The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Man City beat Brighton, will Watford or Wolves be guaranteed a Europa League place or has that been scrapped now?

How does the Europa League slot work for the FA Cup? Is it the runner up that gets it or does 7th place in the league pinch it?

No, that doesn't happen anymore. Only winners can get a European place or it goes to the league.

No, that doesn't happen anymore. Only winners can get a European place or it goes to the league.

So we've got Wolves, Watford, West Ham. Leicester & Everton who can all qualify for the Europa should Man City win the FA Cup then? Is that correct?

If so there's 11 fixtures Man U, Chelsea & Woolwich face against those teams, with us having to play West Ham & Everton as well. All of a sudden those 13 games where it seems they have very little to play for have a fair old amount of meaning if things keep going how they're going and 7th place gets Europa.

7th place will probably get Europa League next season it seems. NW1Spur NW1Spur you're correct. All of a sudden Wolves, Watford, West Ham, Leicester & Everton have something serious to play for. 13 fixtures against top 4 challengers all of a sudden theirs a different complexionto those games moving forward:

European qualification for UEFA competitions explained

Where these qualifications changes
a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

b) If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League (or top six if (a) happens), their UEL third qualifying round place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

Wolves have to play Man U & Woolwich at home

Watford have to play Man U away & Woolwich + Chelsea at home

West Ham have to play Chelsea, Man U & Tottenham away

Leicester have to play Woolwich & Chelsea at home

Everton have to play Woolwich & Man U at home & Tottenham away.

13 games that had a team with nothing to play for against a top 4 challenger a week or so ago, all of a sudden both teams at present have something to play for with 7th getting Europa. That's definitely something to keep an eye on.

2 teams can still win the league, 4 teams can still qualify for top 4, 5 teams can potentially qualify for the Europa League 7th place slot and 8 teams are in a 3 way fight for relegation with Cardiff being 7 points withna game in hand away from Newcastle. Literally every team apart from Bournemouth are in danger of losing something if they don't show up for matches. 19 out of 20 teams all go into games with something to fight for, 18 of you include the dead rubber of Huddersfield. Incredible with only 7-9 league games left.

Last edited:
What are people’s thoughts if shit does end up horribly wrong for us. Does the blame fall on:

- Poch
- Levy and the Board
- Players
- or a combination of the above

For me the results are 99% due to player performance. Those 12 points were abtainable and for me the performances were lackluster.

Sure the board and Poch deserve blame for their window business, but tactically I don’t think we have been horrible. As fans the players have made calamitous errors that could cost us.
It will be a multitude of many things rather than one person or one thing to blame.

I still think if we win all our home games and get a result against Bournemouth then top 4 is in the bag, but I also think we will get a result at Anfield! :levyeyes:

If Chelsea & Man U lose 1 more game each, mathematically we can lose both games against Liverpool & Man City as long as our GD doesn't take a beating and finish in the top 4.

One more loss each for Chelsea and Man U and unless they hammer their goaldifference in the remaining games we can afford to lose 2 more games and still be ahead of them should we win the rest

Very happy to see the Chelsea result today. Gives us just the tiniest bit of breathing room, especially considering how tough United's run in will be (and they and Chelsea have to play one-another still).

The most galling thing is how nicely this is all set up for Woolwich to get top four and/or finish above us. I cannot describe how much pleasure them fucking it all up would give me. We'll need at least one good result from the Liverpool and City matches to hold them off, I reckon.

Very happy to see the Chelsea result today. Gives us just the tiniest bit of breathing room, especially considering how tough United's run in will be (and they and Chelsea have to play one-another still).

The most galling thing is how nicely this is all set up for Woolwich to get top four and/or finish above us. I cannot describe how much pleasure them fucking it all up would give me. We'll need at least one good result from the Liverpool and City matches to hold them off, I reckon.
The Problem for the scum is away games. They seem to travel worse than a week old fish stew

The Problem for the scum is away games. They seem to travel worse than a week old fish stew
giphy.gif

I have a Goon boss and as far as I can see his personal hygiene is ok but his moral compass and eyesight is fucked. He did grow up in Charlton though so being a Goon isn’t such a surprise

Watch how many City and Dipper players pick up 'mystery' injuries before the International break, then watch how the same players are miraculously back fit for the run-in ... if the FA don't take action we should pull all our players as well, can't be right that the same teams take the piss over and over again ....

Watch how many City and Dipper players pick up 'mystery' injuries before the International break, then watch how the same players are miraculously back fit for the run-in ... if the FA don't take action we should pull all our players as well, can't be right that the same teams take the piss over and over again ....
Already happening, shame poch doesn’t do the same but Dier and dele could do with some more game time to improve there match fitness

Back
Top Bottom