Top 10 Club Legends

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nicholson
Rowe
Greaves
Mackay
Blanchflower
Jennings
Perryman
Gilzean
King
Gascoigne

Rarely do you find a true footballing legend who has played for and successfully managed the same club so the top two are 'no brainers' and Mr Greaves comes third in a heartbeat. The rest make up the team of ten but with no particular ranking, all have given me wonderful memories and treasured moments.
(Sincere apologies to Glen Hoddle...you were 11th)

Impossible to pick 10, since every member of the 1901 Cup winning side (only non-league team to win the FA Cup), the 1951 League winning side and the Double side deserve to be called legends. Outside of these - Greaves and Perryman should certainly be added. And I haven't even started listing more recent deserving players.
However, I do think that anyone who left us at the height of their usefulness (Sheringham, Berbatov, Bale, Modric, Klinsmann, Keane) doesn't deserve the title of Legend. Just my opinion, but I do have strong feelings on this subject.

Agree with that.

Classic player would be Vivian Woodward, probably regarded as a legend in his day - which mean playing for Spurs from 1901 through to 1910 playing over 130 games and scoring about 1 in 2 games....as an amateur.

Played for England both professionally (when that side only played the home countries scoring 29 goals in 23 matches - a record standing until the 1950s) as well as an amateur (playing Germany, France and other continental sides) scoring a further 57 goals in 44 appearances. FIFA (but not FA) retrospectively reclassified some of the amateur matches as full internationals - had the FA followed suit, Woodward would probably still be England's highest scorer of all time.

Yet as he died in 1954, before most us were born, I doubt if he or others of his generation who played for Spurs will usually appear in any 'Top 10 Players' . Of course it doesn't help that he moved from Spurs to Chelsea after 10 years playing in our colours !

I'd suggest most of even our older posters will actually only name players who played from 1960's onwards, which is logical, but not necessarily fair to players from the first 80 years or so of our club's history.

)

Nicholson
Rowe
Greaves
Mackay
Blanchflower
Jennings
Perryman
Gilzean
King
Gascoigne

Rarely do you find a true footballing legend who has played for and successfully managed the same club so the top two are 'no brainers' and Mr Greaves comes third in a heartbeat. The rest make up the team of ten but with no particular ranking, all have given me wonderful memories and treasured moments.
Sorry Borodin no all time lineup is complete without the Hod.......secret gooner..... :sonhmm:

Sorry Borodin no all time lineup is complete without the Hod.......secret gooner..... :sonhmm:
Legend is a difficult word to define, does it mean a great player to watch play, a devoted team member with a long and famous career or someone who devoted his whole life to the club ?
The members who comprise these listings will be of varying ages, some being able to remember players from the 50's right up to the youngsters who can only recall this century. Ten is an extremely small number with which to cast a net over genuine Spurs legends.

Unequivocally the names Nicholson,Rowe and Greaves must appear because they epitomise not only a legend status but also the very heart and soul of what this wonderful football club is all about. They lived and breathed Tottenham Hotspur.

So we are left with just a magnificent 7. We were asked for our opinions and we are giving them, please feel free to comment but do not pass judgement on mine'. I did not do so with yours.
The opening post said........... "I’m putting no conditions on this. " Kindly do the same and respect my selection.

"secret gooner" ?? You are having a laugh so I'll excuse it (this once) :bmj:

Last edited:
I'd suggest most of even our older posters will actually only name players who played from 1960's onwards, which is logical, but not necessarily fair to players from the first 80 years or so of our club's history.
I was just thinking the same thing and off the top of my head:

Bobby Buckle
Vivian Woodward
Fanny Walden
Jimmy Dimmock
Bill Nicholson
Danny Blanchflower
Jimmy Greaves
Steve Perryman
Glen Hoddle
Graham Roberts

My hey-day was the 1980s so picking crowd favourite Graham Roberts reflects that - as well as the fact that he's remained Spurs through and through. My dad grew up watching Arthur Rowe's team so I'm well versed on how great Bill Nic was as a player, as well as manager. My dad also waxes lyrical about Ted Ditchburn, Len Duquemin and Tommy Harmer. I'd also like to give an honourable mention to Chris Hughton.

I've just remembered that about 10 years ago I asked my dad who he considered the greatest living Englishman. Quick as a flash he replied, Ledley King. Yep, he should be in the top 10 but not sure who I'd leave out of my above list.

Nice civilised thread👍🏻

All player I’ve seen playing:

Chivers
Mullary
Perryman
Jennings
Ozzie
Hoddle
Waddle
Allen
Bale
Kane

Just before my time but grew up with their names still constant in conversation.

Blanchflower
Greaves
Jones

Club legends can also be confused with favourite players each is difficult to separate what makes a legend.....loyalty.....appearances.....goals.......100% effort or saying the right thing at the right time! Each thing mentioned would contribute I'd say. A lot of names mentioned by posters have obviously not seen them live and my choices are likewise with some but one or two I've had the privilege to watch them in a Tottenham shirt......
1. MacKay
2. Greaves
3. Roberts
4.kane
5.sheringham
6.Hoddle
7.Ardiles
8.Archibald
9.Perryman
10.Gilzean
as chosen Kane is the only one worthy in the modern era Vertonghen comes close though.

Club legends can also be confused with favourite players each is difficult to separate what makes a legend.....loyalty.....appearances.....goals.......100% effort or saying the right thing at the right time! Each thing mentioned would contribute I'd say. A lot of names mentioned by posters have obviously not seen them live and my choices are likewise with some but one or two I've had the privilege to watch them in a Tottenham shirt......
1. MacKay
2. Greaves
3. Roberts
4.kane
5.sheringham
6.Hoddle
7.Ardiles
8.Archibald
9.Perryman
10.Gilzean
as chosen Kane is the only one worthy in the modern era Vertonghen comes close though.

I’d put King in there ahead of Teddy. Maybe even Mabbutt.

Nicholson
Rowe
Greaves
Mackay
Blanchflower
Jennings
Perryman
Gilzean
King
Gascoigne

I loved Ledley, Big Pat, Gilly and Gazza as much as any Spurs supporter, but Glenda has to be in before any of those - good luck with choosing which one :)
(That's why I couldn't keep the list down to 10!)

I loved Ledley, Big Pat, Gilly and Gazza as much as any Spurs supporter, but Glenda has to be in before any of those - good luck with choosing which one :)
(That's why I couldn't keep the list down to 10!)

What a very diplomatic way of saying you think I'm wrong ;) 😉. Glenn was 11th but when you ask for ten and the first three (in my opinion) automatically pick themselves you are really only talking of 7 to this old stager and that is difficult. For some reason Glenn's tenure as manager weighed heavy and I recall Daniel Levy giving his reasons for having to sack him, so taking that into account as well Gazza just pipped him for me.

(Have a great day tomorrow :thumbup::thumbup:)

What a very diplomatic way of saying you think I'm wrong ;) 😉. Glenn was 11th but when you ask for ten and the first three (in my opinion) automatically pick themselves you are really only talking of 7 to this old stager and that is difficult. For some reason Glenn's tenure as manager weighed heavy and I recall Daniel Levy giving his reasons for having to sack him, so taking that into account as well Gazza just pipped him for me.

(Have a great day tomorrow :thumbup::thumbup:)
Not wrong, just don't agree, world would be boring if everyone thought the same way.

You too :)

Agree with that.

Classic player would be Vivian Woodward, probably regarded as a legend in his day - which mean playing for Spurs from 1901 through to 1910 playing over 130 games and scoring about 1 in 2 games....as an amateur.

Played for England both professionally (when that side only played the home countries scoring 29 goals in 23 matches - a record standing until the 1950s) as well as an amateur (playing Germany, France and other continental sides) scoring a further 57 goals in 44 appearances. FIFA (but not FA) retrospectively reclassified some of the amateur matches as full internationals - had the FA followed suit, Woodward would probably still be England's highest scorer of all time.

Yet as he died in 1954, before most us were born, I doubt if he or others of his generation who played for Spurs will usually appear in any 'Top 10 Players' . Of course it doesn't help that he moved from Spurs to Chelsea after 10 years playing in our colours !

)
John Cameron and Jimmy Dimmock spring to mind.

Back
Top Bottom