Tottenham Hotspur v. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 3pm, Saturday 29th December

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And why are the Fab Four fatigued, but Trippier, Davies and Winks just not good enough
We were out-runned in midfield. Winks and Sissoko playing couple of games in a row. And shocking defending at times.
Against Bournemouth we weren't great either, just brutal at finishing. I don't think we lose that game if there is DM next to Winks or Sissoko.

We were out-runned in midfield. Winks and Sissoko playing couple of games in a row. And shocking defending at times.
Against Bournemouth we weren't great either, just brutal at finishing. I don't think we lose that game if there is DM next to Winks or Sissoko.

But people are pointing to the window and saying certain players are not good enough.

Why aren’t they just seen as fatigued like the popular players?
Is Winks not fatigued and that’s why he was poor?

Why is everyone saying he’s shit?
But when Eriksen plays shit he’s knackered

But when they play well, we usually win.
Why would I complain about them walking about, when they aren’t walking about.

Why would I complain about them against Everton? They were world class.

Yesterday they were toilet and didn’t want it
Exactly. What would you complain about the performance against Everton? Why would I? They played well and didn’t look tired.

Yesterday they were shit and looked tired. Doesn’t have l be one or the other.

Do you honestly believe these professionals didn’t want the glory of a win or their win bonus? Or they played shit on purpose? Or could it possibly have been that they’ve just been run into the ground?

We may well batter Cardiff, but we may well do it after being given a rest from training for a couple of days to recharge.

Fatigue is a valid explanation for our non-existent second half (we didn’t even have a shot) but the first half was a lack of ruthlessness. Just like against Watford earlier in the season we didn’t make the most of a first half where the opponent never tried to cross the halfway line.

There were so many times when we had a clear route to goal but Kane, Eriksen etc cocked up the final pass and the chances evaporated. Aside from a couple of potshots their keeer wasn’t doing any work and their defence wasn’t sweating, we have to be more aggressive in those moments. I don’t remember us having one chance inside the box despite our complete domination of the play.

Of course it’s almlst certain that teams will drop points over this busy period, I remember an awful game against West Ham this time last year where we scraped a 1-1 at Wembley, so we shouldn’t get too carried away. Aside from Liverpool all the chasers have shed points recently.

The absolute fucking state of some of you..The result was poor but some of the comments are beyond embarrassing.. When Woolwich lose the same people post pictures of someone eating Popcorn and boast about how they can't wait for Arse TV and the incoming meltdown.. Well look at yourselves before you mention metldowns, up there with the worst i've seen.
Yes we were poor and deserved nothing but it's that time of year when anything can and does happen, did none of you notice that Man City got beat by Palace last week? i happens, I just hope the players respond better than some of you.
Using terms such as 'bottlers and Spursy' is what we expect from pathetic little trolls from other clubs, but to see your own fans use it... well there are no words. Get a fucking grip and man up.

We have been on an amazing run of games, just come off the back of a 5-0 and a 6-2 masterclass, we knocked Woolwich out of the quarter finals of the league cup, we went to Barca needing a result and we got it. If that is going to be forgotten because of one blip then you need to have a good look at yourselves.
I've seen comments like 'Poch is at fault because he keeps rotating the fullbacks" etc etc, did anyone make those comments when we were winning week in week out?

Results like this can happen but it's how you react and we need to make sure this was just a one off. It's only half way through the season and if you think that one result changes anything then think again.
Liverpool will have a poor result or two at some point, that's how IT works, NO ONE WINS EVERY GAME AND WE ARE NO DIFFERENT.
The players and the manager do not deserve some of the critisism that's been aimed at them today.
Great post SouthStand Billy SouthStand Billy Some people have very short memories. These things happen lets move to the next game.

Fatigue is a valid explanation for our non-existent second half (we didn’t even have a shot) but the first half was a lack of ruthlessness. Just like against Watford earlier in the season we didn’t make the most of a first half where the opponent never tried to cross the halfway line.

There were so many times when we had a clear route to goal but Kane, Eriksen etc cocked up the final pass and the chances evaporated. Aside from a couple of potshots their keeer wasn’t doing any work and their defence wasn’t sweating, we have to be more aggressive in those moments. I don’t remember us having one chance inside the box despite our complete domination of the play.

Of course it’s almlst certain that teams will drop points over this busy period, I remember an awful game against West Ham this time last year where we scraped a 1-1 at Wembley, so we shouldn’t get too carried away. Aside from Liverpool all the chasers have shed points recently.

I agree with everything you say mate the players looked exhausted which is completely understandable with the amount of games we have had. Wolves did not have to play Woolwich away or Barca away and you could see that in the second half they were filled with energy.

I also think another reason for our poor second half was how shit our fans have been at Wembley. Harry Kane scores a wonder goal and its like a morgue. There were a small group of us in 133 trying to get some songs going but they mostly fell flat. People complain about the design of Wembley but there are loads of clubs around the world who have much shitter stadiums and have great atmospheres. I was saying to my mates yesterday that from the crowd it was hard to realise that we are second in the league and have made our best ever start to the prem. What an absolute shower some of our support is.

Regardless the cause of the less than ideal performance, the bit I'm struggling with in particular is specifically how we conceded. The only real threats they offered were pacy breaks and aerial prowess, at least IMO. Off day or not, I would think we could thwart a two pronged attack. Frustrating, but happens to the best of em.

Looking forward to 2019. COYS

It seems like Harry Kane has been practising really hard on his left foot.
I'm two footed but I my left foot was always weaker than my right when it came to booting it.

Exactly. What would you complain about the performance against Everton? Why would I? They played well and didn’t look tired.

Yesterday they were shit and looked tired. Doesn’t have l be one or the other.

Do you honestly believe these professionals didn’t want the glory of a win or their win bonus? Or they played shit on purpose? Or could it possibly have been that they’ve just been run into the ground?

We may well batter Cardiff, but we may well do it after being given a rest from training for a couple of days to recharge.
No I believe they lack mentality and it grates me they people claim “they deserve trophies” and will leave to get them.

Yet they go out there and play like they can beat Wolves in neutral.
Listen Dele wasn’t fatigued....he was piss poor. Ditto Son.

I don’t see why you can’t get that into your head.
Fatigue doesn’t disappear in four days and then come back, and it isn’t dictated by the result of a fucking football match.

Poch should have played Skipp in this one. Why didn't he?

Not a single journalist has seemed to ask Pochettino why he didn't rotate midfield but he did mention that he wanted to bring Skipp on just moments before they equalised but it changed the game so he didn't. Odd really, because bringing Skipp on would at least have seen us more solid defensively at 1-1.

I imagine he starts against Cardiff.

No I believe they lack mentality and it grates me they people claim “they deserve trophies” and will leave to get them.

Yet they go out there and play like they can beat Wolves in neutral.
Listen Dele wasn’t fatigued....he was piss poor. Ditto Son.

I don’t see why you can’t get that into your head.
Fatigue doesn’t disappear in four days and then come back, and it isn’t dictated by the result of a fucking football match.
I can’t get it into my head because I disagree with it. You do understand other people have their own minds an viewpoints?

To confirm yours though, you believe we had a winning mentality against Bournemouth but not four days later against Wolves? You believe his to be in the mind as opposed to the legs that had run around 30k in the previous few days?

I can’t get it into my head because I disagree with it. You do understand other people have their own minds an viewpoints?

To confirm yours though, you believe we had a winning mentality against Bournemouth but not four days later against Wolves? You believe his to be in the mind as opposed to the legs that had run around 30k in the previous few days?

I believe we had a winning mentality that went to our heads and we were unprofessional and underestimated Wolves.

I believe we thought Wolves feared us and would give up and go into some kind of damage limitation mode.
I believe we showed some arrogance and while we wanted to win, we took it for granted that we would.
I believe we played poorly.

I do not believe that fatigue disappears with a few days rest sometimes......and then it comes back all of a sudden. Sometimes.
Then disappears for two months (while winning with style).....then comes back for one game, then disappears for a couple days, then comes back.
Usually after a defeat.

Have your opinion, it’s fucking nonsense.

I believe we had a winning mentality that went to our heads and we were unprofessional and underestimated Wolves.

I believe we thought Wolves feared us and would give up and go into some kind of damage limitation mode.
I believe we showed some arrogance and while we wanted to win, we took it for granted that we would.
I believe we played poorly.

I do not believe that fatigue disappears with a few days rest sometimes......and then it comes back all of a sudden. Sometimes.
Then disappears for two months (while winning with style).....then comes back for one game, then disappears for a couple days, then comes back.
Usually after a defeat.

Have your opinion, it’s fucking nonsense.
And have your opinion too. You may well be correct. We’ll never know.

How much is down to the manager though? Poch waited until the 79th minute to make his first unforced sub against Everton with the game already won (and didn’t takeoff either Kane or Eriksen) and the 77th minute against Bournemouth. Both times, the team had built up a virtually insurmountable lead. He could have rested key team members with upcoming games in mind.

For a manager with a limited squad, he could have, and should have made changes to give his players rest. And maybe he should have used his squad better in the League Cup ie against Woolwich.

Well we will know when the players go another 15 game unbeaten run looking as fresh as they did for the two months before the Wolves game
Ok. Because they’ll also suddenly get a winning mentality again too.

May I ask, if you feel that Dele, Eriksen, Kane and Son amongst others lack this mentality, do you feel they are of the required level for us? Or should they, and the other losers be replaced?

Surely we can’t win anything without players who have a winning mentality?

Back
Top Bottom