Top 10 Club Legends

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cant believe Assou-Ekotto isnt getting the fame that he deserves here!
Not going to lie, given my age I only really started supporting the club in the late 2000s (when I was about 8 and my uncle introduced me to the club). Disco Benny is still one of my favourites, absolutely loved that guy. Out of who I've seen play the list would basically just incorporate the best players from the last 10-15 years. Well and truly aware of the historical club legends though. Special shout out to Walter Tull, the third black player to play league football (i think) and then went and fought in the war during his prime. I know he isn't particularly a club legend but I think that guy deserves legend status just because of what he went through personally. Might not be top 10 or anything but he deserves a lot of praise for what he did as a human and it's good that our club is associated with him in some capacity.

Historically I'd have a top 3 of Greaves, Bill Nic and Hoddle.

Proper commentary too!! Talking you through the game, not a fucking irrelevant stat is spoken.

That first time forward pass by Mike England to Gilly. We need more of that these days.

Also Jimmy Pearce’s lay-off was meant for Steve Perryman (who backs off) but Mullery comes charging through and keeps the momentum of the attack going, leaving Perryman in space for the 1-2 Lovely stuff. That lovely bit of football was 48 years ago. I’d like to think that some of our newer fans appreciate that fact.

Notice the ref ducking out of the way when Perryman picks up the ball from Peters. You wouldn’t see that these days from the self-important, self-obsessed ‘look at me’ cunts.

Last edited:
That first time forward pass by Mike England to Gilly. We need more of that these days.

Also Jimmy Pearce’s lay-off was meant for Steve Perryman (who backs off) but Mullery comes charging through and keeps the momentum of the attack going, leaving Perryman in space for the 1-2 Lovely stuff. That lovely bit of football was 48 years ago. I’d like to think that some of our newer fans appreciate that fact.

Notice the ref ducking out of the way when Perryman picks up the ball from Peters? You wouldn’t see that these days from the self-important, self-obsessed ‘look at me’ cunts.
Never got to see Mike England play, by all accounts he was one of the best defenders of his generation. I'm sure most of us Spurs have all been told this but mention his name outside of Spurs circles and all you get is blank faces.

Never got to see Mike England play, by all accounts he was one of the best defenders of his generation. I'm sure most of us Spurs have all been told this but mention his name outside of Spurs circles and all you get is blank faces.

Nor me, but I love it when players see a killer pass and have the confidence to execute it without taking a touch.

Notice the ref ducking out of the way when Perryman picks up the ball from Peters. You wouldn’t see that these days from the self-important, self-obsessed ‘look at me’ cunts.
...and the fact we were still able to play that type of football on THAT pitch makes you realise how self-entitled all the Man City Prima Donas were who almost persuaded the FA to call off our recent game 'cos of a few divets and on-pitch markings... (mind you, some of our players mentioned 'the state of' the pitch too!)
Footballers have been spoilt!

...and the fact we were still able to play that type of football on THAT pitch makes you realise how self-entitled all the Man City Prima Donas were who almost persuaded the FA to call off our recent game 'cos of a few divets and on-pitch markings... (mind you, some of our players mentioned 'the state of' the pitch too!)
Footballers have been spoilt!
That was the beginning of November that year so only had 7 first team games on it. By April it used to look like Bondi beach. The pitch for the city game would have been considered in good condition, less the artwork.
In those days though the reserve team games were also played on it.

Was chatting to the old man about this, his view is Mike England was the best centre back he has seen in a Spurs shirt. Since then only King and Vertonghan can be compared.

Gilzean was the best header of a ball he has seen and if Steve Perryman and Hoddle were playing now they would have 100 caps for England each.

Mind he also thinks Dembele has never been good enough so it's all subjective!!

From my years of watching us (69-70 - present)

Pat Jennings
Paul Robinson
Steve Perryman
Michael Dawson
Alfie Conn
Alan Gilzean
Terry Naylor
Ossie Ardiles
David Ginola
H.

I can't include Glenn Hoddle because of the C connection.

Aaron Lennon is not popular here but he is indeed a club legend. Right?

Watching Burnley v Newcastle made me remember him :)
Wouldn't have him as a legend but he's a noteworthy player. I think the fact that players no longer have testimonials these days effects how players are thanked or remembered.

One of the most fitting ways to open the new stadium IMO would be to host a one-off testimonial game for Dawson, Lennon, Huddlestone, all just short of 10yrs of service, add Kaboul (if things weren't too fucked with him at the end), Carroll, Townsend for being one of our own. What about van der Vaart too??? Have one of the teams managed by Mason so we can all be given the opportunity to applaud him, show him our love in person, sign his name and cement him to the club whilst he establishes himself as a coach.

None of these players are legends but they are important players and should be recognised as such.

Wouldn't have him as a legend but he's a noteworthy player. I think the fact that players no longer have testimonials these days effects how players are thanked or remembered.

One of the most fitting ways to open the new stadium IMO would be to host a one-off testimonial game for Dawson, Lennon, Huddlestone, all just short of 10yrs of service, add Kaboul (if things weren't too fucked with him at the end), Carroll, Townsend for being one of our own. What about van der Vaart too??? Have one of the teams managed by Mason so we can all be given the opportunity to applaud him, show him our love in person, sign his name and cement him to the club whilst he establishes himself as a coach.

None of these players are legends but they are important players and should be recognised as such.

It’s a nice idea, but never going to happen when they’re under contract at other clubs. Imagine if any of them got injured.

The top 10 I remember playing for Spurs are probably the following:

Sheringham
Klinsmann
Ginola
Mabbutt
King
Modric
Bale
Eriksen
Dele
Kane

Unfortunately I just can't remember watching the likes of Hoddle, Waddle, Gazza & Lineker.

I've chucked Dele in there because he's a player I absolutely love watching. Never seen anyone quite like him so he makes my top 10 no doubt about that. Very hard to leave Berbatov out as for me he's what I regard as a proper Spurs player, but so is Dele.

Back
Top Bottom