The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m not blaming Harry but maybe the system we’ve adopted since he came back
Sonny hasn’t been the same player
In my mind, I always legislate for Son to fall out of his purple patch. I doubt he'll ever have a season of being consistently brilliant (but my word, he's good when he's good).

Given that we were missing Winks today, I'm genuinely surprised that we played as well today as we did (certainly in the second half). I'm praying that he's back on Wednesday.

We'll get top 4..

Whether we finish 3rd or 4th - I have no idea.

But we'll do it. That immense home crowd in our brand new stadium will see us through.

If they finish 3rd and we finish 4th I don’t give a shit that we end below them.
Logically, I'm with you - but emotionally, it'd still sting like fuck.

The reality is, however, that limping over the line to get top 4 is all the matters after all the shite this season regarding a lack of transfers, player injuries, players degrading (like Wanyama), players looking increasingly likely to fuck off (Eriksen), and taking longer than anyone would have predicted to get into the stadium.

> Top 4
> Get familiar with the new stadium

Those are the two things that are important now. If Woolwich finish above us then they'll undoubtedly crow, but they should try navigating a season under similar circumstances.

I’d I had to put real money on it:

City
Liverpool
Woolwich
Spurs
United
Chelsea

Gonna come down to the last day between us and Woolwich for who gets 3rd in my view. I think Chelsea get a couple of poor results and put everything into the Europa basket. United have a rough 5 matches coming up with Barca sandwiched in there, then play 2 teams that will be relegated, so we better have a firm grip on 4th prior to that.

How the fuck does the club do it to us time and time again? The reason why is because we don't learn from our mistakes. I love the club but how we've let that happen with how the last 10 minutes was today has left me fuming.

Simply put, not enough players are stepping up at the moment. They have 7 games to change that or half of the, can fuck off. So disappointed with how few of them are developing at this late stage of the season. Our goal came from Kane passing a quick killer ball instead of just a piss about pass back to the defenders, I don't see enough men in our ranks at the moment and that's really alarming.

Really and truly we should have lost our last 5 games with Woolwich missing that penalty, a few of them need to realise they are playing for their futures but I think they feel a little too comfortable to do so. I, really disappointed with them at the moment, all of them are capable of better which is a huge shame and let down. Lloris and Sissoko didn't earn their corn at times the club depended on them today, they can't keep getting away with sloppy moments where they prang it like some of calamity stuff I've seen this season. Very sad to see

From Levy down to the players, when you look at the squad and the play on the pitch, this organisation has gotten complacent and stale. It’s sad to see, and tough to stomach that we risk regressing to our past on the top 4 periphery instead of building on the exhilarating successes of recent seasons.

I hope the players stand up for themselves during this final stretch. We may have a bunch of home games against certain opposition, but we really need to feel the urgency and take care of business.

Whether we get a top 4 place or not is obviously important and bound to have a large impact on how much we spend this summer. Don't hold your breath that we do spend of course.

But whatever metric you use, we have been worse this season and with no sign of any improvement anywhere.

That Son, Sissoko and Winks have individually been good, with only Sissoko having been consistently above par is set against a backdrop that literally everyone else has been less good.

A really poor season all round, including that of the manager and Levy, who both palpably failed to show any foresight whatsoever.

Last edited:
Whether we get a top 4 place or not is obviously important and bound to have a large impact on how much we spend this summer. Don't hold uour breath that we do spend of course.

But whatever metric you use, we have been worse this season and with no sign of any improvement anywhere.

That Son, Sissoko and Winks have individually been good, with only Sissoko having been consistently above par is set against a backdrop that literally everyone else has been less good.

A really poor season all round, including that of the manager and Levy, who both palpably failed to show any foresight whatsoever.

It's a valid point you make but the flip side is we really don't know the goings on inside the club regarding who it targeted, what the budgets were, we don't have the foresight of understanding of other clubs have to budget more from now on etc, all the other stuff.

The hardest thing for the club now is that to improve we used to have to spend £15m on a player. These days it's looking closer to £40m-£50m and even then with the players I've seen us linked with I don't see a jewel.

The club have been tight with their finances agreed, but with the rumoured rent for Wembley, how much extra it cost to get the stadium completed after delays and all that went along with that etc its tricky to analyse and judge. We still don't know how hard it was to shift players last summer, the HG issue we had etc.

All I know is we just need to get through this funky spell, show we've grown by at least getting top four and just go from there. A frustrating scenario when we were sitting relatively well barely a month ago

I keep saying it.

Pochettino has not instilled a winning mentality and we do not have players who show leadership.

I do not give a sh!t about Kane's goalscoring exploits or that Lloris was captain of the French world cup winning side.

Neither provides us with the requisite quality of LEADERSHIP when push comes to shove.

Our last 5 games have absolutely shown that in a startling collapse of form.

No one speaks up. No one calms or cajoles. We make error after error and our players seem to have no collective desire to win things or even to shove the pundits' claims of being Spursy down their throats. Those claims none of us can now reject.

Now we find ourselves with next to no margin for further mistakes or it's a finish out of the top 4 where 5 games ago we thought can we possibly get past the top 2.

And be clear Liverpool are better than us as a squad but that much better?

It's still in our hands but where there was expectation there is now only hope.

It's been a season where Pochettino's stock in my eyes has gone down. Yes ww have had issues but on that pitch and having done well to a point we have since been fcuking brittle.

Pochettino needs to learn the significant lessons.

If not he has to move or be moved on. Sentiment does not bring the continuous improvement we need.

Last edited:
From Levy down to the players, when you look at the squad and the play on the pitch, this organisation has gotten complacent and stale. It’s sad to see, and tough to stomach that we risk regressing to our past on the top 4 periphery instead of building on the exhilarating successes of recent seasons.

I hope the players stand up for themselves during this final stretch. We may have a bunch of home games against certain opposition, but we really need to feel the urgency and take care of business.
Brilliant post..that is exactly the point.
We should have showed ambition when we were in the ascendancy and not after we have fallen away when it's pointless. No big club acts the way we have been doing, as it doesn't allow for success to continually build. But levy and some of our supporters think we are different and can change the football model....guess what ...hes wrong and full of shit....

The way it looks, Woolwich are probably looking to finish third, they have an easier schedule on paper and are in better form than us. But I also remember that they dropped lots of points against the likes of Southampton, Palace etc and their away form is kinda shit. They have to play Everton, Watford, Wolves, Leicester and Burnley away. That's four top 10 teams and another one facing relegation. There's a good possibility that they'll lose one or two of these. It's very important that we win the remaining home games and draw against City if we want to finish third.

Chelsea will probably finish 6th, they look pretty fragile. United will come 5th, although I'd rather have them than Woolwich in top 4 obviously.

The way it looks, Woolwich are probably looking to finish third, they have an easier schedule on paper and are in better form than us. But I also remember that they dropped lots of points against the likes of Southampton, Palace etc and their away form is kinda shit. They have to play Everton, Watford, Wolves, Leicester and Burnley away. That's four top 10 teams and another one facing relegation. There's a good possibility that they'll lose one or two of these. It's very important that we win the remaining home games and draw against City if we want to finish third.

Chelsea will probably finish 6th, they look pretty fragile. United will come 5th, although I'd rather have them than Woolwich in top 4 obviously.

Chavs got out of jail yesterday and Warnock quite rightly annoyed

Despite stiff opposition Powson’s performance was the worst display of refereeing this season
Sari clearly out at end of season

ManU also very fortunate and Watford worth at least a point

Gooner Scum will bottle it starting tonight hopefully

We’ll finish 3rd

I keep saying it.

Pochettino has not instilled a winning mentality and we do not have players who show leadership

I do not give a sh!t about Kane's goalscoring exploits or that Lloris was captain of the French world cup winning side.

Neither provides us with the requisite quality of LEADERSHIP when push comes to shove.

Our last 5 games have absolutely shown that in a startling collapse of form.

No one speaks up. No one calms or cajoles. We make error after error and our players seem to have no collective desire to win things or even to shove the pundits' claims of being Spursy down their throats. Those claims none of us can now reject.
We need someone to do a Mason. Grab the team by the scruff of the neck and stand up. As per Mason, it might not be the best player but it has to come

5 Home: Palace, Hudds, Brighton. WSpam, Everton
2 Away: Mancity, Bourmouth

6 Winnables should ensure top 3/4.

ps. we have the second easiest run after the scums.

Think we'll be OK with everyone back now, yesterday's game showed how important Dele is.

I'd pick us to make the top 4 if I had to bet on it. Woolwich, despite their form, have often dropped points against teams they should beat.

Back
Top Bottom