Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I disagree. His first goal for the club against Leicester saw him score a header from 1 yard out after bursting into the box from a central midfield position. Lampard made a career out of doing it.

Different sort of players. Dier is strictly a defense minded central midfielder. Dembele doesn't have that knack for that sort of thing. Alli is one of those who will go beyond the opposition defence and try and score. I don't like to continue using the example but Lampard is the perfect example. Played central midfield yet always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

He played CM for MK Dons.

Don't see why he couldn't do the same for us. Plus he'd only be playing there when Dembele is suspended. I have no problem with Alli playing AM but I don't see how dropping him to CM makes him LESS effective.

I know where he played. Dressage on now. :kaneshh:

I disagree. His first goal for the club against Leicester saw him score a header from 1 yard out after bursting into the box from a central midfield position. Lampard made a career out of doing it.
Different sort of players. Dier is strictly a defense minded central midfielder. Dembele doesn't have that knack for that sort of thing. Alli is one of those who will go beyond the opposition defence and try and score. I don't like to continue using the example but Lampard is the perfect example. Played central midfield yet always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

Don't see why he couldn't do the same for us. Plus he'd only be playing there when Dembele is suspended. I have no problem with Alli playing AM but I don't see how dropping him to CM makes him LESS effective.

Why would you have Dele playing in the pivot vice Eriksen?

Ok, bored with the dancing horse comp. Didn't Lampard play most of his career in the centre of a 4-4-2? I'm not trying to split hairs, but it's not the same position as a modern CM.

Ok, bored with the dancing horse comp. Didn't Lampard play most of his career in the centre of a 4-4-2? I'm not trying to split hairs, but it's not the same position as a modern CM.
Don't know if Chelsea really ever played 4-4-2. Most recently he also played at Man City who definitely didn't play a 4-4-2 and he still managed to get into the box from a central midfield position. Like I said, I wouldn't want him playing CM all the time because he is no where near the level of Dembele and Dier is too important to how we play - but when we need something different in attack, he'd be the first I'd drop out of Lamela, Eriksen and Kane to make way for Janssen.

Like I said, I wouldn't want him playing CM all the time because he is no where near the level of Dembele and Dier is too important to how we play - but when we need something different in attack, he'd be the first I'd drop out of Lamela, Eriksen and Kane to make way for Janssen.
I didn't get that from your posts, and with that I could possibly agree with. The only problem I see though is that I have noticed on occasion when Alli loses possession he's sometimes slow to get up and fight to get the ball back, that could be VERY dangerous if he did that in his CM position.

I didn't get that from your posts, and with that I could possibly agree with. The only problem I see though is that I have noticed on occasion when Alli loses possession he's sometimes slow to get up and fight to get the ball back, that could be VERY dangerous if he did that in his CM position.
I just wonder if that's because he's playing higher up and knows he has Wanyama/Dembele and Dier to mop up behind him. It's still lazy from him regardless. He played a number of games in central midfield for us last season and I don't recall any glaring errors in that sense.

Dele losing possession is the number one reason I would put Eriksen back there before him.

Though this entire line of thinking is sort of moot, because I don't think Janssen is going to start.

Would be madness to start the same team as the Everton game. It's clear that one of Wanyama or Dier needs to be dropped and based on Poch keeping the former on last time I reckon Dier will be dropped.

You then play Alli or Eriksen beside him and start Janssen up top and we'll be a much greater attacking force.

Would be madness to start the same team as the Everton game. It's clear that one of Wanyama or Dier needs to be dropped and based on Poch keeping the former on last time I reckon Dier will be dropped.

You then play Alli or Eriksen beside him and start Janssen up top and we'll be a much greater attacking force.

Nope. Knee-jerk reaction is the only justification for this move. Dier was solid during his time and Kane wasn't given anything to work with. If anything, I'd stop playing Kane so far back and give us something to target in the box.

Janssen looked good but 30 good minutes against a few rusty players isn't enough to justify the switch.

Nope. Knee-jerk reaction is the only justification for this move. Dier was solid during his time and Kane wasn't given anything to work with. If anything, I'd stop playing Kane so far back and give us something to target in the box.

Janssen looked good but 30 good minutes against a few rusty players isn't enough to justify the switch.
Wouldn't you say his impressive performance against both Inter Milan and now Everton shows that it would be justified to actually start Janssen. Inter Milan was pre-season yes but an impressive pre-season was what saw Mason get a chance in the Spurs team a few years back.

It's not so much that I'm saying Janssen should be our leading man after two decent performances but rather that Dier and Wanyama as the double pivot doesn't work.

It was my fear ahead of the season and it's been proven correct - they are just too similar.

You are then left with the choice of which of the two are dropped and who plays alongside them. I think Alli or Eriksen in there would both work well. And it's pretty hard to justify keeping Janssen out of the team after the way he changed the game.

Vorm
Walker Toby Jan Rose
Dier Alli
Lamela Kane Eriksen
Janssen​

Back
Top Bottom