into any goal scoring positions or possess an attacking threat? His never even on the end of a counter attack we always look for Son. He never makes any runs. This is probably not his fault though as he has been tasked with a role that basically makes him impotent as an attacking player. Which begs the question why play him might as well just play another defender. His defend is actually crap as he never presses anyway not like mane and salah do. Look at first goal he justs drops back 10 yards from Robertson I think who them has ample space in our half and just lofts the ball over for mane.

we need to engage teams in the middle third by pressing , closing down spaces, better marking and then try to win the ball back. Like teams have made play in the past where we failed to get any attempts away or make the goalie make a save even though we would have 70% possesion. We need to stop attempts on our goal at source the try to with the ball back higher up when hopefully you would more players up the field to join in the atttack. At the moment most teams can defend with probably two players back as they know we unlikely to overload them on the counter. Only Son would be the player on the counter of Harry is making the pass.
Our style of play has to improve with some intelligence and game management however for all the money we are paying this guy he has offered nothing new or exceptional in our style of football that Pulis or big Sam couldn’t offer!

Back
Top Bottom