Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was not commenting on what we should do but using it as a point of how it is more difficult to bring through the youth. If we were not "needing" CL its a lot easier to give KWP a run as a key player and see if he has the potential, now its harder.

* I think all 3 out and two in is the way forwards personally,

Already noted mate and agree with your sentiments.

*Right now, all fall short of #1 for me but as long as Poch was committed to them then i'd happily have any of the current lads deputise so long as we sold the other 2....

I agree with all that except the bet.
Fyi there is a poster who said "he'd eat his underpants if Kane ever did better than bing a championship striker' .
Needless to say he was reminded....and stopped posting much for a year or more after Kane overtook adebayir and Soldado as starter for Spurs ,!

Guess i'd have to bake a hat shaped cake or something.... :llorishowudoin:

#NeverMakeAnEatMyOwnShitPledge

Already noted mate and agree with your sentiments.

*Right now, all fall short of #1 for me but as long as Poch was committed to them then i'd happily have any of the current lads deputise so long as we sold the other 2....
I tend not to criticize players, I give youngsters a lot of time before I make a conclusion but I do predict and judge, opinions change if the players improve....but... I don't see it in KWP, other than a calmness in attack I don't see any attribute that makes me think he will make it. I respect people who have seen him at youth level but that was a long time ago now. May be worth giving him game time to add a few £MM to his fee but cant see him doing much here.

Ajax / Gent etc this is their goal to develop and sell (while competing in an easy league) - they have less pressure and can take more risks to develop these types of players. We could follow this model without the expectation of CL but that's not where we are / who we are competing with. If we reset sold all our jewels and go again no doubt we will have a lot of decent players, but we would likely to become a real selling club as we would not make CL.

Majority of Barca youth players have to leave Barca to progress, they are not a conveyer belt and again have less competition.

Very good point and what you say is definitely valid, however when you see the quality that the likes of Chelsea, Man City, even Woolwich have developed on occasions I still think we could do more with our scouting networks.

When you look through our academy products there aren't many that don't come from the British Isles. Barcelona, Ajax, even clubs in the English game like Woolwich & City use their scouting system to develop players from all over. The only foreign youngsters we have at the moment that aren't English or Irish I believe are Tainio & Pochettino, along with a young Swedish goalkeeper I believe.

I love English talent coming through for our game but when you're playing in a system where Eric Dier can't be classed as HG yet Cesc Fabregas can I really feel we miss out with our limited scope. I'm not saying we flood our youth teams with French or German kids but we should be using Europe to offer players who have better quality than the ones we have on our books.

You're right the expectations at our club make it more difficult for youngster to get a chance but when you see the players we have our on loan or the ones who have come through I still think we could do more to give our academy better quality with bigger chances to make it at 1st team level. German clubs love an English youngster so I don't see why we can't offer a Danish prospect better exposure, better facilities than they get in their homeland and why there aren't a couple more each year added from overseas.

I tend not to criticize players, I give youngsters a lot of time before I make a conclusion but I do predict and judge, opinions change if the players improve....but... I don't see it in KWP, other than a calmness in attack I don't see any attribute that makes me think he will make it. I respect people who have seen him at youth level but that was a long time ago now. May be worth giving him game time to add a few £MM to his fee but cant see him doing much here.

I'm similarly reluctant re: writing off players.

Prob. we have with all 3 is they are prone to blunders... In theory, KWP being the youngest, should be the most malleable.

Personally, i like Serge's up-side the most but Poch seems to hold reservations about both of them.

It's a shame KT had such a ropey season after the WC hype cos either way (by design at least) we would likely have been looking to sell him this summer (if not before if Serge had a bigger impact last year) cos of age/peak pricetag.

Very good point and what you say is definitely valid, however when you see the quality that the likes of Chelsea, Man City, even Woolwich have developed on occasions I still think we could do more with our scouting networks.
Who? Chelsea & Man city have chucked money at the best kids, as far as I am aware (and I am a little aware) its who pays the most rather than scouting, we all know about the best kids its just they pay more (legally or not) to get them.

When you look through our academy products there aren't many that don't come from the British Isles. Barcelona, Ajax, even clubs in the English game like Woolwich & City use their scouting system to develop players from all over. The only foreign youngsters we have at the moment that aren't English or Irish I believe are Tainio & Pochettino, along with a young Swedish goalkeeper I believe.
Fair point - there a few more than that but we are largely London based, its great when they make it though. Although at the moment English players are tearing up the youth tournaments so that may have something to do with it. We have previously had a lot more youth from Europe it could just be a quirk of when we look. It may be a cultural thing and persuading the best foreign players that we are now a viable option.

Who? Chelsea & Man city have chucked money at the best kids, as far as I am aware (and I am a little aware) its who pays the most rather than scouting, we all know about the best kids its just they pay more (legally or not) to get them.

Fair point - there a few more than that but we are largely London based, its great when they make it though. Although at the moment English players are tearing up the youth tournaments so that may have something to do with it. We have previously had a lot more youth from Europe it could just be a quirk of when we look. It may be a cultural thing and persuading the best foreign players that we are now a viable option.

Agreed some of the youth policies are crooked as but I still struggle to see why we seem to settle for a fair old amount that don't no have it from the off. I know so,e players can develop and grow into being better players but I still think our academy is where we as a club should be taking more risks. The London based boys I love seeing as part of the club, it's so valuable for the future but I'd honestly more like to see one or two more each adacemy product line having a real talent from aboard join us.

I suppose the point I'm making is if these players are on Gent's and Ajax's radar they should be on ours as well as we have the resources that surpass both. It really would be interesting to know how many scouts we employ and what games/ seniority they scout for the club.

suppose the point I'm making is if these players are on Gent's and Ajax's radar they should be on ours as well as we have the resources that surpass both.

A record of promotion to the first team and pathway onwards will definitely help. I guess if you are a Danish kid you will think that you have more chance of first team gametime in Holland and Belgium and that is an important consideration. Loans are not consistently a good alternative.

And then we are back to the argument about ease of putting players in the first team.

A record of promotion to the first team and pathway onwards will definitely help. I guess if you are a Danish kid you will think that you have more chance of first team gametime in Holland and Belgium and that is an important consideration. Loans are not consistently a good alternative.

And then we are back to the argument about ease of putting players in the first team.

It's hard to say what the motives are for young talent trying to make it a true the top, it can be argued two ways.

Firstly as you have said they might join a team for quicker progression and more chance at first team levels, whichna Belgian club would clearly give them. At the same time there's no guarantee they'll be seen as a promising player even if they perform well at that level. If you're a Danish youngster for example and Gent + Tottenham Hotspur come in for you I'd like to thinknthe facilities and stature of our club could offer enough of a pull to offer value to their progress.

The point is there's so much talent across Europe so why do we seemingly limit ourselves to Middlesex or London based potential? Our academy game needs to be taken up a notch, we miss out on utilising a hugely important platform using a network of 30-40 countries as opposed to the 2-3 we focus most of our attention on. We offer a top chance to a youngster to train with a top team, possibilities to train with the first team, play in the highest
level youth competitions under a manager who has demonstrated his willingness to drip feed first team opportunities to youth at the clubs he's been a part of & I honestly believe letting these prospects join the likes of Brescia, Lyon, Hoffenheim etc instead sees us miss a trick. I'm sure that some would rather Gent but I'm also certain some would be very interested in a youth set up and team like ours.

Leave that to pricks like you mate if you can't handle the truth of our situation then stick me on ignore simple.

Calm down. You wouldn't want to leave a puddle, oh righteous truth-bearer.

I've just spent the last couple of pages discussing said crossroads actually.

Meanwhile, I missed the part where you offered up any progressive insight or ideas... :gallashmm:

Enjoy reveling in whatever misery you choose to envisage....

Me, i'll just carry on enjoying my team... 3rd in the league and qtrs of the CL despite 2 years of naysaying - good times. :)

Apparently, Woolwich are now trying to lure Lille’s sporting director Luis Campos. Done a great job at Lille (Celik, Mendes, Bamba, Leao, Pepe etc) and previously at Monaco (building a big chunk of that championship winning team Fabinho, Bernardo Silva, Bakayoko, Lemar etc)

He’s one of the shrewdest DOF’s around right now I reckon.

Oooh:

Sancho: My special connection with Kane

Make it happen. Statement signing. I could only see United being interested currently but they've got Martial and Rashford plus youngsters like Greenwood. City are stacked in his position, Chelsea have a transfer ban and Woolwich are skint with not many saleable assets.

Looks like Eriksen is on his way plus a few other outgoings should make him affordable. 70 Mill plus add ons I'd say.

The chance to link up with Kane before the Euros and return to London makes it a possibly.

9JUF.gif

I think the next few seasons are looking pretty dire for us. Think about it, Vertonghen will be 32 soon, Alderweireld most likely gone in the summer and Eriksen most likely gone in the summer. Three of our best players soon gone and we don't have any replacements for them. Also our midfield is not good enough and our full-backs neither. Let's be honest, we won't be able to replace or upgrade any through the market either.

I think the next few seasons are looking pretty dire for us. Think about it, Vertonghen will be 32 soon, Alderweireld most likely gone in the summer and Eriksen most likely gone in the summer. Three of our best players soon gone and we don't have any replacements for them. Also our midfield is not good enough and our full-backs neither. Let's be honest, we won't be able to replace or upgrade any through the market either.
Agree but that was always the risk when you don't recruit anyone for two windows that has probably set the club back for a while, if 2/3 come in along with 3/4 going out the process starts all over again.

We need to recruit properly this summer, the last month and the season in general with the lack of fit players and good football will surely prove that to Poch and Levy.
Wouldn't worry too much about Toby as we have good cover at CB obvs I would love him to stay tho - Vertonghen looks like he could play comfortably for another three years imo and be our elder statesman player who the young players will thrive training with and being around.
If Eriksen ends up going we will see a big replacement brought in, I have very little doubt about that too but the worry is a Dembele replacement, thats the area we most need to get a proper class player in for.

I am sure 1 or 2 changes at full back will happen too and we have players there who would demand decent sums of money from potential suitors as well so again, not that concerned.

The next few seasons do not look dire at all, calm down fs.

Back
Top Bottom