The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston "not famous anymore" Villa

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I certainly think we should play those fringe players that are capable. Why not? Give anyone needing a rest, a rest. Anyone who needs a game for sharpness or fitness, give them a game. No need to rotate the whole 11, but 4 or 5 changes, why? Still be loads of experience and ability enough to beat most teams, certainly Villa.

We can easily take care of Villa with a B team. They are not the powerful force they used to be.

Don't be bewildered by 'the magic of the cup' media-driven psycho-babble. Of course I want us to win the cup, or at least go on a far, far run.

Janssen starts this one if fit. He needs some game time & get on the scoresheet for his confidence. No disrespect to Villa at all intended (although I do confess to having an irrational dislike of them for some reason) but this is the sort of game where he should play the full 90 minutes & hopefully get his game going.
I still have high hopes for him, but he needs to get going soon for us.

Looking forward to this game, nice chance to keep the fringe players match sharp and crucial game time. Not the easiest match, but not the hardest either, but think our squad has enough to see us through. Shows how far we have come on, that the majority of our back up players are of high quality and all wanting first team action, I think most of them would get into an average premier league team, let alone Villa's.
I would go for.
Vorm
Trips..Toby (C).. Wimmer...Davies
Dier... Winks
Sissoko.. Son.... N'Koudou
Janssen
I would play Toby, just because it hasnt had that much game time, and we need that extra bit of quality in the spine. Hopefully Dier will help out with Trips defensively, and would like to see him get forward and show the same quality as Watford, also really excited to see Winksy get another start. Feel like its a huge game for the likes of Janssen and N'Koudou to stake a claim.

Subs- Lopez, Carroll, Onomah, CCV, Kane, Dele, Eriksen
If we are struggling in the game, then bring the big guns on, if we are cruising then give the likes of Onomah, CCV and Carroll some game time.

Don't want to play too many kids but we have quite a few good ones coming through so I'll throw out a couple of teams just for fun.

If we really wanted to give youth some game time

Vorm
KWP CCV Kev davies
Winks dier
Edwards Onomah GKN
Vinny/Harrison

Will probably see something more like this

Vorm
Trippier CCV Wimmer davies
Dier/Wanyama Winks
Sissoko Onomah/eriksen Son
Janssen

Really want GKN to start, would like to see onomah and CCV given a start too. Think harrison and edwards will be on the bench, would like to see KWP in the sqaud too.

Is Edwards ditt to play?

If he is, I want to see him. At least as a sub.
Vorm
CCV Wimmer Davies
Trippier Sissoko Winks Nkoudo
Edwards Son
Jansen
Or Davies instead of Nkoudo, Nkoudo instead of Edwards and Toby in the middle as central defender.

Vorm
CCV Toby Wimmer
Trippier Sissoko Winks Davies
Nkoudo Son
Jansen

Those suggesting we rotate our entire 11; are you saying we concentrate on winning the league now?

We're in form, and i am encouraged by our current performances in the league, but i also remember how we fair in other comps when we play our "second string".

Poch has taken some proper flak on here for not prioritising cup comps in the past. Villa are no longer a Premiership side, but they are not Non-League either. If we want to advance we need to play a strong side.

I think Poch will do what he always does and play a mixture of youth and bench players with a couple of first teamers to give us an air of quality. I can see it being a tough game, possibly a replay.

Its a good point mate......he does get stick for the cups, and maybe its not fair for us to now say rest everyone because we've gatecrashed the party at the top.

For us, it should be balance. Personally I think that the fringe players need to be played in the cups and maybe get a bit longer run out in certain games. Example Janssen surely could have got longer than 2 minutes when 4-1 up against Southampton.

I dont really like half n half teams, but its difficult and unfair to play a full second string home to Villa all the way through the comp, then drop them should we get Chelsea away in the semis.

We saw the effects (or ineffectiveness) of Conte throwing on Batshuyai at the end there....a player you have no faith in, and one who has little motivation to prove himself due to any efforts going unrewarded will not likely turn a game when needed.

Not saying Poch has done this, but a little more gentle integration wouldnt go a miss for Vinny, Onomah and Nkoudo. They could easily rotate more with Son, who can be massively frustrating.

My point? Not sure really.....not full strength, but not mixed, but not full second string....hmmm, not easy for the manager really is it!

I'm not Poch, but I think the following is a good enough mix to get us through. Toby needs some match sharpening and I think this would be a good run out for him.

Vorm
Trippier, Toby, Wimmer, Davies
Dier, Winks
Sissoko, Eriksen, Son
Janssen

Its a good point mate......he does get stick for the cups, and maybe its not fair for us to now say rest everyone because we've gatecrashed the party at the top.

For us, it should be balance. Personally I think that the fringe players need to be played in the cups and maybe get a bit longer run out in certain games. Example Janssen surely could have got longer than 2 minutes when 4-1 up against Southampton.

I dont really like half n half teams, but its difficult and unfair to play a full second string home to Villa all the way through the comp, then drop them should we get Chelsea away in the semis.

We saw the effects (or ineffectiveness) of Conte throwing on Batshuyai at the end there....a player you have no faith in, and one who has little motivation to prove himself due to any efforts going unrewarded will not likely turn a game when needed.

Not saying Poch has done this, but a little more gentle integration wouldnt go a miss for Vinny, Onomah and Nkoudo. They could easily rotate more with Son, who can be massively frustrating.

My point? Not sure really.....not full strength, but not mixed, but not full second string....hmmm, not easy for the manager really is it!

It isn't, and i appreciate my post may not be popular whilst fans are still buoyant from beating the runaway leaders of the premiership.

But my view is based on our previous results in the cups when we have played a weakened side; getting knocked out to Palace last year, the games / replays against Leicester and Burnley. Our consistent underperformance in Europe.

These games were won / lost by small margins and generally required first team players to be subbed on to get the result or the unnecessary burden of an extra game. Our second string is not as good as we like to think it is (although the ability of our squad overall is probably currently better than it has ever been).

There is no easy answer; managers make decisions and if they come off they are hailed as geniuses and if they don't they are vilified, but from the fans point of view there is a great deal of hypocrisy. If we are going to use "squad" players in these games then we need to adjust our expectations and see these games as experience for the youth and players in need of game time, but realise that it may mean that we have a very real chance of getting knocked out "prematurely".

Ultimately we have no control over the manager's decisions and the teamsheet that he picks anyway so all we can do is adjust our expectations.

COYS

Last edited:
Tube strike from 6pm should fuck up all of us trying to get home

Hopefully it will get called off.
No Victoria line at all due to strike. No trains from Northumberland Park or Tottenham Hale due to engineering works, on either Greater Anglia or Stansted Express. Nothing from South Tottenham. Literally the only way back to central London will be from WHL station, that'll be fun... and then we'll all be stranded at Liverpool St.

I notice the club hasn't published it's normal pre-match travel advice story, presumably because of the shitshow this promises to be!

Can only imagine how difficult it'll be for Villa fans trying to get back to Euston for pre-booked trains.

Back
Top Bottom