Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's where he played for Mk Dons and where he started out for us. The position got him called up to the England squad. It also allows him to overrun the opposing defence without being picked up unlike in his attacking midfield position where he's mostly ineffective.
You mean the attacking midfield position where he was one of the best last season?

Why do you think Poch plays him as an AM?
Because Dier and Dembele are better in central midfield and he is too good to leave out so trying to make him more of an attacking midfielder when in my opinion he will always be suited as a Lampard/Gerrard deeper midfielder.

He usually performed when he was moved out to the left of the three. Where he ended up being hard to pick up by defenders.
Moving to the left or weaving in the middle, he was still an attacking midfield threat and one of the best in the league. Like Joe said, you negate all of his threats by making him a CM.

Because Dier and Dembele are better in central midfield and he is too good to leave out so trying to make him more of an attacking midfielder when in my opinion he will always be suited as a Lampard/Gerrard deeper midfielder.

Fair enough. 3 into 2 don't go. I think it's more to do with him being a better AM than the other two. Not the other way round - but hey ho.

Moving to the left or weaving in the middle, he was still an attacking midfield threat and one of the best in the league. Like Joe said, you negate all of his threats by making him a CM.
I disagree. What threat disappears by him being a central midfielder? He would still be able to take shots or get into the box as well as be as creative.

He usually performed when he was moved out to the left of the three. Where he ended up being hard to pick up by defenders.

The majority of his goals & assists were from central positions. He does well on the left as well, but as a creative threat he's better going up the middle.

At the moment, Kane is too selfish to play as a 10. I'm sure he could adapt, but he doesn't usually look for players in a better position. It's his most obvious weakness.

I think that a lot of people wrongly equate the fact that Kane plays like a 10 with Kane being a 10. He likes to drop back so he can get the ball, not so that he can get other people involved in the play. He has 8 assists for Spurs since 2012.

The majority of his goals & assists were from central positions. He does well on the left as well, but as a creative threat he's better going up the middle.
No doubt but how many of those were from not being picked up or followed by his man because of him floating around as opposed to how poor he was against Everton by simply sticking to his attacking midfield role and being marked out of the game

I disagree. What threat disappears by him being a central midfielder? He would still be able to take shots or get into the box as well as be as creative.
I don't see him ever getting into a position to score goals. Maybe the occasional one or two but with four other guys in front of him and Rose moving down his flank, he takes a back seat in his threat. I wouldn't have him there at all.

No doubt but how many of those were from not being picked up or followed by his man because of him floating around as opposed to how poor he was against Everton by simply sticking to his attacking midfield role and being marked out of the game
That beautiful goal where he chested the Toby volley would never happen if he was to have a CM role. He would lose those free floating options.

That's daft. How often do Dier and Dembele get 'into the box'? His threat as a goal scoring AM would be hugely diminished. Anyway, we disagree that's fine.

We don't know the directions opposing teams are given, but I all but guarantee that after last season managers are specifically pointing to Kane & Alli as our biggest threats.

That beautiful goal where he chested the Toby volley would never happen if he was to have a CM role. He would lose those free floating options.

I disagree. His first goal for the club against Leicester saw him score a header from 1 yard out after bursting into the box from a central midfield position. Lampard made a career out of doing it.

That's daft. How often do Dier and Dembele get 'into the box'? His threat as a goal scoring AM would be hugely diminished. Anyway, we disagree that's fine.

Different sort of players. Dier is strictly a defense minded central midfielder. Dembele doesn't have that knack for that sort of thing. Alli is one of those who will go beyond the opposition defence and try and score. I don't like to continue using the example but Lampard is the perfect example. Played central midfield yet always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

He played CM for MK Dons.

Don't see why he couldn't do the same for us. Plus he'd only be playing there when Dembele is suspended. I have no problem with Alli playing AM but I don't see how dropping him to CM makes him LESS effective.

Back
Top Bottom