THFC vs Wigwam Athletic (AWAY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good news for us is that Alcaraz is out, who seems to be their best defender, and who makes a big positive impact apparently on their results when he plays.

We need to score, obviously, so to me that means playing both JD and Clint. Though I understand there are good reasons why others might disagree.

Lloris, Walker, Daws, JV, BAE; Lennon Parker Dembele Bale Dempsey Defoe

Holtby, Siggy or Hudd in for Lennon if he's not ready to start - I think it's a close call between those three.

:llorishuh:
:walkerwtf: :dawsonwtf: :vert: :bae:​
:parker: :holtbytongue:​
:balesnarl: :dembele: :gylfi:​
:defoe2:​
Lennon in for Gylfi if fit for duty.​
Or we could go retro
-------------------:lloris:---------------------
---------------:dawsonwtf::vert:-----------------
------------:dembele::parkerhmm::hudd:----------
:lennon: :gylfi::defoe2: :dempsey::bale2:

2-3-5 an what?

The key will be energy in the midfield. They will want it bad when down in the drop zone. Not sure if it would be Holtby or Hudd if so. I would drop Parker but I can see him being heavily relied on for this game.

I don't think the key will be energy in the midfield, though it's important of course. I think the key will be quality finishing and defending. Wigan might boss the mid for a while by running around a lot, but if we score first they'll stop running so hard as their ugly fate looms before them.

We had stacks of energy in the first half v City, but much of it was wasted energy. City easily coped with our energy, what they couldn't deal with was the class of Bale and Defoe, plus the goal scoring instincts of Dempsey.

I think Parker and Dembele have enough energy to cope with Wigan early on. We'll press up high and condense the mid anyway.

If Holtby starts that's fine by me, but I expect it to be Parker and Dembele, then 1 from 4, with Lennon getting the nod if he's fit enough.

I wouldn't change the starting line up save for Defoe for Adebayor. Initially I had thought Defoe might be good off the bench again but given the week between matches, his fitness should fine....that and Adebayor just seems to get worse and worse.

I'd be surprised if Lennon starts - he could well have the same impact Huddlestone and Defoe did against City.

Were Wigan less combative in midfield I would consider Holtby for Parker but I reckon, again, as with City, Holtby's drive in the final 25 minutes will be important and he does like a booking.

Lloris

Walker
Dawson
Vertonghen
BAE

Parker
Dembele

Sigurdsson
Bale
Dempsey

Defoe

Holtby, Lennon and Huddlestone would be, if it's a tight match, the logical changes.

Anyone got a pub in North or Central London showing this? It's pretty much the only decent game on Saturday (OMGZ WE ARE ACTUALLY PLAYING AT 3PM ON A SATURDAY!!!!!!111one) - After a pub with a few hooky channels.. Bill Nic is an obvious option but think there are a few elsewhere.

This game will be tough and frustrating I think. Hard fought 1-0 win though.
Irrespective of their Cup final, they have to be motivated to get the points they need for survival, and they have proved that they can play well and embarass teams of a much better pedigree - their performance recently against Man City shows how well they can play.

I think your assessment is going to be proved to be accurate, particularly as we will be left once again looking like the home team, and them looking to cash in on breakaways.

Despite peoples reservations and the latest groundswell for Thudd (who I have long been an admirer of) I think Parkers experience and defensive mobility will justify him starting.

I would like to see Holtby and Defoe start as well, in place of the misfiring Adebayor and Sigurdsson, who can't seem to make up his mind about fulfilling the promise that he has shown recently.

Back
Top Bottom