Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Modren game of high press, high line, leads to more one-on-one situations. Full backs can help, but limited. Trip and Davies average pace too. As I said Toby, Vert are still good and can handle most teams. Against City, Liverpool we will struggle. If we are aiming for title we will have to match them.

a) Where does both teams pace lie?

b) Where areas do both teams typically breach an oppo back line from?

c) When's the last time our CBs were done for pace against either side?

d) Of the best 20 or so CBs in the world, how many of them have an overt amount of pace?

Although this has spiralled, my original point was that Jan & Toby are able to compensate (like any top CB should be able to) for any alleged lack of pace... Intelligence and reading of the game should suffice.

Remember when we got Dembele 15m release clause. Just suddenly happened on last day. I think Toby’s comes into force 4 weeks before end of window and lasts for two weeks, giving us 2 weeks for a replacement. I can’t think that someone will not buy him. For 25m he is a bargain no risk signing.

Toby will leave, I'd be shocked if this doesn't happen sadly but with Joachim Andersen apparently off to Lyon there genuinely isn't a CB I've seen that I want or fall for based on a few of his clips.

I can see us changing our style this summer rather drastically. I can see Dier being used as a CB far more than he likes and is used to and I think that's the only way he'll have a long term future at the club and at international level. It'll save us a few quid and gives us breathing space to invest in other areas. Dier is a great CB so I'd be happy with this. Time will tell I guess.

I think you're describing Juan Foyth here?

Dier can also cover at CB (his best position in my view) and Davies had a good game when tried at CB.

Our immediate need is two more confirmed in midfield (3 if Eriksen leaves) and a Kane stand-in.

The only natural LCB we have is Vertonghen. That doesn’t mean we can’t team up Sanchez and Foyth or Sanchez and Dier but I don’t think any of those guys are naturals on that side. I’m also not at all sold on Foyth at CB but that’s a whole other thing. Davies of course is a natural left sider and has looked fine in very limited LCB action but it’s a small sample size plus we need him at LB.

I would put another CM and striker fairly low on our needs. RB should be our immediate concern.

I would put another CM and striker fairly low on our needs

We lost Dembele last Christmas. NDombele restores the numbers. If Eriksen leaves we are one down. We need at least one other midfielder on top. We can't have another season where Rose is being pressed into a midfield role

Llorente has gone. We need to replace him.

Leave the full-backs alone (at least for this transfer window) unless Trippier decides to go elsewhere.

I make that two more midfield (three if Eriksen leaves) and a Kane stand-in. Sessegnon may be able to perform a midfield/WB hybrid.

That's about 5 replacements which is about what a squad can stand in one window.

We lost Dembele last Christmas. NDombele restores the numbers. If Eriksen leaves we are one down. We need at least one other midfielder on top. We can't have another season where Rose is being pressed into a midfield role

Llorente has gone. We need to replace him.

Leave the full-backs alone (at least for this transfer window) unless Trippier decides to go elsewhere.

I make that two more midfield (three if Eriksen leaves) and a Kane stand-in. Sessegnon may be able to perform a midfield/WB hybrid.

That's about 5 replacements which is about what a squad can stand in one window.
How do we replace Janssen though?

How do we replace Janssen though?

I don't even count Janssen! In my view we should pay up his contract or offer him to a CL club. Just get him off the books and chalk it down to Soldado-like experience.

I thought Perez or that Wham nutter Arnautovic, but those boats have sailed. Mitrovic maybe?

Toby will leave, I'd be shocked if this doesn't happen sadly but with Joachim Andersen apparently off to Lyon there genuinely isn't a CB I've seen that I want or fall for based on a few of his clips.
Give me Duje Caleta-Car. Right footed CB that can play both as a right and left sided CB. Great long ball distribution. Gots the makings of a rolls royce defender.

a) Where does both teams pace lie?

b) Where areas do both teams typically breach an oppo back line from?

c) When's the last time our CBs were done for pace against either side?

d) Of the best 20 or so CBs in the world, how many of them have an overt amount of pace?

Although this has spiralled, my original point was that Jan & Toby are able to compensate (like any top CB should be able to) for any alleged lack of pace... Intelligence and reading of the game should suffice.
Most neutrals will bet Liverpool winning that final. The difference is they have a defence that are more suitable at playing high line. Let's just say if we have their dutch defender, as a neutral i will bet Spurs win every time
Even with Ndombele and Lo Celso, I would think they are still better due to their defence

Most neutrals will bet Liverpool winning that final. The difference is they have a defence that are more suitable at playing high line. Let's just say if we have their dutch defender, as a neutral i will bet Spurs win every time
Even with Ndombele and Lo Celso, I would think they are still better due to their defence

I dare you to answer my questions. ;o)

I don’t just think taking VVD and giving them Verts would have necessarily changed the game. He defiantly helps with his pace but we also have Sanchez who is amazingly quick although obviously not VVD overall level.

Liverpool defend from the front, with 3 fast attackers and a well dispinclined hard working midfield, just breaking that can be tough. VVd is far more than just pace, he is a good reader of the game and combined with their goalkeeper has brought calm to the back line. He is quick but it’s his composure that stands out, speed is more the icing on the cake.

In the final we where unlucky with the pen and probably got our tactics wrong with Kane. Pure opinion but having watched Ndombele quite a lot last season and a bit of Lo Celso they look like line breakers unlike Eriksen or say Dele meaning that potentially they can create 3-2 or 4-2 situations by beating 1-2 players and then we as a team overloading. Doesn’t matter how good or quick you are you cannot mark 2-3 players and that’s what having players that break the line can do to a defence.

Isolating Liverpool’s defence from its midfield and attack is the best way of beating them and you need players that win duels, Son and Moura can do that, Ndombele definitely does that and Lo Celso also seems to do that. So IMO they would help us in regards to Liverpool.

Last edited:
Although I'm of the opinion that if an individual doesn't want to play for us, then we should get rid, I thought Toby played well last year, the complete professional, and if he wants to stay, give him a decent contract.

Agreed if he's gonna extend then offer him a new deal, actually commit and leave around 32/33.... A 1 yr extention just means we face the same uncertainty next summer.

I’ll happily take another year of Toby and Jan in the back. Tried, tested and true (kind of on Toby’s part).

I think our future CBs are already here they just need a bit more time to graduate...

(Even everyone's wet dream De Ligt has made big game errors this year.... He fucked up against England in the Nations league semi and let's face it if you get bossed by Papa Llorente you're far from the finished article.)

Last edited:
One year extension for Toby is a no brainer.

For who?

Toby has refused to sign a new contract for the last 2 seasons while others have seen their wages increase dramatically.

He has specifically done this to run his existing one down and then make more money on his next contract at a new club.
As per Ramsey.

So why would he sign a 1yr extension??

For who?

Toby has refused to sign a new contract for the last 2 seasons while others have seen their wages increase dramatically.

He has specifically done this to run his existing one down and then make more money on his next contract at a new club.
As per Ramsey.

So why would he sign a 1yr extension??
Because he's come to his senses? ;)

Back
Top Bottom