Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t just think taking VVD and giving them Verts would have necessarily changed the game. He defiantly helps with his pace but we also have Sanchez who is amazingly quick although obviously not VVD overall level.

Liverpool defend from the front, with 3 fast attackers and a well dispinclined hard working midfield, just breaking that can be tough. VVd is far more than just pace, he is a good reader of the game and combined with their goalkeeper has brought calm to the back line. He is quick but it’s his composure that stands out, speed is more the icing on the cake.

In the final we where unlucky with the pen and probably got our tactics wrong with Kane. Pure opinion but having watched Ndombele quite a lot last season and a bit of Lo Celso they look like line breakers unlike Eriksen or say Dele meaning that potentially they can create 3-2 or 4-2 situations by beating 1-2 players and then we as a team overloading. Doesn’t matter how good or quick you are you cannot mark 2-3 players and that’s what having players that break the line can do to a defence.

Isolating Liverpool’s defence from its midfield and attack is the best way of beating them and you need players that win duels, Son and Moura can do that, Ndombele definitely does that and Lo Celso also seems to do that. So IMO they would help us in regards to Liverpool.
Thanks for your reply. I respect your opinion. In my opinion, if we play Man City, Ajax and Liverpool again with full squad I would still think City and Liverpool being favorite and level with Ajax. We are not very far with City and Liverpool in terms of attack and midfield. But they are better in defence.
On several occasions last season, Poch moved Sissoko alongside Vert and Toby when we push high, which I thought was very smart.

Sanchez was suppose to be that perfect cb with pace that allows us to push high. But he is not as reliable when in possession.

Agree with your tactic of isolating opponent defence with players winning individual duels. With Son, Moura, maybe Lo Celso, Alli, Kane we can win alot. But so can the Liverpool and City front three against our defence. I believe Liverpool and City have better defences to deal with high press and play high line.

I know there is only one VDV and any equivalent will cost a fortune. But we also know thats the solution. If we can't affort, we should reply on our scouts to get young players with the potential to reach that level

According to Italian sports newspapers, Tottenham offered Alderweireld more money (€ 20 million) than AS Roma to buy Zaniolo

corr7.jpg

Poor Toby, he thought clubs would be falling over themselves to sign him and so far.....nada.

He either commits to a long term deal at us or faces a bit of an uncertain future. No way will he be our starting CH if he is leaving at the end of the year.

Oh well.

Roma’s highest earner is currently on about £90K pw, that’ll be one hell of a signing on fee, bonuses (of which we are very generous) and image rights contracts required to supplement that shortfall (reports he’s expecting £150K)

Don’t see that happening but who knows pride goeth before a fall

Much better to stay for the year and lose him for nothing than lose him the last two weeks of the transfer window this summer for £25m.

Maybe a lack of interest this summer will make him realize that Spurs are the best fit for him. He's been more professional about it this summer than Eriksen at least.

Much better to stay for the year and lose him for nothing than lose him the last two weeks of the transfer window this summer for £25m.

Maybe a lack of interest this summer will make him realize that Spurs are the best fit for him. He's been more professional about it this summer than Eriksen at least.

It's a tough call but let's be honest if there's no defender in the market that we fancy another year or Toby so we take a £25m hit isn't that bad. If we go into the season with Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth and Dier it looks far weaker than having a Toby like figure thrown in there.

For me the issue is losing both Toby and Christian this summer or Toby, Jan and Christian next summer as all will be on free transfers. A solid £100m worth of players at this moment who will get us nothing next season if thing stay the way they are. That's a big chunk for any club

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't really understand the situation he is in, do you think he would go somewhere like Roma?
If so, why wouldn't he just sign a new deal with us (if we are offering)?
We are a better team and I assume we can pay more than them

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't really understand the situation he is in, do you think he would go somewhere like Roma?
If so, why wouldn't he just sign a new deal with us (if we are offering)?
We are a better team and I assume we can pay more than them
Someone fucked up. Whether it was Toby, whether it was his agent, whether it was both, all we know is they fucked up. They gambled on Toby's stock rising more than Spurs stock. This has backfired. Now his options are a big backtrack, a finger crossed "someone love me transfer" or another year where he may find himself frozen out and endangering his Euro 2020 hopes.

Toby needs to remember he's lucky to be at Spurs and we're on the up. He isn't any way indispensable.

I think there are some opinions that are off here.

First, the idea that we are better off keeping Toby for another year and losing him for nothing than losing him for 25 million pounds now. This is probably wrong. Toby is a very good CB, and I hate to lose him, but I'm not sure he's worth a 25 million pounds (plus wages) one year loan. Especially given we have Sanchez, who is certainly not at Toby's level yet but at least can step in and do a job.

In fact, if it were really the case that Toby is worth paying an extra 25 million pounds for a one year loan, we would have just met his contract demands. We'd get him for several years for probably the same total price.

Toby staying for another year and then leaving for nothing is the worst case scenario.

Second, if he does stay for next year without a new contract, I don't see how that means he's not our starting CB. He's been nothing but professional. And he has all the incentive in the world to play at a high level since he's trying to impress teams so he'll get as big a contract as possible at the end of the season.

Third, just because Toby isn't already off doesn't mean he's made a mistake. It's quite possible that teams have come in for him and he has just refused because he thinks he'll get higher wages if he runs his contract out completely, saving whatever team he goes to 25 million pounds. Now if he has a bad season or gets a career ending injury or something, then yes, this will have turned out badly for him. That's why running your contract down is a gamble. But we are yet to see whether this gamble pays off for him or not. He's still a high quality CB who is not THAT old. I have to think somebody will pay him very good wages at the end of the season barring a bad season/bad injury.

Unfortunately for Spurs, this is playing out very poorly for us. I guess there's still faint hope we sign him to a contract extension, but it seems pretty unlikely.

So if this season is Toby's swan song;
To the tune of 'I know him so well'

Isn't he good (oh so good)
Isn't he fine (oh so fine)
Isn't it madness - Toby won't sign..
But in the end, he needs a little bit more Levy (more security)
He needs his fantasies and freedom
Thanks Al-der-wei-reld!

:tobyarm:
:pochfacepalm:

So 15 days until that clause expires. Maybe he isn't going to move after all....

Unless he screws us and signs for Gooner Scum which I don't think is that far fetched tbh.

Back
Top Bottom