Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool, 28/01, 8PM KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A baffling decision to even start Doherty at all given how shit he's been all season - let alone out of position. He must have made 5 square passes straight to a Liverpool player and put us right in the shit last night.
Yet Aurier got hauled off....go figure.

Wolves must be laughing their arses off.
It's a very damning indictment of Toby and Davinson and even Tanganga (unless he was injured).

It's tricky because with Toby you get the composure but no pace.
Sanchez pace but no composure.
I guess in Jose's mind Davies was a bit of a blend in that he's a fairly safe pair of hands and perhaps we could build from the three in a better way.

But he was way too optimistic in Doherty's capabilities.

It's a very damning indictment of Toby and Davinson .
It's tricky because with Toby you get the composure but no pace.
Sanchez pace but no composure.

I guess in Jose's mind Davies was a bit of a blend in that he's a fairly safe pair of hands and perhaps we could build from the three in a better way.

But he was way too optimistic in Doherty's capabilities.
Can't they just be strapped together?? Best of both worlds!!

Dunno how you cunts manage it...I put the telly off at fulltime, I couldn't face another second of anyone talking about that fucking abortion of a game...yet you lot of masochists are still dwelling on it...

Been reflecting on my views on Poch and while I stand for some of it, a lot of it was the talk of an entitled moron for a supporter.
Poch did a great job, I think Levy is doing a great job, and Jose is doing well, and eventually will win something, probably this season.
How can you possibly think Levy is doing well?

He's the highest paid CEO in English football, but where it counts, on the pitch, he's by far the biggest failure of any of the top clubs!

Or do you mean doing well for himself?

Just on your 1st point.

Ok, Reggie gets injured just before the start.
So why not put Toby in at CB and move Davies to LWB. A left footed player playing on the left.
This still leaves Dav and Doherty on the bench.
Enough cover for CB and WB if needed.

A baffling decision to play Doherty there.
I would assume all the practice had been done with Davies at LCB. Moving him to LWB just before the game and putting some one new in a back 3, risks the cooperation that had been practiced. This reflected in the 2nd goal where Davies was too central, like in a back 3, instead of wider that the back 4 required.

Also, Toby looked poor against Wycombe and I don't think he has been able to regain form since his injury. He was starting before then, so I can only see his failing to return to be a question of performance.

At the end of the day, we have only 3 left footed players and two were out injured.

Literally sack the manager for losing to Liverpool
Sammy no not because we lost to Liverpool because: of how cluelessly we set up, because the weird recruitment (some of which is on Levy and Poch for the record) because of the lack of ambition in the substitutions, because of Doherty on the left of mid!! Because he looks clueless against Klopp nearly every time. Because the longer we wait the more a depressed culture takes hold ,the more the 1b stadium starts to look a decade late and at the very worse time.

An on the pitch malaise can not be allowed to make this decline a reality. Levy will know this. I never once thought Jose was stupid, but now even this becomes possible, I thought a very cynical coach who will pragmatic our way to the top. In my gut I thought he might look at our limitations and think "fuck it"I don't have to beat Liverpool to win the title, and concentrate on really battering the Fulham's West Ham's Burnley's. Maximise the wins against them and sneak home that way. Id have grudgingly accepted this. But he seems to have one tactic an no overall strategy at all.

How can you possibly think Levy is doing well?

He's the highest paid CEO in English football, but where it counts, on the pitch, he's by far the biggest failure of any of the top clubs!

Or do you mean doing well for himself?
I think the chairman has hired a sequence of managers and signed players that have been capable enough to take us from 14th to top 4 in 8 years. Those he didn’t sign came through the academy he built, and play in the stadium he built.

Then over the next decade we have been regulars in the CL apart from the seasons where we have been in managerial transition.

The hiring and firing is what’s held us back if anything, and now a lot of fans want even more transition, and to start again.
Again.

Players and managers need to deliver the goods.
Everyone is saying this squad should be playing better. The tools are there.
I’m not going to call for the chairman’s head for hiring a manager that won 23 trophies in 16 years

Last edited:
I would assume all the practice had been done with Davies at LCB. Moving him to LWB just before the game and putting some one new in a back 3, risks the cooperation that had been practiced. This reflected in the 2nd goal where Davies was too central, like in a back 3, instead of wider that the back 4 required.

Also, Toby looked poor against Wycombe and I don't think he has been able to regain form since his injury. He was starting before then, so I can only see his failing to return to be a question of performance.

At the end of the day, we have only 3 left footed players and two were out injured.
Good points.

The only other option would of been to play Bergwijn there.
I'm not a fan of that experiment though.

Good points.

The only other option would of been to play Bergwijn there.
I'm not a fan of that experiment though.
He is also right footed and might fail more on the defensive end. GLC being available would have really helped.

Personally didn't expect the back 3 but I could also see the potential given the way Liverpool had struggled and how we played against sheffield.

I think the chairman has hired a sequence of managers and signed players that have been capable enough to take us from 14th to top 4 in 8 years. Those he didn’t sign came through the academy he built, and play in the stadium he built.

Then over the next decade we have been regulars in the CL apart from the seasons where we have been in managerial transition.

The hiring and firing is what’s held us back if anything, and now a lot of fans want even more transition, and to start again.
Again.

Players and managers need to deliver the goods.
Everyone is saying this squad should be playing better. The tools are there.
I’m not going to call for the chairman’s head for hiring a manager that won 23 trophies in 16 years
You can't blame players again and again. Unless you're literally implying that we're the only club to keep getting players who have the ability but are downing tools as part of a conspiracy to keep Spurs from success. Do you believe that?

We just needed to spend more money to surround our best players with better players. It's a proven formula. Sure there are some anomalies. Generally speaking it's wiser to emulate methods with a much higher success rate right?
Strengthening weak links isn't novel or outrageous. It's the most simpe concept but the man upstairs has managed to convince people he's a fellow fan.

Can people stop the player attacks. Thry are so feeble, fickle and without point.

Football is a team game that relies on a manager getting his team selections correct. It's on Mourinho because it's his judgement. Players don't mean to make mistakes or miss chances.

But neither are Liverpool or were Liverpool that good.

If we brought Milner, Wilnauldum and Henderson there would be uproar. We had our own young defender and the world cup winning goalie.

We also had what is laughably been termed the best strike partnership in Premier League history. Utter bullsh!t with all due respect to Kane and Son.

We lack mentality and the players fear Mourinho and yesterday feared their opponents. It brings mistakes.

But blaming individuals is just pathetic because it presume a of a different outcome and that is simply wishful tosh.

So Jose blames each goal on individual errors. So, the players concerned see this and think, shit, that was me. How is that encouraging them, developing them, building a team?
As for a rebuilding job, don't count on him being around in 2 years, trophies or not, its not his style.

You can't blame players again and again. Unless you're literally implying that we're the only club to keep getting players who have the ability but are downing tools as part of a conspiracy to keep Spurs from success. Do you believe that?
No I believe that we have players capable enough to win a domestic cup and believe they will.
The reason they failed for the last manager was a combination of things.

But none of those things was because of Levy. It’s been done to death why we kept getting done in the Carabou and FA Cup.

Ive posted a thousand times that we hammered Utd and Chelsea in the league and finished above them in the same seasons they beat us in the cups. So not the squad and lack of signings.
I’m not doing this again.

The other side is what I mentioned earlier.
My expectations have been too high......demanding CLs and PL trophies for our club is absolutely pathetic and I was guilty of it.

We didn’t fail, we just was never good enough to begin with.
Eriksen and Dele and Walker and Rose we all told ourselves we had a group of world class talent. We didn’t. We had a decent squad that was as brilliant as it was shite, depending on the day, the weather, the stars, whatever. Same shit happening today.

We are at the level we are at. I don’t see it as a squad that should be top. I see us as a top 6 club, but I’ll be disappointed with no top 4 asi think the investment has been good enough to get there, in both the players and manager.

So failure to do so will be on them, in my opinion.
But as I said, let’s talk in May. I have faith in the team.
We just needed to spend more money to surround our best players with better players. It's a proven formula. Sure there are some anomalies. Generally speaking it's wiser to emulate methods with a much higher success rate right?
Strengthening weak links isn't novel or outrageous. It's the most simpe concept but the man upstairs has managed to convince people he's a fellow fan.
That’s fine if you feel we should be better than City and Liverpool etc
Personally, as I said, I have come to realise that we just aren’t that good.

When other fans and pundits question the level of our top players, maybe they have a point.

Unfortunately we won't be city in the final we can't defend for shit.
I know it’s a tough ask. It’s one game. 90 mins and a trophy . The fact it’s a final might make us give that extra motivation . City have won shed loads .
Even if we defend it just get dam right lucky with a deflected goal in 92ns minute . I’ll take that.
14 years and no trophy .

mourinho isn’t stupid he knows we have some very average players and winning the league is way beyond us . I think even the players know it themselves .

How can anyone still actually believe this?
He is way past it.
By bringing up Real Madrid that shows just how far back you have to go to provide any sort of substance to your argument.

Well, he won more with ManU than we have for past 20 years as well... if you don't remember it, maybe you are missing some parts.

I think that biggest mistake he did was to trust some of the players. It beats me how he has not understood that so many of our players like Moura, Lamela, Sissoko, Winks, Alli, Doherty, Vinicius, Sanchez, Bale, Gedson, Davies, Bergwijn, Dier are total wank.

Literally the way I feel it - we have 5 superb players in the squad - Kane, Son, Ndombele, Regulion and Hjojberg. 3 out of those were either purchased under him or started actually playing (Ndombele). Then there are few so-so's in Aurier, Lloris and Toby plus some wild cards in Rodon, Lo Celso, Tanganga who have not really played enough.

But overall our material is quite poor. Not enough creativity up top and not enough solidity in defense. Very poor combo. I would actually want to see a coach who would make this lot play beautiful football.

Dunno how you cunts manage it...I put the telly off at fulltime, I couldn't face another second of anyone talking about that fucking abortion of a game...yet you lot of masochists are still dwelling on it...

We are just proper Spurs supporters.
We enjoy suffering.

Will soon look over the highlights of the game ! :D

So Jose blames each goal on individual errors. So, the players concerned see this and think, shit, that was me. How is that encouraging them, developing them, building a team?
As for a rebuilding job, don't count on him being around in 2 years, trophies or not, its not his style.
Look all he needs is the perfect team, defenders that never make any errors, strikers that take every chance and midfielders that can create and defend and all will be fine......or maybe, just maybe like any other manager he could try and build a team making it better than the sum of its parts and be judged on that.

As soon as I saw the line up I cringed . Didn’t expect much .
Not too disappointed as the league is not really our objective this season . No matter how many teams keep dropping points, we will drop more , because we actually arnt that great of a football team .
. But we really have some poor footballers in our squad . Some really arnt at the level

But we do have a manager who knows how to win a cup competition. And we are still on course . We are still in 3 of them ! So let’s not lose sight. All is not lost

How is the league not out objective this season? It is our primary objective to finish top 4 every season.

Back
Top Bottom