Top 10 Club Legends

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dr Rocktopus

🎃🦇🎃🦇🎃
Fairly self explanatory.

I’m putting no conditions on this. It could be players you’ve experienced in your lifetime, or it could be a mix of recent and historical names. No first elevens, just a top 10 list.

For context, I started supporting Spurs in 1990, so inevitably I’m going to lean towards players I watched. Yet I also watched historical videos and have read about our past in detail, because supporting Spurs is about the past, the present, and the future.

So in no particular order (though feel free to have a 1 to 10):

Greaves
Mackay
Blanchflower
Hoddle
Jennings
Gazza
Modric
King
Bale
Kane

Special mention to Klinsmann, Ginola, Mabbutt, Sheringham, Roberts, Archibald, and Berbatov. Maybe Defoe.

Fairly self explanatory.

I’m putting no conditions on this. It could be players you’ve experienced in your lifetime, or it could be a mix of recent and historical names. No first elevens, just a top 10 list.

For context, I started supporting Spurs in 1990, so inevitably I’m going to lean towards players I watched. Yet I also watched historical videos and have read about our past in detail, because supporting Spurs is about the past, the present, and the future.

Greaves
Mackay
Blanchflower
Hoddle
Jennings
Gazza
Modric
King
Bale
Kane

Special mention to Klinsmann, Ginola, Mabbutt, Sheringham, Roberts, Archibald, and Berbatov. Maybe Defoe.
I would add Perryman to that list.

Fairly self explanatory.

Greaves
Mackay
Blanchflower
Hoddle
Jennings
Gazza
Modric
King
Bale
Kane

Greaves
Hoddle
Modric
Bale
Klinsmann
Ginola
Sheringham
Gascoigne
Mabbutt
Jennings

I would add Perryman to that list.

That’s the problem with history. I know next to nothing about him other than him being a famous captain of ours.

I’d love to see this thread turn into an appreciation thread for past players. I enjoy reading about talents from our past.

On a personal level, Nicky Barmby was a hero to me when I was about 14 years old. He broke into the side at 18, and looked like the real deal. It never really happened for him (damned shin splints), but for a few months he was our wonder kid.

Purely biased. Ossie. My first away game. Spurs v Altrincham at Maine Road. Their nonleague Neanderthal (John King) was threatening how badly he was going to thrash us & kill Ossie. Ardiles waltzed round the beardy fucktard all night. Poetry. Nothing beats the very first time you fall head over heels

Hoddle
Perryman
Miller
Ardiles
Villa
Hughton
Roberts
Archibald
Klinsmann
Mabbutt

Off the top of my head.

Honourable mention to Parks, Clive Allen & Gascoigne.

That’s the problem with history. I know next to nothing about him other than him being a famous captain of ours.

I’d love to see this thread turn into an appreciation thread for past players. I enjoy reading about talents from our past.

On a personal level, Nicky Barmby was a hero to me when I was about 14 years old. He broke into the side at 18, and looked like the real deal. It never really happened for him (damned shin splints), but for a few months he was our wonder kid.
Yeah, I see your point
He was part of the '67 squad, won the Uefa cup twice ('72 and '84) along with 2 FA Cups and 2 League cups.
Played 866 times for us and quite possibly never had a bad game
Played in nearly every position possible
He was never a "flair" player, and never tried to be. He said it was easy for him, in the '80s as all he had to do was get the ball and give it to Hoddle. What he did, he did very well.
An absolute professional.
Only got 1 England cap, which I think the FA tried to turn into a "B" cap. It was where England played 2 internationals on the same day IIRC and the manager at the time (?) insisted both sides got a full England cap.

Back
Top Bottom