Tottenham Hotspur v Portsmouth (FA Cup) (7th Jan - 12.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Went to this yesterday with the boy and a mate and his girlfriend.

Pompey were LOUD, they had the biggest seat allocation I've seen tho, but wow.

Although I think my favourite away fans are the Frankfurt ones with their coordinated scarf waving and cheering. Ze German efficiency ja?

Game wasn't great tbh, but happy seeing Gil get loads of minutes. I don't get how Spence is making a case for himself although apparently it's a 'mature' approach to just pass it straight back. Glad to get the result tho, shocker for Newcastle.

Spence had 20 minutes to make a big impression against tired league one legs a did nothing.
Was quite surprised , his positioning also looked wonky
Probably why he doesn't play

Spence had 20 minutes to make a big impression against tired league one legs a did nothing.
Was quite surprised , his positioning also looked wonky
Probably why he doesn't play
He also looked like he wasn’t allowed to attack the space. Took the ball 5 yards. Stopped, checked back and passed backward or sideways. Happened 3-4 times. Compare to when he had 10 minutes away at Forest and took a few players on and arrived in the box. Conte probably drilling any creativity out of him

He also looked like he wasn’t allowed to attack the space. Took the ball 5 yards. Stopped, checked back and passed backward or sideways. Happened 3-4 times. Compare to when he had 10 minutes away at Forest and took a few players on and arrived in the box. Conte probably drilling any creativity out of him

The idea that Conte is instructing his WB not to attack/create is ridiculous.

This issue is positioning/discipline.. You mention the Forest game, but regardless of how dynamic he looked; his positioning was comically bad in that game...... To the point it hampered our other players. If anything, that's likely been pointed out to him and he was just over-compensating yesterday.

Like many managers; if you can't do what Conte asks tactically; he won't play you.

That's not poor man-management or "drilling the creativity out of a player"...... Pep is no different. These guys want you to be creative/expressive within the context of the role they assign you, rather than "run about a bit" a la Redknapp.

All references to Spence coming out of the club involve him having a lot to learn........ What else exactly do any of you think this means?

People are far too caught up in their prefered narrative ("Conte hates him....", "Conte's sticking it to Levy..... "Spence can run the wing so how could he possibly be any worse than Emerson" etc.) to see the obvious.

Last edited:
Not sure what a tough draw looks like at this stage. Newcastle are out, Liverpool have got a replay at Wolves and either Chelsea or Man City will be knocked out in the 3rd Round. I can't see Oxford beating Woolwich so I think they'll be around for the 4th Round Draw and the only other top team is United who beat Everton last night.

The reality is that we're capable of beating anyone just like we're capable of losing to anyone so maybe we shouldn't put so much stock into who we get. If we're up for it, we'll beat Liverpool at Anfield; if we're not, we'll lose at home to Sheffield Wednesday.
Having watched many of our successful cup runs and the unsuccessful ones it clearly helps to get a good draw. The margins between the top teams is small but the odds of going out are higher if you have to play say2/3 top teams than say just 1. Also if you get a top team you have to play your first 11 or go out whilst a lesser team allows some resting. So non PL team please. We play MC twice in the coming weeks and a 3rd time assuming they beat Chelsea would be bad.

Last edited:
Like many managers; if you can't do what Conte asks tactically; he won't play you.

That's not poor man-management or "drilling the creativity out of a player"...... Pep is no different. These guys want you to be creative/expressive within the context of the role they assign you, rather than "run about a bit" a la Redknapp.
Well maybe then it's Conte's inability to get the players to understand exactly what he's after? If Pep can get his players to do what he wants without dulling attacking intention, then so should Antonio if he is, as we are lead to believe an elite manager.

I’m not sure what Skipp contributed that we can get that excited about. First touch leaves a lot to be desired and that sky over the bar! Sure he’s only been back a handful of games so there is an element of grace but Sarr gave us so much more. He can’t pick out a forward pass and is a walking yellow.
I just rated Sarr and his first half was not great. Missed passes, poor touches, one defensive clearance straight to opponent, one pass straight out of touch and so on. Some good work too of course. Skipps touch was heavy, a little too aggressive trying too hard. But he also got through some good work. I can be patient on both.

Well maybe then it's Conte's inability to get the players to understand exactly what he's after? If Pep can get his players to do what he wants without dulling attacking intention, then so should Antonio if he is, as we are lead to believe an elite manager.

Talking about the integration of Spence.

Whether or not one approves of Contes tactics is its own can of worms.

Or some players aren't naturally intelligent enough, football wise, to get it.

Forget who, but saw an interview with a retired manager who was basically saying that if you have to say the same thing 10 times to a player and they're not getting it. Then maybe it's time to move on from that player.

He also said that the best manager's keep it simple.

Or some players aren't naturally intelligent enough, football wise, to get it.

Forget who, but saw an interview with a retired manager who was basically saying that if you have to say the same thing 10 times to a player and they're not getting it. Then maybe it's time to move on from that player.

He also said that the best manager's keep it simple.

First training sessions pep had with sterling he literally drew a circle on the pitch he wasn’t allowed to move out of. As he just kept wandering into spaces he didn’t want him in!!

Who is that between Gazza and Nayim?
I don't remember the stunt in question but I googled Joe Bloggs Tottenham and got this...

Nice clobber!

00C185A000000190-5326329-image-a-22_1517248885554.jpg

Did this get answered anywhere in the thread? I wasn't sure either. No way its Espen Baardsen as this pic is several years earlier...
Was thinking possibly Pat Van Den Hauwe? - Not really sure though.

I guarantee you they are for sale.
No one is making any offers though
Time for a bargain sale. Not what Levy believes is a bargain but what the rest of the world believes is a bargain.

You want to offer in the region of 20 million for Amrabat but want to sell Tanganga for in the region of 15-20 million.

Only makes sense in Levy's world

Did this get answered anywhere in the thread? I wasn't sure either. No way its Espen Baardsen as this pic is several years earlier...
Was thinking possibly Pat Van Den Hauwe? - Not really sure though.
No it's not Psycho. He was proper handsome. Might be Joe Bloggs?

After investigating I think it may be Phil Gray. Don’t think he played a game for us but was a NI player and played for Sunderland and a few others. Of course I could be totally wrong!
Good shout , never even realized he was Spurs to be honest. A bit before me. Seems he did play a few games for us though. I always think of him as Luton

Not too dissimilar to now! I was thinking that yesterday we just be weird to play against with that kind of line up. Kane and last seasons Son absolutel world beaters. Tanganga, Sess, Royal, Skipp et al were very much league 1 level
True. World class kane & a handful of good players but also quite a lot of dross scattered around.

Back
Top Bottom