Top 10 Club Legends

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Players I have personally seen

1. Hoddle
2. Gazza
3. Bale
4. Archibald
5. Waddle
6. Jennings
7. Mabbet
8. King
9. Ardiles
10. Lineker

Number 10 is probably controversial but he always popped up with the goals was leading scorer of hiss generation and won the fa Cup with us. If waddle had stayed it would of been a magnificent side and is one of the clubs greatest what if moments.

I know Blanchflower, chivers, gilzean and greaves should be on this list but I didn't see them play.

Of the current side kane will surely make this list probably at Linekers expense and dele if he stays.
Archibald,good call. He should have at least got a special mention from me

Well a legend status is almost given in hindsight, especially on a second hand account so:
Greaves
Alf Ramsey
Blanchflower
Cliff Jones
Mackay
Jennings
Hoddle
Perryman
Mabbutt
King

What about A. J. Ayer, renowned philosopher of logic? A. J. Ayer - Wikipedia

Apparently had a season ticket at one point as well, so was committed.

And for an additional bonus, it seems he occasionally wrote about football as well (you need to subscribe to this journal to get full access, unfortunately): LRB · A.J. Ayer · World Cup

Edit: I like in the comments section of the last link posted he comes back to one reader who dismisses Hoddle for, as we might say, having no bottle - 'I do not admit Hoddle lacks courage'.
Allas I haven't a clue who he was.
:memeokay:

Well a legend status is almost given in hindsight, especially on a second hand account so:
Greaves
Alf Ramsey
Blanchflower
Cliff Jones
Mackay
Jennings
Hoddle
Perryman
Mabbutt
King
I dont know if this has been or will be rectified or not but those two weren't in our Hall of Fame when I did the Stadium Tour in November 2016.

To add insult to injury a talentless hoofer like Steffan Freund is there, rubbing shoulders with the others in your list for no apparent reason.

A couple of us on the tour pointed this out, the guide sighed and gave us a "what can you do" gesture. He said that was a regular moan.

I dont know if this has been or will be rectified or not but those two weren't in our Hall of Fame when I did the Stadium Tour in November 2016.

To add insult to injury a talentless hoofer like Steffan Freund is there, rubbing shoulders with the others in your list for no apparent reason.

A couple of us on the tour pointed this out, the guide sighed and gave us a "what can you do" gesture. He said that was a regular moan.
Not much PR in adding dead people. The HoF is a PR thing, like how the rock n roll hall of fame is mainly the pop hall of fame.

I find building an all-time eleven a bit more fair, I think a top 10 is tricky because some of our best, and most important teams are in many ways mostly forgotten.

Although even building an eleven would be a problem, as we have a fair number of pretty stunning forwards to pick from, and roughly 10 legendary midfielders as is.

As players, in no order:
Greaves
Blanchflower
Hoddle
King
Kane
Ardiles
Nicholson
Perryman
Mackay
Cliff Jones

And that leaves a fair few deserving names unmentioned.

I find building an all-time eleven a bit more fair, I think a top 10 is tricky because some of our best, and most important teams are in many ways mostly forgotten.

Although even building an eleven would be a problem, as we have a fair number of pretty stunning forwards to pick from, and roughly 10 legendary midfielders as is.

As players, in no order:
Greaves
Blanchflower
Hoddle
King
Kane
Ardiles
Nicholson
Perryman
Mackay
Cliff Jones

And that leaves a fair few deserving names unmentioned.

This is as close to the top 10 in my opinion that I've seen. All proper Spurs names, all put in a good shift for the club and all helped us become who we are and what we've been. Absolutely nailed it mate

When I got married in 2012 I was "allowed" to chose the table names...

8 tables plus top (I know you don't normally name top but I had to given the opportunity). Rule was no current players (so no Ledley for example). This was my selection:

Top table: Nicholson
Blanchflower
Greaves
Mackay
Perryman
Hoddle
Lineker
Mabbutt
Sheringham
Apart from Sheringham and Linekar, and no Ginola - good choices ;)

But seriously, Kane is already top 10, right? I'd love to hear a bit from the people who have been around Spurs for a lot longer than I have about where he sits now and where he could be.

Anyone else of the current squad that will go down as legends, or do they need to win something? If Hugo held up a trophy or two as skipper I would have no issue classing him as a club legend, but I also recognise that longevity counts.

Last edited:
I rated/rate Roberts.He was a club legend IMHO
Not quite as much so as some you mentioned, but still a legend. I stuck to players I saw play as well, so Norman and Mackay wouldn't have been on my list :)
I agree... but in a list of 10 legends, there are certainly 4 or 5 better in his position.

Likewise the GK position... Hugo is undoubtedly up there... but try getting him in ahead of Jennings, Bill Brown or Ted Ditchburn and there might be a debate to he had!

But seriously, Kane is already top 10, right? I'd love to hear a bit from the people who have been around Spurs for a lot longer than I have about where he sits now and where he could be.

Anyone else of the current squad that will go down as legends, or do they need to win something? If Hugo held up a trophy or two as skipper I would have no issue classing him as a club legend, but I also recognise that longevity counts.
If he stays, no question that he would be classed as a legend. Don't think winning a trophy would make the difference.

Back
Top Bottom