THFC vs Wigwam Athletic (AWAY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Love Andre trolling about them getting knocked out the CL

3u3m0r.jpg

You also have to love his subtle hinting that ManU should go for as many points as they can get, without really saying that's what SAF should do - "may want to rotate the squad, other managers would like to continue getting the most amount of points possible - it's a personal choice"

Not one for defending Lawro, as pundits go he is down there with Andy Townsend in my book, but looking back at his predictions, when he picks us to win, we don't often lose...

13 times predicted us to win this season, the actual results are W8 D3 L2 (Wigan & Fulham at home)
11 times predicted us to draw this season, the actual results are W7 D3 L1 (opening day at Newcastle)

24 times Lawro has in effect predicted us not to lose, and 21 times we have not lost...

Which actually proves he is better than I thought, he generally picks the games we will lose pretty accurately.

He's not the greatest tackler, and I'm afraid he'd be overzealous about closing people down and get pulled out of position too easily.

As long as he can modify his approach then sure, but IMO more likely to succeed as part of a three rather than two man midfield.

He plays a good pass though.

And on the whole Lawro thing, from his predictions this season we'd be 8th. Behind QPR (!) and Liverpool :vert: :holtbytongue: :defoe2: :bale2: :dawson: :harrylol:

I recall. But he was on the right not left

Although my first point was ridiculous and rightly ridiculed.

I don't agree that Bale would be any less effective on the left. Wherever AVB starts him, he will be given the freedom to roam where he wants. Bale is as capable of beating a man on the left and arrowing a shot across goal as he is of cutting in from the right and smashing home. His hat-trick against Inter may have been three years ago but surely that only supports the fact that he can do it from the left, seeing as he is at least twice the player he was then.

Bale is similar to Ronaldo in the way he plays, in that he drifts from left to right, including dropping in centrally to pick the ball up, he plays in the space and creates from there.

I think Holtby is very disciplined (he is German) think the way in which Huddlestone has flourished in the last few games is in huge part down to Holtby doing the 'donkey' work around him and drawing players away from the Hudd when he's on the ball. Seems to know the Hudds strength and they create a great balance. Wether that partnership could be influential for 90 mins is yet to be seen, probably not the right time to start tinkering too heavy at this stage of the season:avbnaa:

THud is fine when he has a couple of players around him to do his running for him.. he is the archetypal quaterback, sits and pings passes around, occasionally runs with the ball and can't really tackle, so leaves that to others...

Although my first point was ridiculous and rightly ridiculed.

I don't agree that Bale would be any less effective on the left. Wherever AVB starts him, he will be given the freedom to roam where he wants. Bale is as capable of beating a man on the left and arrowing a shot across goal as he is of cutting in from the right and smashing home. His hat-trick against Inter may have been three years ago but surely that only supports the fact that he can do it from the left, seeing as he is at least twice the player he was then.

Bale is similar to Ronaldo in the way he plays, in that he drifts from left to right, including dropping in centrally to pick the ball up, he plays in the space and creates from there.

If you have expectations of Ronaldo type role, then he can't be on the left.

Ronaldo plays LW loves to cut in and make it rain with that right foot. Same would apply with Bale with the left foot

Back
Top Bottom