The Race For 7th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not saying we're not better off.

The quality of football we're watching is better than anything we've seen in the last 4 years.

But let's just keep our feet on the ground eh?

Just enjoy when the going is good as it more often than not isn't.

Or reserve your enjoyment in order to revel in the inevitable disappointment taking some weird 'I told you so' satisfaction aimed at your internal monologue?

Last season we drew 2-2 away to Brentford, 2-2 at home with Utd, lost 3-1 away to Woolwich, 1-2 at home vs Liverpool, 4-1 away at Leicester - but beat Leeds (h) and Bournemouth (a) 4-3 and 3-2 respectively.

I intend to enjoy our football and celebrate Europa League qualification like Mourinho did if we get it. Anything above that I will be doing a fucking conga for 3 days solid.

Just enjoy when the going is good as it more often than not isn't.

Or reserve your enjoyment in order to revel in the inevitable disappointment taking some weird 'I told you so' satisfaction aimed at your internal monologue?

Last season we drew 2-2 away to Brentford, 2-2 at home with Utd, lost 3-1 away to Woolwich, 1-2 at home vs Liverpool, 4-1 away at Leicester - but beat Leeds (h) and Bournemouth (a) 4-3 and 3-2 respectively.

I intend to enjoy our football and celebrate Europa League qualification like Mourinho did if we get it. Anything above that I will be doing a fucking conga for 3 days solid.
I don’t think there is one right way of handling it. I prefer not to get my hopes up really high like title talk. Which I have seen on here based off a few games. Some do & are picturing us winning it & getting super excited thinking it will probably happen. Which is their right & their way of dealing with things. Others are more cautious & prefer to keep grounded & their feet on the ground. Pros & cons to both approaches.

Also we all have different bars. As you say, you are ecstatic at europa league qualification. So you are very easily pleased & can get huge amount of enjoyment from very low success. Where as others think we can do better & should be aiming higher to actually winning stuff. Then there are others who think we should be grateful for europa league qualification.
I think we are on course for that 4th/5th CL spot at present which is really good going.

It's great how small little inconvenient and irrelevant Tottenham have rattled two fanbases within a week.
Before the season they had us finishing mid table, now we're getting carried away for being unbeaten and winning 5 of our first 7.

Apparently we're the ones who need a reality check, not them after seeing that we aren't as shit as they hoped.

People can fuck off with this don’t get to carried away and excited bollox , I’ve already booked me hotel for the title parade in May! :ange-arms:
Good lad.

I see the "other teams aren't playing well" bollocks narrative has started as well.

discussion anthony GIF

For the carried away lot, you can still get 200/1 on us winning the double.

Weirdest thing is, if we beat Luton on Saturday, we could put pressure on both Woolwich and City in their game on Sunday.

But yeah if Ange gets 6th he's done a good job.

For the carried away lot, you can still get 200/1 on us winning the double.

Weirdest thing is, if we beat Luton on Saturday, we could put pressure on both Woolwich and City in their game on Sunday.

But yeah if Ange gets 6th he's done a good job.
6th from this position is not a good job at all unless we get a lot of injuries and he gets Levy’d in Jan

6th from this position is not a good job at all unless we get a lot of injuries and he gets Levy’d in Jan
I predicted before Kane left that he would get Levy'd [sacked], if not before Christmas, then before the end of the season, 6th or not.

That's not a reflection on Ange, just on how poor our squad is and how the likes of Mourinho and Conte, but to name a few, struggled even with a similar start to the season.

Good lad.

I see the "other teams aren't playing well" bollocks narrative has started as well.

discussion anthony GIF
There are always teams that don't play well every season. Which is the main reason why we all get our predictions wrong. No one can predict which teams will underperform in a season.

The best way to look at it is through points. We only had 60 last season but before Conte walked we were on track to getting around 66 points which gets you at least 6th every season.

Add Vicario for Lloris and Van De Ven for Dier and you automatically improve the backline which was our biggest issue. That get's us more points this season. Bissouma, Son and Udogie are like new players and just like that nearly half the teams improved. And a more attacking system means that we don't miss Kane's goals.

It doesn't matter what other teams do throughout the season.

We lost 3 games 8-12 last season. But "same" teams we did OK.

SAME TEAMSAME GAME
Luton Town (Southampton)AA3-3DGoonsA1-3L
FulhamHH2-1WBrightonA1-0W
Crystal PalaceAA4-0WEvertonH2-0W
ChelseaHH2-0WManchester UnitedA0-2L
WolvesAA0-1LNewcastle UnitedH1-2L

this year? very unlikely, but who knows? Let's see how it looks like after we play everybody once.

This decade : both Premiership and CL, maybe more than once. I have been feeling it for years, even through the last dark years.

For the moment, I am enjoying every single minute of our season beyond any words, and one of the things I am enjoying most is how opponents fans don't get why we celebrate every game as we are

COYS!!!

To get 7 points from United and Liverpool (H) and Woolwich (A) is incredible progress really.

I don't think we've ever managed that in the Premier League era before. Correct me if I am wrong.

And even then, Levy is not going to buy Eze for 70 million in January if he can get him for 40 6 months later. And he's not even wrong if we're thinking long term.

There are always teams that don't play well every season. Which is the main reason why we all get our predictions wrong. No one can predict which teams will underperform in a season.

The best way to look at it is through points. We only had 60 last season but before Conte walked we were on track to getting around 66 points which gets you at least 6th every season.

Add Vicario for Lloris and Van De Ven for Dier and you automatically improve the backline which was our biggest issue. That get's us more points this season. Bissouma, Son and Udogie are like new players and just like that nearly half the teams improved. And a more attacking system means that we don't miss Kane's goals.

It doesn't matter what other teams do throughout the season.
I get your point but , to some, the narrative is "we only finished X in the league because other teams were poor"

It's bollocks. If we get 4th it's because we deserve to finish 4th.
If we finish 8th it's because we deserve to finish 8th.

Only a bit? That's very generous of you. We can't all be as smart as you making millions selling turkey.

Selling them is the easy part.

Running around the back garden catching them all is the hard bit.

Sylvester Stallone came to my house once. Saw the hell I put myself through every day and said I’m going to put that in a film.
The rest as they say is history.

The thing that worries me the most is with Ange winning the league in his first season it’s going to be quite hard to follow this up in the second season! :ange-blow:

Back
Top Bottom