Tottenham Hotspur v. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 3pm, Saturday 29th December

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree with everything you say mate the players looked exhausted which is completely understandable with the amount of games we have had. Wolves did not have to play Woolwich away or Barca away and you could see that in the second half they were filled with energy.

I also think another reason for our poor second half was how shit our fans have been at Wembley. Harry Kane scores a wonder goal and its like a morgue. There were a small group of us in 133 trying to get some songs going but they mostly fell flat. People complain about the design of Wembley but there are loads of clubs around the world who have much shitter stadiums and have great atmospheres. I was saying to my mates yesterday that from the crowd it was hard to realise that we are second in the league and have made our best ever start to the prem. What an absolute shower some of our support is.

Our home support is not what it should be. Not just at Wembley but was often the case at the Lane. So many fans will cheer like mad when we score but for the majority of a match they will only be heard when exclaiming or groaning out loud over a misplaced pass or some other fault.
Former players always say how much of a difference great supporters make to a team’s performance and yet collectively we fall short. I hope the new stadium and south stand in particular makes a difference but in all likelihood it will only be the case when the team is doing well.
At Man U away this season their fans surprised me by still singing at 0-3. Would we?

Ok. Because they’ll also suddenly get a winning mentality again too.
I never said they lost their winning mentality I said it went to their heads and they showed a lack of application and respect to the oppo.

May I ask, if you feel that Dele, Eriksen, Kane and Son amongst others lack this mentality, do you feel they are of the required level for us? Or should they, and the other losers be replaced?

I don’t feel they lack a winning mentality or skill set, I think they expect to walk through certain games without putting in the same effort they would against Barca or Chelsea.

I think they have a tendency to think that being patient will always be rewarded rather than sometimes you need to bleed for the cause of you want to win the PL.

Surely we can’t win anything without players who have a winning mentality?

Funny because I’m the only person who thinks the squad is good enough to win stuff with no additions to it.
They don’t need replacing they need people to stop wrapping them in cotton wool and feeding them grapes when they play like cunts.
They need the manager to get off his backside and fucking throw a few tea cups around at half time.
They need hauling off when playing shit. BEFORE the opposition go ahead or equalise.

They need to be told that you’re not world class if you only do it sometimes, and if you want trophies you better win them here, because there isn’t a hope in hell youre leaving one minute before your contracts up.

I never said they lost their winning mentality I said it went to their heads and they showed a lack of application and respect to the oppo.

I don’t feel they lack a winning mentality or skill set, I think they expect to walk through certain games without putting in the same effort they would against Barca or Chelsea.

I think they have a tendency to think that being patient will always be rewarded rather than sometimes you need to bleed for the cause of you want to win the PL.

Funny because I’m the only person who thinks the squad is good enough to win stuff with no additions to it.
They don’t need replacing they need people to stop wrapping them in cotton wool and feeding them grapes when they play like cunts.
They need the manager to get off his backside and fucking throw a few tea cups around at half time.
They need hauling off when playing shit. BEFORE the opposition go ahead or equalise.

They need to be told that you’re not world class if you only do it sometimes, and if you want trophies you better win them here, because there isn’t a hope in hell youre leaving one minute before your contracts up.
Ok

Sammy
I'm trying to understand what you think the problem is exactly (genuinely).

So to be clear, do you believe the following? Feel free to amend where I'm miscontruing your view. I promise this will be respectful.

- This team is good enough to win the league
- The "star" players and Poch are letting us down as opposed to squad/non popular players

And that

- Improving the positions deemed weak to get them on par with our "fab 4" etc will not improve our chances at winning the league or becoming better because it is in fact the current star players and Poch underperforming (yesterday at least) so replacing the attacked players will achieve nothing as they are doing fine or at least on par with the rest of the team?

- It is unreasonable to use the fact that Spurs have been significantly out spent in the market because Poch already has a good enough team

- In the past it was acceptable for us to look to strengthen the team every year but this time it's different because the squad is good enough due to the previous windows and player development.

- That the direct correlation between money spent on wages/transfers and final league standings are irrelevant because of examples like Leicester.

- The main stumbling block in front of us winning the league is the attitude and performances from some/all of our players and the manager.

Our home support is not what it should be. Not just at Wembley but was often the case at the Lane. So many fans will cheer like mad when we score but for the majority of a match they will only be heard when exclaiming or groaning out loud over a misplaced pass or some other fault.
Former players always say how much of a difference great supporters make to a team’s performance and yet collectively we fall short. I hope the new stadium and south stand in particular makes a difference but in all likelihood it will only be the case when the team is doing well.
At Man U away this season their fans surprised me by still singing at 0-3. Would we?

I think one of the issues is pricing. The tickets are so expensive that basically you have priced out teenagers/young adults from attending games. Thats the key to getting a cracking atmosphere.

Sammy
I'm trying to understand what you think the problem is exactly (genuinely).

So to be clear, do you believe the following? Feel free to amend where I'm miscontruing your view. I promise this will be respectful.

- This team is good enough to win the league
- The "star" players and Poch are letting us down as opposed to squad/non popular players

And that

- Improving the positions deemed weak to get them on par with our "fab 4" etc will not improve our chances at winning the league or becoming better because it is in fact the current star players and Poch underperforming (yesterday at least) so replacing the attacked players will achieve nothing as they are doing fine or at least on par with the rest of the team?

- It is unreasonable to use the fact that Spurs have been significantly out spent in the market because Poch already has a good enough team

- In the past it was acceptable for us to look to strengthen the team every year but this time it's different because the squad is good enough due to the previous windows and player development.

- That the direct correlation between money spent on wages/transfers and final league standings are irrelevant because of examples like Leicester.

- The main stumbling block in front of us winning the league is the attitude and performances from some/all of our players and the manager.
Cracking post and I look forward to answering it. Going out now but will answer later

Fuck me you cunts are sad. Infesting an opposition forum like thrush.

Although I suppose a win against Spurs is probably the biggest thing to happen to your side in 35 years.

I think it was this one...

UEFA-Cup-Final-2nd-Leg-Spurs-v-Wolves.jpg
ges

But when they play well, we usually win.
Why would I complain about them walking about, when they aren’t walking about.

Why would I complain about them against Everton? They were world class.

Yesterday they were toilet and didn’t want it
Also,two,completely different games.
We run our socks of in both. Both games could have gone pear shaped for us and we didn’t look convincing defending in the midfield.
Wolves defended very well and limited us to long range shots whereas we had more space in behind with Everton and Bournemouth.
They didn’t play us at our own game.
It made us lethargic. We have seen it before with this team trying to break teams down.
The pace got slower, and then the fatigue ofmplayers affects decisions and lots of stray passes.
We couldn’t even over run them last 20 despite playing at a snails pace, They looked like Spurs and didnwhat we have done regularly
Like the Wolves fans said they rotated their midfield we couldn’t.
As I have said we had one player available to rotate for the whole front six and had to resort to a kid and a player who’s no longer wanted to make up the numbers.
It’s going to get worse as Son is off in January limiting our options even more.
We have done extremely well to be where we are with all the injuries we have had to keybpksyers.
It would be like Liverpool having Henderson, Milner and Keita out and no Fabinho orWinjaldum.
Van Djick missing along with the injured Gomez and throw in Lovren and another CB missing for a few weeks

Last edited:
Felt like one game too many out there today, players clearly fatigued but we've had shit luck all season

• Spurs players going deep into the world cup.
  • Losing Son to an international tournament during the season not just one once but twice.
  • Most of the Spurs players being ft for the Nations league (compare and contrast to Man City).
  • Getting an intense premier league London derby in every round of the league cup.
  • Getting Inter Milan as fourth fucking bottom seeds (usually reserved for Pig farmers) in the champions. league and taking the group to the wire - no let up in intensity or dead rubber games.
  • Wembley debacle - having to schedule 2 games in 3 days due to NFL.
  • Getting shafted by the Christmas fixture list and having the least amount of rest between games.
  • 3 out of 5 CMs being injured - 2 long term and the other to a non footballing injury in the form of appendicitis.
  • Media vultures trying to destabilise the club with Poch rumours.
Given the above I think Poch has been performing miracles this season but I'm not surprised by us hitting the wall Today. The test now is to get a peformance away at Cardiff on Tuesday. Warnock will sniff blood under the floodlights on home soil after today's performance. We have Tranmere after that, hopefully the likes of Llorente and N'kodou will be enough to get us through and we can re-energise key players because we are back to playing 2 intense games a week pretty much all the way through Jan & Feb.

Let's do our bit and get behind the lads because a special season is still in our grasp.

:tobyarm:
I agree about getting such tough draws in the 2 cups. I criticised idiots on here cheering getting Barcelona, inter & Woolwich but the efforts required in getting results in those matches has cost us. A lot of your other comments are also true. Look at MC getting Burton when we have to play Chelsea and Liverpool resting up.
Whilst I know season Ticket holders were happy at getting refunds and being able to miss Wembley matches but did the crowd try and lift the team when we were struggling as happened at WHL.

Nothing left to say here except Wolves were the better side. Came strong last 20 minutes again and we didn't have answers. Genuinely a good team and deserve to be where they are in the league.

I frankly couldn’t care less whether you think I support the club or not - why should your opinion hold any value to me? What you Pochettinho fan girls fail to understand is that he is accountable to us not the other way around. It beggars belief that after five years with no silverware despite having the best Spurs in a generation he is still immune from all criticism. But don’t worry when his tenure comes to an end and I am proven to be right I won’t allow your sought to forget it.

SORT

This team is good enough to win the league

Yes I think this squad is good enough to win the league. If Leicester and Chelsea did it, then I 100% believe we have the quality, but not the luck, mentality, experience, consistency or application.

The star players are the ones that make biggest impact.
We can win games if Davies or Winks have a shocker.
If Eriksen, Dele and Kane play shit, it doesn’t really matter how well Trippier or Sissoko played. Our chances are dramatically reduced, and for me that was the case v Wolves.

People blame the squad, but how many times have we lost a game because of Davies or Dier?
How many times have we lost a game because we had 95 shots and only scored one though?
Clearly not the service is it.
( I’m fully aware Wolves was an anomaly where we registered just 4 shots on goal all game)

Improving the positions deemed weak to get them on par with our "fab 4" etc will not improve our chances at winning the league or becoming better because it is in fact the current star players and Poch underperforming (yesterday at least) so replacing the attacked players will achieve nothing as they are doing fine or at least on par with the rest of the team?

Replacing Davies with Sessegnon won’t make Son stop being a player you flip a coin on whether he’s going to put one in the top corner, or tamely tap it at the keepers shins.

NDombele won’t make Dele pass the ball forward quicker.

My point is that when our key players play shit, it’s not because of those less talented players around them.
Dier could do everything right in a match, but if we lose due to Kane missing sitters or Eriksen giving the ball away, the only thing said will be “we need a new DM”.

Of course we could improve Trippier. We could improve Dele though.
Do people think we’d be better off with Walker back, or keep Trippier and replacing
Dele with Dybala or Sane?

Point being, I expect more from a world class player, than I do Trippier, so if Trippier “isn’t good enough” he isn’t necessarily playing five levels below his capabilities.

It’s not unreasonable if people take into account the fact City spent a billion and Leicester won the league.
Or that this Fab Four that I’m not allowed to criticise, that are so revered beyond reproach cost a combined 40M for all of them.

Too often overlooked by people falsley claiming the only way is to spend big.

In the past it was acceptable for us to look to strengthen the team every year but this time it's different because the squad is good enough due to the previous windows and player development.

It’s different because we are a ten times better team to 5 years ago.
The likes of Chadli won’t improve us anymore.
The stadium will bring in more revenue and we will eventually be able to sign players that can improve the squad.
Some people demand players they’ve never seen play. Some people would have been happy to spend 60M on Zaha.

To me that says it all. It’s not about the club, it’s something to appease their own cravings. I wouldn’t want Zaha here as he would not make us better and that’s the only point in signing a player.

- That the direct correlation between money spent on wages/transfers and final league standings are irrelevant because of examples like Leicester
It’s not irrelevant but it proves there is another way.
On the flip side, people claim Leicester doing it is irrelevant because it doesn’t fit the mantra that you have to spend massive amounts to compete.
So we pretend teams were letting them win and refs gifted them the title.
You know when they won the league?
0-1 Huth at WHL..hardly a game the oppo bent over for them eh.
It was a game where Kane missed several
one on ones and we couldn’t score from some 26 shots. Sound familiar?

In some key games absolutely this

We can win games if Davies or Winks have a shocker.
Not at all - you're only as good as your weakest links. If we leak goals or can't control the midfield - much, much harder. How is that even an argument?

Or do you simply want to rely on Kane and Dele outscoring for us like Berba and Keane did, winning games 7:4,etc. That is not a sustainable model - virtually every title-winning team recently has been build from the back forward. We cannot keep imagining some of our players are title-winning quality when they simply aren't and will never be. Never.

Most recent examples are Liverpool - were leaking goals, and Henderson was poor in midfield - one transfer window later - different story. This has nothing to do with Salah or Mane improving - because they really haven't. Better players improve the team.

Not at all - you're only as good as your weakest links. If we leak goals or can't control the midfield - much, much harder. How is that even an argument?

Or do you simply want to rely on Kane and Dele outscoring for us like Berba and Keane did, winning games 7:4,etc. That is not a sustainable model - virtually every title-winning team recently has been build from the back forward. We cannot keep imagining some of our players are title-winning quality when they simply aren't and will never be. Never.

Most recent examples are Liverpool - were leaking goals, and Henderson was poor in midfield - one transfer window later - different story. This has nothing to do with Salah or Mane improving - because they really haven't. Better players improve the team.

Better players playing poorly under a poor system do not improve the team though.
Hence the first two months of the season (despite good results) we were fairly awful.

Sorry? Henderson? Not VvD today?

but if we lose due to Kane missing sitters or Eriksen giving the ball away, the only thing said will be “we need a new DM”.
But we didn't lose because Kane and Eriksen missed sitters - we lost because 35-year old Moutinho destroyed our midfield in the last 25 minutes of the game and Sissoko, Winks and co. had no answer.

If you still don't understand why people are calling for a quality CM (not DM?) - I suggest rewatch the game

Better players playing poorly under a poor system do not improve the team though.

Sorry? Henderson? Not VvD today?
VVD improved them massively - fact. So did Fabinho and Keita - Henderson has been bench all season

If you honestly believe a quality CM won't improve us - you're beyond help

Back
Top Bottom