Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The final 2 weeks of July are the only time the clause comes in to effect. So in essence a club can't bid until those final two weeks anyway.

Every club knows about the clause so they wont be bothering with anything until it comes in to effect. Which ever Manchester club fails to get Maguire will most likely bid for him as a back up in my opinion.

I hope I am wrong, I hope he stays but the writing has been on the wall now for a while.
I thought it was in effect from the start of the transfer window until 2 weeks before it closed.

The final 2 weeks of July are the only time the clause comes in to effect. So in essence a club can't bid until those final two weeks anyway.

Every club knows about the clause so they wont be bothering with anything until it comes in to effect. Which ever Manchester club fails to get Maguire will most likely bid for him as a back up in my opinion.

I hope I am wrong, I hope he stays but the writing has been on the wall now for a while.
If he goes, no sweat. He's not been close to the same player he was pre-injury and if he rolled up at NWHL to play against us, I'm confident Poch would have the tactical nous to have him on toast.

He was an incredible defender, he's on the wain. That's why he's still with us. There are plenty more attractive options out there.

I think any football chairman would rather negotiate with Toby’s dad next year than pay out £25m to Spurs this summer.

£200k a week at 52 weeks is £10m.

So you could possibly get Toby on a 3 year contract for £30m next summer.

If you buy him for £25m now what’s he going to ask for in wages? A lot more than £5m that’s for sure.

I think any football chairman would rather negotiate with Toby’s dad next year than pay out £25m to Spurs this summer.

£200k a week at 52 weeks is £10m.

So you could possibly get Toby on a 3 year contract for £30m next summer.

If you buy him for £25m now what’s he going to ask for in wages? A lot more than £5m that’s for sure.
I hope you are right, Toby fit and firing, even for one more year would make me feel a whole of a lot better.

Van dyk is better as an individual but If Verts and Toby stay fit, they are still the best CB pairing in the prem in my opinion.

I hope you are right, Toby fit and firing, even for one more year would make me feel a whole of a lot better.

Van dyk is better as an individual but If Verts and Toby stay fit, they are still the best CB pairing in the prem in my opinion.

I think unless a team has serious issues in defence it’s a win for all.

I know we would prefer 25m but in fairness we have probably made a fair % of that back in wages we haven’t needed to pay to Toby over the past few years.

Would love him to stay though as a mentor. Gives Foyth that extra year he needs.

Although tbh think Sanchez looks better playing more often.

Vert and Toby will struggle against top pacy attacks, especially when we press high. Morata skinned Toby

Vert and Toby will struggle against top pacy attacks, especially when we press high. Morata skinned Toby
I think all defences struggle against pacy attacks. . . As far as Centre Backs go, Toby is no slouch and Verts isn't slow at all.

If we really really need some pace back there, we do have Sanchez I suppose.

I think all defences struggle against pacy attacks. . . As far as Centre Backs go, Toby is no slouch and Verts isn't slow at all.

If we really really need some pace back there, we do have Sanchez I suppose.
Sanchez dun seem very reliable when pressed. Vert and Toby are still very good but will struggle against top teams with pace. You might say most teams will against top teams. But if we are talking about titles, we have to deal with the very best

Sanchez dun seem very reliable when pressed. Vert and Toby are still very good but will struggle against top teams with pace. You might say most teams will against top teams. But if we are talking about titles, we have to deal with the very best
None of the top teams look confident against pace: not us, Shitty, Liverpool...you need proper Italian dark-arts to defend against athleticism.

A top defender(s) ought to be able to adapt if they find themselves up against a pacey attack.... Else they are merely very good defenders.

Toby & Jan ARE top defenders.

Besides, most pace is deployed from out wide rather than through the middle as there's typically more space to exploit 1-v-1 vs a full back... This is what our once elite back 4 is now missing; FBs that can recover and fend off players like Mane, Sane etc.

A top defender(s) ought to be able to adapt if they find themselves up against a pacey attack.... Else they are merely very good defenders.

Toby & Jan ARE top defenders.

Besides, most pace is deployed from out wide rather than through the middle as there's typically more space to exploit 1-v-1 vs a full back... This is what our once elite back 4 is now missing; FBs that can recover and fend off players like Mane, Sane etc.
Modren game of high press, high line, leads to more one-on-one situations. Full backs can help, but limited. Trip and Davies average pace too. As I said Toby, Vert are still good and can handle most teams. Against City, Liverpool we will struggle. If we are aiming for title we will have to match them.

None of the top teams look confident against pace: not us, Shitty, Liverpool...you need proper Italian dark-arts to defend against athleticism.
VAR will remove most dark arts

No team likes to defend against pace. Hence top teams always have a pacy and towering centre back to play high line. When I say top teams, I am refering to City and Liverpool. The rest I dun even bother

The idea that Toby going is no biggie is misguided IMO. When he goes, it will be a big loss. Remember that he is 2 years younger than Vert. The only saving grace with a Toby departure is we have Sanchez who I feel pretty good about.

Vert is getting up there in years. If we were smart, we’d be looking for the 20 million pound player we could bring in as his apprentice now that can back Vert up and grow into the position for when Vert leaves/ages out rather than have to shell out 80 million pounds in 2 years for a top class LCB who can contribute right away. ie handle it the exact opposite of Dembele/Ndombele.

The idea that Toby going is no biggie is misguided IMO. When he goes, it will be a big loss. Remember that he is 2 years younger than Vert. The only saving grace with a Toby departure is we have Sanchez who I feel pretty good about.

Vert is getting up there in years. If we were smart, we’d be looking for the 20 million pound player we could bring in as his apprentice now that can back Vert up and grow into the position for when Vert leaves/ages out rather than have to shell out 80 million pounds in 2 years for a top class LCB who can contribute right away. ie handle it the exact opposite of Dembele/Ndombele.
Agree. Saliba looks good. Hope we get him

we’d be looking for the 20 million pound player we could bring in as his apprentice now that can back Vert up and grow into the position

I think you're describing Juan Foyth here?

Dier can also cover at CB (his best position in my view) and Davies had a good game when tried at CB.

Our immediate need is two more confirmed in midfield (3 if Eriksen leaves) and a Kane stand-in.

Your right according to the guardian, my bad.

Although with no spurs to stand in his way, things could happen very quickly if someone does come in.
Remember when we got Dembele 15m release clause. Just suddenly happened on last day. I think Toby’s comes into force 4 weeks before end of window and lasts for two weeks, giving us 2 weeks for a replacement. I can’t think that someone will not buy him. For 25m he is a bargain no risk signing.

Back
Top Bottom