Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United (Wembley)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Phil Jone's face always looks like he's just about to be punched

Hmmm....

Phil-Jones-gurning-face-as-Sergio-Aguero-scores.jpg

Phil_Jones.jpg

Phil-Jones.jpg

image.jpg

200px-Phil_Jones_2018-06-28_1.jpg

GettyImages-839568566.jpg

1354033.jpg

...think you could have a point there.

State of some of you melts on here...that's a 5 or 6 one game bar a great goalkeeping performance and sometimes that fucks you over...well played in 2nd half...proud of them all after horrific schedule...
Fuck the melts...

It's almost as if Sissoko has played lots of games and we lack depth. Sounds strange but maybe in some weird totally bizarre way fatigue accumulates and just cos we got away with it so far it doesn't mean it's sustainable particularly as the season progresses.

So confusing

Da fuck? ...Sissoko getting injured doesn't just magically vindicate your poor understanding of what depth is and what injury means to a squad.

Sissoko (inured) < Started season 5th choice.
Wanyama (injured) < Started season 3rd choice.
Demebele (not seen the pitch since injury) < Started season 2nd choice.
Dier (ditto albeit an operation = 'injured') < Started season 1st choice - Mr 'plays if fit'.

Leaving:

Winks < Started season 4th choice.
Skipp < Graduate... Whadya know... He looks good tho'!

....Yep we "lack depth". :pochrolleyes:

Sonny being away whilst Lucas is still injured; we're likely forced to play one of CE or DE deeper for a spell.... Time to resurrect the 'need more AMs' narrative too, gang(*). :pochfacepalm:

(*Serious note here: Please don't sell Llorente now!)

We face a difficult few weeks ahead awaiting Dier & Sissoko, but fuck all his blaming it on depth.... The most alarming depth issue has been the DEPTH of our damn injury list(*), FFS!

(*We've all seen said list... Let's not play ignorant.)

Listen, hands-up, I hope to hell that we sign a CM in the Jan window as this feels like a an emergency (see above - how long before Winks pulls up too?); but in doing so I face the fact that Poch (not Levy!) will likely stay true to his 'no players unless I believe in them' policy which means we may not.

As for the game... Sad day; I've been encouraged by how we've dealt with our injury woes until now; but I think they, combined with the summer's exertions are finally catching up with us a bit now. Frustrating.... This winter has felt more brutal than ever in terms of fixtures. I know many like the poster I quoted will revel in a false sense of vindication and bang the 'more and better signings' drum (other's no doubt like Ossie Wembley will just wanna sack Poch and burn the club down), but this season has proved how we in fact DO have good depth at a decent quality. The difference making step up for us simply seems throwing £200m+ (w/high end wages) on our bench; City-style... Truth is, NWHL or no NWHL, we can't(*). And as evidenced by Liverpool against Watford this week; they haven't either. 'Lucky' for them they're out of the domestic cups, whereas we're still going strong; beating the Chavs through sheer determination just this week.

(*Lessons to be learned from the Woolich this week on that front too!)

We, after today's result, innevitably face familiar questions being raised about 'big game' mentality, but to do so credibly one simply can't ignore the factors I cite above... Today, it's hard to argue we didn't do enough to win the game even if we weren't firing at 100%.

- Offside goal and a couple of other 'ooooooh' moments in the first half (despite the 'no shots on target' death-mantra).
- Mistake leading to a perhaps save-able goal for them.
- 2nd half = lion's share... Alas, finishing wasn't as sharp as it needed to be.
- I think maybe a CB3 with Dav in the middle may have been a better idea today (esp. with Jan's inevitable 'return-rust')... With our CM woes it might be necessary for the interim anyway now (seems we've currently the most numbers fit at the back).

We have a full week off now for the first time in forever; but the squad is still pretty much at full stretch save for FBs, Foyth, Skip & Llorente. With that in mind; a blueprint for the foreseeable few fixtures:

Toby / Dav / Jan
Winks / Eriksen
Aurier / Lamela / Dele / Rose
Kane

Sunday 20th January 2019
Premier League
Fulham - Tottenham

Thursday 24th January 2019
EFL Cup - Semi-Final
Chelsea - Tottenham

Sunday 27th January 2019
The FA Cup - Fourth Round
Crystal Palace - Tottenham

Wednesday 30th January 2019
Premier League
Tottenham - Watford

Saturday 2nd February
Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur - Newcastle United

Sunday 10th February
Premier League
Tottenham Hotspur - Leicester City

Wednesday 13th February
Champions League

Tottenham Hotspur - Borussia Dortmund

Weather the immediate storm (I'd hope we can lean on Skip - and maybe Foyth - at DM against some of the weaker oppo (Fulham, Newcastle)... Focus on beating the Chavs in the 2nd leg and hopefully we'll have been revitalized by a few returning bodies (Dier, Sissoko, Son, Lucas) by the time Dortmund visit.

Call today 'the day the title dream died' if one must, but we still have a lot to look forward to over the rest of the season.

Chin up, Yidos! :tobyarm:

We can't drop points here, we just can't

Agreed

At worst this could be the league table at the end of the weekend:

1. Liverpool - 57
2. Man City - 53
3. Tottenham - 48
4. Chelsea - 47
--------------------------
5. Woolwich - 44
6. Man Utd - 41

We do NOT want to get dragged into a top four race.

Time for us to prove that we're for real.

United fans are getting back to their cocky selves again. Now they’re invincible again. Would be nice to slap some reality into them.

Not long back, so haven't read anything yet.

Not going to do War & Peace I don't have the energy. But feeling down and pleased at the same time is fucking weird.

I thought we edged a very competitive first half, a half that I was expecting before we KO. It wasn't a clean first half from both sides, we weren't at our best but I thought we largely dealt with them but their counter would remain a threat throughout but we were ready for their counters, it's like they weren't a surprise, it's all they had. I thought we stood off them a bit more than we should but after the first 10mins had slightly the better control of the game. Then Mr Calamitty puts his hand up yet again and says I got this, CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYER, no need to mention his name you all know who I'm talking about.

When Sissoko went off all the confidence went out of me, the main reason was he was the muscle that wasn't letting Pogba dictate, without him I feared we would lack this physicality. Well, that 2nd half performance from us was fucking superb, and I do mean superb!! We absolutely played them off the park, our finishing could have been much better and de Gea simply kept them in the game. Our play was quick, incisive, had invention and variation, largely playing through the centre then switching it out wide when at the edge of the box for it to be cut back or played through or over. How the fuck did we not win, let alone not even get a point?!

Winks was fucking outstanding!

Anyway, I promised no War & Peace, I'll leave it here. Fucking gutted at the result delighted with the performance. Big concerns for Sissoko injury for obvious reasons given how many injuries we've got in this position but also for Winks, who has played a lot of games recently and there will come a time when he will hit a brick wall. Also for Kane, I've never bought into the Kane injury an issue previously as we have had Son to play in that position, but with him off to Asia, it's now a big worry.

Bloke a few rows in front of me yesterday caught the ball and got his son to take a photo of him holding it - took about 30 seconds for him to throw it back, we'd just gone 1-0 down and the players were rushing to try to carve out a chance to equalise before half time.

I don't suppose you are reading this, but just in case I'd like to let you know that you Sir are a complete bellend.

Huge respect for United. A true English institution with their trophy count but mostly their support. Forget all the touristy types (we have them too of course) their core support is unequalled i believe. Enormous home crowds throughout the years but for me it's their away support. They realised that modern football was killing the atmosphere so they did something about it. New songs, old songs, clever songs and constantly loud throughout their games. How anyone can compare them to city is beyond me as they are miles apart. I think we have a good support but we have been left behind by United in that regard.

All well and good but they regularly just pillaged the teams below them using their money to take who they want and weaken rivals. Ferdinand from Leeds, Rooney from Everton, Carrick and berbs from us, Cole from Newcastle, Tevez from West Ham the list is endless. Also for such a great side they’ve won the European cup 3 times to madrid’s 14.. I’m not saying they’re not/weren’t good just not having that they’ve done things the right way or whatever. Their fans are mostly spoilt entitled dicks who have no idea how to support a team who doesn’t win all the time.

They say things like ‘he’s such a united player’ about people like Kane and others who aren’t even theirs. They think if Fergie was still there Kane would be a united player now.. fuck them cunts.

To be fair, I refuse to get excited for a big game again after the NLD fiasco.
Utd game is different for me. Most of my life I would write this one off, never ever expected a result against them. Not any more. I love beating these arrogant arseholes.

You know the media would always trotted out how long it was since we beat them at Old Trafford? Here's a stat I've not heard the media say once, doubt we will over the weekend too:

The last time Utd beat us at home in the league was March 2012 (SEVEN years ago!!!!). They have only beaten us at home in the league TWICE in the last decade!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom