THFC vs Wigwam Athletic (AWAY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What did you think of his general play and contribution against City, beyond the goal?
From a personal perspective, I thought he was pretty poor and should have been hooked, and then he pops up and scores. I have long said I would have Defoe in the side as long as he scores, so I guess I'll have to extend the same criteria to Clint. However the chances of him ever replicating the goal JD scored are remote, so we will have to thank him for grinding out the goals that he does.
I just wish he didn't look as awkward or ham fisted, whenever the ball was in his possession.

We really need more things to talk about... Every single thread is about how bad Defoe/Ade/Dempsey are/is playing or how we should replace them...

What did you think of his general play and contribution against City, beyond the goal?
From a personal perspective, I thought he was pretty poor and should have been hooked, and then he pops up and scores. I have long said I would have Defoe in the side as long as he scores, so I guess I'll have to extend the same criteria to Clint. However the chances of him ever replicating the goal JD scored are remote, so we will have to thank him for grinding out the goals that he does.
I just wish he didn't look as awkward or ham fisted, whenever the ball was in his possession.

I personally thought he was fantastic.The problem with most of the spurs fans is that you need that flashy player which gets your attention.Unfortunately Dempsey is not that kinda player.I watched him closely in the Basel away game and Man City game and he really impressed me.His workrate is outstanding,very comfortable in possession and excellent sense of attacking positions.

I love the fact we can debate over who to play across the middle. Just shows we have a decent bit of squad depth in midfield!

I personally thought he was fantastic.The problem with most of the spurs fans is that you need that flashy player which gets your attention.Unfortunately Dempsey is not that kinda player.I watched him closely in the Basel away game and Man City game and he really impressed me.His workrate is outstanding,very comfortable in possession and excellent sense of attacking positions.

Cant say I would ever accuse him of that.

I think his work rate is excellent and his positioning VERY good - but comfortable in possession? Sorry, not for me.

He always looks like he is rushing (through treacle) and set to fall over (which he often does). Just as he always seems to panic when closed down.

I think in some ways he is a lot like Robbie Keane actually, at his absolute best when running on pure instinct but the longer he has possession and time to think the worse he does!

Some of his flicks and passes that are impulsive have been sensational, shame they are so rare.

Fantastic is a big word, and to me brings up names like Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Cruff, Pele, maradona - even Gascoigne, Hoddle and Greaves. I'm not so sure that Dempsey would make that list

Who would he dropped for?

For me Defoe, bale and him start up front.

Agreed, but quite a few people it seems on here and elsewhere are so swept away with the double H idea, they're prepared to sacrifice him. I don't say they're definitely wrong, I just agree with you why would you do it? Key thing is I think AVB wil play him and I think he'll be right to do so.

Fair comments, MC. In general it wasn't great, but he's a player who comes up with killer moments. Not just the crucial goal, but a beautiful pass in the first half, that set up our best chance of that half.

He is as he is, he won't be changing now. Except eventually he'll get worse, but ATM he's at the peak of his game is my guess, and we'll play him at Wigan.

I can't see AVB starting with the double H's, and again I think that's correct.

Fair comments, MC. In general it wasn't great, but he's a player who comes up with killer moments. Not just the crucial goal, but a beautiful pass in the first half, that set up our best chance of that half.

He is as he is, he won't be changing now. Except eventually he'll get worse, but ATM he's at the peak of his game is my guess, and we'll play him at Wigan.

I can't see AVB starting with the double H's, and again I think that's correct.
For a strong running and competitively aggressive, natural left sider, I'd say that Holtby was worth a start, he seems to have a good engine and he's mobile. I think his performance against City was proof that he can carry himself against a strong midfield, so I think he won't let us down against Wigans.

For a strong running and competitively aggressive, natural left sider, I'd say that Holtby was worth a start, he seems to have a good engine and he's mobile. I think his performance against City was proof that he can carry himself against a strong midfield, so I think he won't let us down against Wigans.

Fair comments again. I don't think either of the H's will start if Lennon starts, but it may be that one of them will. What I can't see is both starting. I would probably go for Siggy if Lennon's not ready, but it's all pros and cons. What I'm sure of is that Dempsey should and will start. Have been known to be wrong many times though :)

I think Wigans need for points will be the influential factor on the construction of the midfield, and we have the strength to put out any of the named suspects and expect a good return out of them. I suspect that we are going to be dominant and the people that can unlock the door are going to be the ones we need to go for. In my mind that puts Parker on the bench, but I doubt he will - and gives rise to a mobile and creative midfield. If they were fit then I would say Holtby, Dembele, Thudd and Lennon would be the best option, with Bale supporting Defoe at the front.
If you want industry then Sigurdsson for Holtby and Parker for Thudd. And then Dempsey for Defoe.

What are you talking about? He had a shot on goal and played in Walker in the first half with a very nice ball, that Kyle should have done better with.

Back
Top Bottom