Tottenham Hotspur FC v Sport Lisboa e Benfica

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm really looking forward to this game, purely to see what reaction the players have to the events of the past few days. Haven't felt this excited about a Spurs game in a while!

It's a shame that this match is coming when we're having an implosion as it takes some of the gloss of it.

This is a huge tie historically for us. Benfica are the side who stopped us (by fair means or foul) from winning the European Cup. If they or the ref hadn't been bent then we would have a big shiny pot in the trophy room already as whoever won our semi would have gone on to win.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a win including a couple of offside goals in this tie, just to make the point you know.
Excellent, a disagree from a user called 'Arsene' with 0 posts. :adelol:
You'd think they'd be more subtle...

I don't need to be sutble. If I wanted to be subtle I wouldn't have clicked on "disagree". It's just that you reminded me of sporting, our neighbours, whining about a referee from over 50 years ago, or of porto who like to win with offside goals or non-existent penalties. I tend to "disagree" with them as well, as you can imagine.

I hope and I think it will be a good couple of games and may the best team win. Best of luck.

I'm really looking forward to this game, purely to see what reaction the players have to the events of the past few days. Haven't felt this excited about a Spurs game in a while!

I think Woolwich will be the telling fixture. We have had plenty of "We must improve/perform" type comment from players and its rarely lasted beyond a match.

If we can do it tonight and at the weekend then I might start to think the big meeting had the desired effect.

I don't need to be sutble. If I wanted to be subtle I wouldn't have clicked on "disagree". It's just that you reminded me of sporting, our neighbours, whining about a referee from over 50 years ago, or of porto who like to win with offside goals or non-existent penalties. I tend to "disagree" with them as well, as you can imagine.

I hope and I think it will be a good couple of games and may the best team win. Best of luck.
Ah, so I was wrong, you are a Benfica fan, I thought you were Woolwich, my apologies.
So what is your view on that semi final, honestly.

I honestly have only seen the goals on very poor quality images. Even the finals from those days had dodgy TV coverage (which is a great shame for me as most finals Benfica went to were in the 60s).

The impression I get was that the games with Tottenham were the most difficult couple of games in the whole competition for Benfica that year, and that it could have fallen to either side. I think Guttman (our coach then) said at the time that it would be more difficult to get through the semi final than to beat Real Madrid in the final, so there you have it. In think that from that time Benfica fans have a fondness and respect for Tottenham, as they know how tough it was to get to that final.

I think we would agree that it was a tough semi final. Benfica had a great team back them and so did we. The reason we whine is because we had several goals disallowed for offside including ...
Greaves crossed from the right wing for Smith to beat goalkeeper Costa Pereira. The referee signalled a goal, but despite the presence of two Benfica defenders on the goal-line, a linesman was flagging frantically for offside and Spurs saw the effort disallowed.
We do not deny that Benfica were a great team. You were good enough to beat us without help from the officials, so it is a shame that it happened that way.

Plus, it took us 50 years to get back into the competition so we've had a lot of time to think about it....

I was not even aware of that. If so, that is in fact a shame. Let's hope none of that happens now, for either side.
You see, you've won the cup and had other seasons in the competition to take you mind off it. 62 was our only chance and still remains a great 'if only'.

Back to tonight, the way we've been going recently i'd say there's bound to be a dodgy penalty/sending off. Tell your boys to stay away from Vertonghen's beautiful face or it might be one of them:vert:

You see, you've won the cup and had other seasons in the competition to take you mind off it. 62 was our only chance and still remains a great 'if only'.

Back to tonight, the way we've been going recently i'd say there's bound to be a dodgy penalty/sending off. Tell your boys to stay away from Vertonghen's beautiful face or it might be one of them:vert:
If you touch his face all of his strings fall off.

Really hoping for a strong team tonight. I want that big beautiful trophy.

Graham-Roberts-and-Gary-Mabbutt-lift-the-1984-UEFA-Cup.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the line-up. Can't remember being this intrigued to see who gets picked, and whether there will be any telling omissions following the fall-out of the Chavs game.

Yeah, we should keep the trophy in London, taking over from Chelsea.
If the scum fails to win the FA Cup, we have at least something to brag about over their continued trophy drought.

Back
Top Bottom