Top 10 Club Legends

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was just thinking the same thing and off the top of my head:

Bobby Buckle
Vivian Woodward
Fanny Walden
Jimmy Dimmock
Bill Nicholson
Danny Blanchflower
Jimmy Greaves
Steve Perryman
Glen Hoddle
Graham Roberts

My hey-day was the 1980s so picking crowd favourite Graham Roberts reflects that - as well as the fact that he's remained Spurs through and through. My dad grew up watching Arthur Rowe's team so I'm well versed on how great Bill Nic was as a player, as well as manager. My dad also waxes lyrical about Ted Ditchburn, Len Duquemin and Tommy Harmer. I'd also like to give an honourable mention to Chris Hughton.
At last he gets a mention.No one(including me) mentioned a bloke who without, the club may not exist at all.
That's a legend in my book.

For me personally Hoddle is the biggest legend and the player I admire the most.

Really not trying to be Devil's Advocate here but how would you rate Glenn's time with the club as a manager rather than a player ?. I would genuinely be interested in your viewpoint....was Levy right to sack him ?

What’s funny about Bale?

What is scary tho, I haven’t named a player between Clive Allen and Gareth Bale, that’s about a 25 year gap🤭

O course Ledley King will always be a club legend, but just didn’t make the 10, would have made an 11!!
Ledley King is not a club legend in the top 10 but Gareth Bale is...cmon now.

So it's easy to cross over between best player and legend, as this thread shows. A best player list doesn't necessarily include legends, well not in my book. Legendary status verses player brilliance. I don't think a player has to be seen as brilliant to quantify being a legend. Anyway, in reverse order...

10 Rafael van der Vaart
09 Jan Vertonghen
08 Paul Gascoigne
07 Danny Blanchflower
06 Benoit Assou-Ekotto
05 Graham Roberts
04 Osvaldo Ardiles
03 Glenn Hoddle
02 Bill Nickolson
01 Arthor Rowe (not one person has mentioned him! Pffft!)

So it's easy to cross over between best player and legend, as this thread shows. A best player list doesn't necessarily include legends, well not in my book. Legendary status verses player brilliance. I don't think a player has to be seen as brilliant to quantify being a legend. Anyway, in reverse order...

10 Rafael van der Vaart
09 Jan Vertonghen
08 Paul Gascoigne
07 Danny Blanchflower
06 Benoit Assou-Ekotto
05 Graham Roberts
04 Osvaldo Ardiles
03 Glenn Hoddle
02 Bill Nickolson
Check my list...he was number two...and by the way....it's Arthur.... and Nicholson (or God.

Last edited:
I'll not question another member's choices regarding players as their age obviously has to be taken into consideration. Just trust the old man on this one though, if God had been asked this question then the name Jimmy Greaves would have been one of the first on his list. :thumbup: .

In no particular order
Jennings
Hoddle
Bale
Jones
Perryman
Kane
Crooks
Nicholson
Ardiles
Villa

When I was about 17 (I am 50 now), I saw Garth Crooks in one of the most dodgy clubs/drinking dens that I have ever been to. The club was tiny. Being a bit/quite drunk, I decided to go up and try to talk to Crooks, he was with four other blokes. I thought he would just fob me off. I idolised him and Archibald when I was younger.

He was super polite and friendly. And he seemed really interested in what it was like to experience games as a fan. He asked me what it was like on the shelf -the atmosphere, the view, etc. We also talked about individual games and goals that I had seen him score. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy. For me, it was an amazing experience.

My intention here isn't to brag or boast or anything like that. I just wanted to share a fantastic Spurs experience that I had.

10 Rafael van der Vaart
09 Jan Vertonghen
08 Paul Gascoigne
07 Danny Blanchflower
06 Benoit Assou-Ekotto
05 Graham Roberts
04 Osvaldo Ardiles
03 Glenn Hoddle
02 Bill Nickolson
Benny?
No Greaves?
Each to their own - but you're not the only one to omit him. Not sure why such a prolific goalscorer over so many years wouldn't be considered either great or legendary, in club footballing terms.

Benny?
No Greaves?
Each to their own - but you're not the only one to omit him. Not sure why such a prolific goalscorer over so many years wouldn't be considered either great or legendary, in club footballing terms.

Greaves netted 266 times during a glorious nine-year stint at Tottenham, becoming our all-time leading scorer and winning two FA Cups and a European Cup Winners’ Cup in the process.
I would have thought that might have warranted his inclusion over Benny too :thumbdown: but as you say, each to their own.

Last edited:
Benny?
No Greaves?
Mister Greaves was a great player, but he was also a cunt apparently. Both during and after his career. I mean, why would a football club not include it's all time goal scorer in their wall of fame? OK, he's there now but you get the point.

Why would I include Benny over our top goal scorer? Did you ever see Benny galavanting around the place with fags, booze and women? Did he come across as being a cunt because he wrote lol after every tweet?

Mate, like I said, it's easy to cross over between best player and legend. If this was a best player list Jimmy would be in it, but it's not.

Check my list...he was number two...and by the way....it's Arthur.... and Nicholson (or God.
You were around in the sixties? It doesn't matter either way.

Bill Nickolson was the yesteryear version of Pep Guardiola and Tottenham were the oil riggers, buying any player they wanted at that time.

Author Rowe invented modern day football.

Like to you say, each to their own but for the me, it's Nickolson two, Rowe one.

Back
Top Bottom