Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool, 28/01, 8PM KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dunno how you cunts manage it...I put the telly off at fulltime, I couldn't face another second of anyone talking about that fucking abortion of a game...yet you lot of masochists are still dwelling on it...
Don't you know.... if you dwell on it, and analyse every moment like an autopsy, the result changes!
We actually won 4-3 last night!
Normally I watch to the end regardless but turned it off when the third went in. It was sooooo painful to watch.
That's,the Covid 2020/21 version of leaving the ground early.... SHAME ON YOU!!

How is the league not out objective this season? It is our primary objective to finish top 4 every season.
Yep and has been since around 2005 for every manager. Anything else is a bonus and any Tottenham manager rightly or wrongly knows thats what they are judged on. We didnt build this stadium to be playing SB Wolfswinkle on a Thursday night. Its just goalposts being moved to justify what is going on.

We lost against Liverpool for the 6th league game in a row, they are a team we can't beat

Still in the 3 Cup competitions, think the reaction is abit over the top

3 pathetic mistakes is what give them the game

It’s not just about three pathetic mistakes. If you play well, even pragmatically, and are unlucky then most would acknowledge “unlucky” or individual errors in a good performance. That was dogshit last night, insipid, weak, half arsed, mistakes and half arsed-ness all over the pitch that leads to mistakes by defenders under pressure from good players.

As soon as we play anyone half decent - and let’s face it, nobody is outstanding this year so even City and Liverpool are weaker tactically, individually - which is about half this league, we turn into this passive, submissive group, scared or incapable of playing with the ball and lacking aggression and intensity without it.

Absolutely no. Levy will have made it abundantly clear, as he does with every coach, that CL is the primary objective.
And Jose would have ignored it . He isn’t stupid . He knows how poor some of these players are. And they stand zero chance of winning the league and a slim chance of cl . But he knows he if he can provide a trophy or 2 , it’s job done for him . The club has won nothing for 14 years . Can you imagine if he won both domestic trophies with us ? Perfectly plausible . He would see it and so would the fans as job done .

Absolutely no. Levy will have made it abundantly clear, as he does with every coach, that CL is the primary objective.
Do you honestly think mourinho will be here by the end of next season ? He is here to win us a couple of domestic trophies then he is done . I’d rather that than finish 4th , with no trophies , then go out at the group stages or the first knockout round . We are now a cup team , that’s it .

Jose is a pragmatist. At Real, did they not break a goals scored record? And played Ozil as a number 10 with freedom to be creative?
He has made some poor decisions, but we have to trust him. He's clearly exceptionally intelligent, and understands football.

I think Mourinho is a smart guy, and I think he does do some smart things, but fundamentally all his tactical approaches are nuanced versions of the same thing, except to extent with RM where he was managing a side that was forced by individuals within it and opponents habitual deference, into having more ball (but even then compared to years immediately preceding and post Mourinho RM possession went down a fraction).

Here is a post I made about his time at Utd in a conversation with TTT TTT (Nathan)

To be honest, I would have liked to see you analyse and compare his ManU side with previous sides (Chelsea 2015 eg), as this was his latest body of work (prior to us obviously). Personally I was very unimpressed with his apparent lack of tactical evolution - it was very formulaic - very Mourinho (as you touch on in that video) generally start aggressive, try to get the lead, shell and counter. Teams seemed to figure this out, realised if they could ride out the first 20 minutes, the game became much more of a lottery, and PL teams had better attacking quality themselves now, and could make that lottery pay - and at ManU he didn't have the clever players - or Hazard - that he'd had at Chelsea (and two other coaches won the league with the bulk of thatChelsea team as well).

He continually tried to use Pogba in a double pivot - when it's blatantly obvious he's best as an 8 in a CM3 with at least one busy grafter next to him.

At Chelsea in 2015 he could concentrate on the organisation and structure and what everyone has to do when they lost the ball, and they had a great blend of clever, talented players like Fabregas, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, and athletic/aggressive/talented Matic, Costa who could capitalise on that structure when in attacking transitions.

It seems to me that Mourinho's ethos is heavily reliant on individual attacking talent (Chelsea both spells, Inter, Real) that he allows to kind of free form in offensive transition but drills hard the defensive transition.

Even in his first year at Utd he had Ibrahimovic to up the IQ and presence, with a pre alienated Pogba pulling strings. Once he lost those two (one physically the other mentally)next season it all went to shit. They lacked the brains and talent to unlock obdurate opponents in that first 20 minute aggressive phase and teams (now with more resources) often had the players to cause them problems - especially with Pogba in a CM2 - 4231.

All sounding very familiar and formulaic isn't it.

General: Try to start strong, get a goal, shell. Rinse. Repeat.
V Good teams: Shell.

Ndombele/Alli read Pogba.

Still Spurs regardless, that’s enough for me

Trophies may come, trophies may not.
I’ll still be Spurs.

Been reflecting on my views on Poch and while I stand for some of it, a lot of it was the talk of an entitled moron for a supporter.
Poch did a great job, I think Levy is doing a great job, and Jose is doing well, and eventually will win something, probably this season.

That’s good for me.

I actually preferred it during the Jol and Redknapp years when I felt a weeks buzz after certain games, and couldn’t sleep days before big matches.

Now nothing is good enough, the vibe is less and less about the journey, the ups and downs and loving the club and those within it.

I genuinely don’t care about the depressing negative views anymore. I’m done with caring what other fans think, you have a right to an opinion, it’s not my place to change it.

I woke up this morning and I wasn’t a scouser, Manc, gooner, west ham or Chelsea.

That fills me with joy. I am re learning to love my club again. The internet is what drives the wedge between the fans and reality.

My reality is that Spurs just aren’t elite, we are still on the fringes, we will get there, and I’ll be ecstatic when we do.
My joy will be unconditional.

Hope you enjoy the Brighton match a lot more than last night, there’s always a next week.
Good post, saves me writing it, well done Sammy 👏
COYS YID ARMY

I think Mourinho is a smart guy, and I think he does do some smart things, but fundamentally all his tactical approaches are nuanced versions of the same thing, except to extent with RM where he was managing a side that was forced by individuals within it and opponents habitual deference, into having more ball (but even then compared to years immediately preceding and post Mourinho RM possession went down a fraction).

Here is a post I made about his time at Utd in a conversation with TTT TTT (Nathan)

To be honest, I would have liked to see you analyse and compare his ManU side with previous sides (Chelsea 2015 eg), as this was his latest body of work (prior to us obviously). Personally I was very unimpressed with his apparent lack of tactical evolution - it was very formulaic - very Mourinho (as you touch on in that video) generally start aggressive, try to get the lead, shell and counter. Teams seemed to figure this out, realised if they could ride out the first 20 minutes, the game became much more of a lottery, and PL teams had better attacking quality themselves now, and could make that lottery pay - and at ManU he didn't have the clever players - or Hazard - that he'd had at Chelsea (and two other coaches won the league with the bulk of thatChelsea team as well).

He continually tried to use Pogba in a double pivot - when it's blatantly obvious he's best as an 8 in a CM3 with at least one busy grafter next to him.

At Chelsea in 2015 he could concentrate on the organisation and structure and what everyone has to do when they lost the ball, and they had a great blend of clever, talented players like Fabregas, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, and athletic/aggressive/talented Matic, Costa who could capitalise on that structure when in attacking transitions.

It seems to me that Mourinho's ethos is heavily reliant on individual attacking talent (Chelsea both spells, Inter, Real) that he allows to kind of free form in offensive transition but drills hard the defensive transition.

Even in his first year at Utd he had Ibrahimovic to up the IQ and presence, with a pre alienated Pogba pulling strings. Once he lost those two (one physically the other mentally)next season it all went to shit. They lacked the brains and talent to unlock obdurate opponents in that first 20 minute aggressive phase and teams (now with more resources) often had the players to cause them problems - especially with Pogba in a CM2 - 4231.

All sounding very familiar and formulaic isn't it.

General: Try to start strong, get a goal, shell. Rinse. Repeat.
V Good teams: Shell.

Ndombele/Alli read Pogba.

And Jose would have ignored it .

Then he'll be getting the bullet like anyone else.

He isn’t stupid . He knows how poor some of these players are. And they stand zero chance of winning the league and a slim chance of cl .
You think our team, with one of the world's most successful, experienced and well paid coaches shouldn't be capable of challenging the likes of Chelsea (shit coach), Utd (shit coach), Liecester, Everton, West Ham for a CL place?

But he knows he if he can provide a trophy or 2 , it’s job done for him .

No. This club absolutely requires CL football - or at least the genuine pursuit of it.

Why do you think Mourinho has rotated players in the domestic cups. he knows what the priority is. As does any head coach of a club like us.

The club has won nothing for 14 years . Can you imagine if he won both domestic trophies with us ? Perfectly plausible . He would see it and so would the fans as job done .

Only if he's as stupid as those fans. Winning the kangaroo cup or FA cup isn't going to keep him in a job for long (just like it didn't for Ramos or Wenger or VanGaal etc etc)

We won't even get a good day out out of it this year.

And yet, once again, failed to provide the adequate backing.

And Jose would have ignored it . He isn’t stupid . He knows how poor some of these players are. And they stand zero chance of winning the league and a slim chance of cl . But he knows he if he can provide a trophy or 2 , it’s job done for him . The club has won nothing for 14 years . Can you imagine if he won both domestic trophies with us ? Perfectly plausible . He would see it and so would the fans as job done .

Exactly. City's upturn in form is a worry, but we will all be in the business end of the season, I suspect they'll be prioritising the Champion's League and League themselves. We could sneak the win and Jose would have fulfilled *some* of the remit, and removed that monkey. If he's sacked he has a payoff then.

People say "still in 3 Cups" like that is some sort of impressive feat.

We are still in the Cups because we have played the likes of Marine, Wycombe, Brentford and LASK.

I guess full credit for winning on Pens against Chelsea but that is the one tough game we have had in any Cup competition.

We are not still in 3 Cup competitions because of anything that Jose has done, we are in them because we have games that we can't lose so far.

We still could win 1 or 2, but how about we wait until we actually do before giving Jose credit or using the potential to win one as a reason to give Jose a pass.

I'm not looking through this thread but the only thing still bugging me about last night is the Allison incident where he looked outside the box gathering the ball.

Was he?

I deleted the match in disgust so can't check myself and Sky Sports don't seem to be doing a VAR check type article...

I'm not looking through this thread but the only thing still bugging me about last night is the Allison incident where he looked outside the box gathering the ball.

Was he?

I deleted the match in disgust so can't check myself and Sky Sports don't seem to be doing a VAR check type article...

No he was not.

Having gone back and watched it when you see the replay it wasn't really close or controversial he was clearly in the box when he got the ball.

Although in real time it is fairly easy to see how people thought it was closer than it was.

People say "still in 3 Cups" like that is some sort of impressive feat.

We are still in the Cups because we have played the likes of Marine, Wycombe, Brentford and LASK.

I guess full credit for winning on Pens against Chelsea but that is the one tough game we have had in any Cup competition.

We are not still in 3 Cup competitions because of anything that Jose has done, we are in them because we have games that we can't lose so far.

We still could win 1 or 2, but how about we wait until we actually do before giving Jose credit or using the potential to win one as a reason to give Jose a pass.
you do realise you can only play against Teams who you are drawn against, you cant complain that you want a tougher draw!

Back
Top Bottom