The Race For 7th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

6th from this position is not a good job at all unless we get a lot of injuries and he gets Levy’d in Jan

That’s a crazy statement.

2022. 7 games in. 3rd. Same points last season. W5 D2 L0.
We finished 8th.
And Leeds were 10th after 7 games…..
Newcastle were 11th.

Literally anything can happen.

We are very dependant on a first 11. We definitely lose key players in January. And I’d expect injuries will play a part in our season. That’s football. You know this.

I’d still be happy with top 6 right now. If we are 2nd after 30 games I will revisit this post though. 6th place then would be a total fuck up.

I would be very disappointed with 6th.
I am not one who dwells on the past but last season was fecking weird.
More than one player downed tools. People died and/or were unhealthy.
That is now over. Top 4 is the minimum I am expecting from this season.

We’ve played the bottom 3 on our first 7. Who over 21 games have failed to win one game between them. Drew with Brentford who have currently won 1 game. Bit shit aren’t they.

We scored two goals in injury time to beat Sheffield United at home. Lucky maybe??

We beat Liverpool due to a very lucky own goal and they were down to 10 men for the majority of the match. Lucky for sure.

A draw yesterday we would be 5th.
But we should definitely finish top 4??

This place has gone mental.

Think I’m going to take a break from this thread and come back after 20 games. See how the land lies then.

Hopefully we are still top4.
:ange-pray:

We’ve played the bottom 3 on our first 7. Who over 21 games have failed to win one game between them. Drew with Brentford who have currently won 1 game. Bit shit aren’t they.

We scored two goals in injury time to beat Sheffield United at home. Lucky maybe??

We beat Liverpool due to a very lucky own goal and they were down to 10 men for the majority of the match. Lucky for sure.

Think I’m going to take a break from this thread and come back after 20 games. See how the land lies then.

If if if if - can't stand all this hypothetical bullshit, you genuinely sound like a rival fan desperate to talk down our chances

You can make the same argument about every other team in the league, for example:

If Liverpool didn't score a late goal against Newcastle...
If Woolwich didn't score a late goal against Man Utd...
The only 'top' team City have played so far is Newcastle...

Blah blah blah, come on stop this crap, it's genuinely stupid way to argue and just lacks a load of context!

Speak on what's happened, not what could have happened, just accept the fact that we are 5-2-0 after 7 matches, no-one thought we'd do this well at the start of the season so it's perfectly understandable why people are getting excited.

Last edited:

Or we could say we are 1 point behind City and still unbeaten despite playing 3 of the big 6 whilst City have played none.

Depends whether your glass is half empty or half full, I guess.

We finished 8th.
Newcastle were 11th.

We are very dependant on a first 11. We definitely lose key players in January. And I’d expect injuries will play a part in our season. That’s football. You know this.

I’d still be happy with top 6 right now. If we are 2nd after 30 games I will revisit this post though. 6th place then would be a total fuck up.
Agree but last year, we weren’t playing well and relying on goalscorers (after 7). Now, we are dominating games, creating chances and defending well. This is far more sustainable

Agree on risk of injury/first 11 and said as much. No Europe/league cup also helps. Got about 10 games until the window opens and Levy will surely be comfortable backing Ange (more-so than Conte who was on knife edge)

9 points up on the corresponding fixtures last season
F7fKvmgXIAAgn_j

We finished 8th.
Newcastle were 11th.

I agree it's a crazy statement
And agree literally anything can happen
Agree we're dependent on first XI

As against that I'd say our performances in the 7 matches have been chalk and cheese compared to last season, albeit the results are identical.

I remember the matches against 3 of those - Spam, Forest, Wolves - were all appalling. Go ahead, wait for the final whistle. The draw at Spam was a disgrace, going ahead then shutting up shop against a team that was in desperate form at the time. I'd expect that match now would be one where we'd go ahead and score 3. We'd score 4 at Forest. 3 at Wolves.

61,732HSouthamptonW4-1Sessegnon, Dier, Salisu (OG), Kulusevski
13-Aug-22FA Prem39,946AChelseaD2-2Højbjerg, Kane
20-Aug-22FA Prem61,298HWolvesW1-0Kane
27-Aug-22FA Prem29,296ANottingham ForestW2-0Kane (2)
30-Aug-22FA Prem62,450AWest Ham UnitedD1-1Kehrer (OG)
03-Sep-22FA Prem61,641HFulhamW2-1Højbjerg, Kane
17-Sep-22FA Prem61,450HLeicester CityW6-2Kane, Dier, Bentancur, Son (3)

Our 8th match was away at Goons where we scored a pen in a 1-3 and we weren't at the races. Thank God I wasn't there, but I'd have loved to have been there last week where we took the game to them and were still pushing for a winner in the last minute.

Ange knows the squad limitations. He must know how reliant we are on Madz right now. He will have his targets for January with unofficial input from Paratici, both of them have fantastic records in buying the right players. He'll know whether Bentancur can replicate last season's pre-injury form.

Those matches above were worrying compared to our last 8-10 from the previous season where we scored for fun, thrashed the Goons, and overtook them to top 4.

And our first few this season are chalk and cheese to the last 8-10 of last season where if we'd carried on we'd be relegated. And it's without Kane who gained us over 20 pts last season.

Before the manager started turning it around I'd say that top 6 would have been a success. Now top 4 is a very realistic target.

Before the manager started turning it around I'd say that top 6 would have been a success. Now top 4 is a very realistic target.
It’s important we don’t re-adjust our expectations (as it manifests in entitlement, for many), should we hit the mud with a few poor games or injuries.

Top 6 is still a good bounce back. Hope for top 3-4 but Liverpool and Woolwich are mean flat track bullies (our 11 is a match up, but squad way short), so only 1 spot appears open.

My hope is 2nd, par from here is 5th or 6th (if Brighton go on a wonder run, they had the last 2 seasons building to this point, etc).

Think if we can get to January with Maddison and Son fit most games, we have a real chance (if Ange/Paratici get a Maddison cover, plus Bentancur and/or a new midfielder to replace Hojbjerg, CB to come in as good backup/challenger to Romero and VDV.

Miraculous how close we are, to being a match to all, probably bar City.

Spurs 16-1. I traditionally put a bet on before the season starts, in my annual gift to the bookies on Spurs to win the league
I got 40-1 before the season kicked off.

Man city 4/7
Liverpool 13/2
Woolwich 13/2
Tottenham 16/1

Spurs 16-1. I traditionally put a bet on before the season starts, in my annual gift to the bookies on Spurs to win the league
I got 40-1 before the season kicked off.

Man city 4/7
Liverpool 13/2
Woolwich 13/2
Tottenham 16/1
That’s Dark Horses odds. Like it.

Man Utd 100-1
Chelsea 150-1
Very short odds considering it’s basically throwing money away.

Or we could say we are 1 point behind City and still unbeaten despite playing 3 of the big 6 whilst City have played none.

Depends whether your glass is half empty or half full, I guess.

I don't think it's a case of that.......

As far as I can tell (in which case I agree); the point wasn't not to get jazzed up by how well things have gone, but to avoid being complacent or start peddling "anything less that top 4 is a fail"-style narratives so early in the season given where expectations were in May/Jun.

I think it's completely unfair on Ange to suddenly saddle him (and the players) with that degree of expectation just cos we've had a strong start.

Right now, as a fanbase, we should just concern ourselves with enjoying the positive vibes and being supportive; not creating new pressures with only 18% of the season played.

Last edited:

Agree last season was very odd/abnormal

We played well and got lots of points up until the mid season World Cup.

Its after that things went downhill with several players coming back from the world cup carrying injuries, and the extra games mid season seemed to be too much for a number of our players, with many seeming to down tools either as a reaction to the number of games being played and/or Conte's training and style of play which none of the players seemed to like.

This season, all the players seem far more motivated and seem to be enjoying themselves - plus we had a better transfer window than anyone could have foreseen bringing in a top GK (Vicario), excellent if young LCB (Van de Ven), perhaps best creative midfielder in UK (Maddison) then there is Udogie in his debut season whilst both Bissouma and Porro are playing to a far higher standard than under Conte - so its like 6 of the first team has been upgraded with top players, with Johnson still to be really seen, and the loss of Kane seems well behind us. Not to mention Ange sems far better at motivating and tactically organising players than Conte ever was

So the team this season is in no way comparable to last season, and nor the results.

And the other big plus point this season is playing pretty much only once a week through not being in europe - and that balances up our squad which is a bit thin in places, although arguably no more so than last season in terms of quality back up

I think the only thing that can be said is that we do not know what this team could be capable of - especially if we get one or two reinforcements in January and even one or two youngsters making an impression.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom