Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We need to smash them. That has to be expected. No more of this drained, dull bullshit.

3-0.

If Kane, Alli and Dier are too tired- drop them. Janssen, Winks, Chadli/Njie can take their place.

Wouldn't you say his impressive performance against both Inter Milan and now Everton shows that it would be justified to actually start Janssen. Inter Milan was pre-season yes but an impressive pre-season was what saw Mason get a chance in the Spurs team a few years back.
Just remember that a lot of players looked good against Milan, and then didn't have a great game against Everton. I get what you're saying, but I just don't see him coming in to take anyone's spot just yet. Give it a couple more games to see how everyone's doing, and then make a switch if need be.

I said it before and ill mention it again although for this game we might have :sonlol: back this game but if we start Janssen who do we bring into the game if we have troubles. To me Alli shouldnt be dropped back not because he cant but because in our system it makes him and thus us less effective. Hes shown since hes played with Spurs that hes better suited for attacking and would be asked to do a lot more defending and creating a lot more if hes going to take on the Dembele role. I think its best to go with the same lineup its only the second game and although Dier and Wanyama didnt look great together with another week of training im sure they can figure out a way to get more passes forward and be more creative in space. If anyone was to move into one of their spots id say Winks or move Eriksen back. Just my opinion.

It's not so much that I'm saying Janssen should be our leading man after two decent performances but rather that Dier and Wanyama as the double pivot doesn't work.

It was my fear ahead of the season and it's been proven correct - they are just too similar.
I agree that they are similar types of players, but both have the ability to help push the ball up the field when needed and neither really did. I think that it just goes to show that Poch still doesn't have a great option that he feels 100% comfortable with in that position outside of Moussa.

You are then left with the choice of which of the two are dropped and who plays alongside them. I think Alli or Eriksen in there would both work well. And it's pretty hard to justify keeping Janssen out of the team after the way he changed the game.
I don't agree with Alli or Eriksen in that role, as I just don't think that it's suited to their particular skills or style of play. But I just think that it goes to show that Poch still doesn't have that player that he's 100% comfortable with at the moment outside of Moussa for that role. Mason is just too shaky at times, Bentaleb is obviously falling lower and lower in the pecking order, and some of the youth players are maybe just too big of a risk for him.

For Palace, I'd like to see the same starting lineup with the squad getting another week under their belts. Our offense just couldn't get anything going for a long time in the first half, but if we can start better next game, that should take a little pressure off Wanyama and Dier, and things will finally start to flow.

It will be the next 'big thing'. I think we'll end the season playing 4-4-2.

Edit: or 2 up front at least.

I agree, and I predicted after the Inter game that Poch will use Jansen as the main striker with Kane dropping deep much to the bemusement of some on here.

Many on here were having that silly debate last year about what constitutes a 'striker', how the game has changed, how nobody plays 2 strikers anymore, and how buying a striker would upset Kane, etc. I said then playing 2 strikers was by no means dead and buried in the game, like fashion everything comes back round eventually. There's no way Poch enjoyed having 1 proper striker in the squad last year.

I don't think Poch makes the distinction between home and away. And why should he? What I'm trying to say in a cowardly way, is I like 2 up front. But I'm a footballing dinosaur.
don't worry - these things are cyclical - in a years time you'll be a long range visionary with seer like qualities in determining the direction professional football should be taking.

Because Dier and Dembele are better in central midfield and he is too good to leave out so trying to make him more of an attacking midfielder when in my opinion he will always be suited as a Lampard/Gerrard deeper midfielder.
Lampard was never a 'depper' player - what the fuck are you talking about?

He played exactly where Alli did last season

No he didn't you liar

Well, he did. So you're wrong.

Lampard was never a 'depper' player - what the fuck are you talking about?

He played exactly where Alli did last season
No he would play central midfield alongside Essien with Makelele behind them. Both played central midfield with Makelele the defensive midfield. Chelseas formation was nothing like ours, so you're wrong, again. Don't worry though, can't always be that perfect poster Arcy boy.

I don't think anyone SERIOUSLY thought us beating a half-arsed, unfit Inter 6-1 would mean we would hit the ground running did they??
Pre-seasons are just that: PRE-season!
A 'morale boosting win' is no more an indication that we are going to do well than a 'confidence denting defeat' means we will go down...
Everton away showed us again we are slow starters... but we did one worse last season, and THAT turned out ok...
It's the tired finishes I'm more worried about!

We'll be OK!

Back
Top Bottom