Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've seen loads of Sangare, he's got some ability but is so raw, he's definitely not ready for our level, if we were going to buy Sangare, I just don't understand why we wouldn't just save the money and give Onomah some game time, he's got just as much ability and is also raw, they both play similar roles.

I mentioned Atal months ago in the "General" section (either the Ligue1 or Players to keep an eye on threads). He's a lively little fucker attacking wise, but he's only played as WB in CB3 system at Nice all season, and Nice play a very conservative brand of football. He definitely has the pace to play in a back four, high line system though.

I saw it half-jokingly mentioned in the New Stadium thread, but I think it's actually very valid:

Daniel Levy's job with the new stadium is basically done now. That "what the fuck do I do now?" look on his face in the stands.

Even putting the financial hit from having to play longer at Wembley than expected aside (and you can bet that the delay did cost us a pretty penny), the past summer will have been so new-stadium-focussed that it's not entirely surprising our transfer business suffered.

It's genuinely exciting that, at last, the club will be able to put its attention fully on improving the match day squad. This likely couldn't come at a more important time considering that our hand may be forced regarding Eriksen and Alderweireld.

I saw it half-jokingly mentioned in the New Stadium thread, but I think it's actually very valid:

Daniel Levy's job with the new stadium is basically done now. That "what the fuck do I do now?" look on his face in the stands.

Even putting the financial hit from having to play longer at Wembley than expected aside (and you can bet that the delay did cost us a pretty penny), the past summer will have been so new-stadium-focussed that it's not entirely surprising our transfer business suffered.

It's genuinely exciting that, at last, the club will be able to put its attention fully on improving the match day squad. This likely couldn't come at a more important time considering that our hand may be forced regarding Eriksen and Alderweireld.
You make a very good point!
Plus keep in mind that we don’t have a seperate sporting director anymore too

Think its a bit premature to say Levy and co can 'fully' concentrate on improving the match day squad, currently on his 'to do' list are also
- Complete the remaining stadium 'bits' such as the Sky walk and sky bridge and associated commitments such as building the community health centre in Worcester Avenue (much less time required than the main stadium build but still takes some time)
- Coming to some agreement with contractors who caused the 8 month delay in opening or preparing to take them to court.
- There's still the flats/hotel blocks to be built on south side of stadium site. Quite possibly it'll be JV'd with a construction company so the JV agreement needs to be negotiated.
- There's at least 2 other significant redevelopments (Goodsway Yard and old BM site) totalling some 600+ flats etc where Spurs are currently taking Haringey on who are refusing planning permission, perhaps because Haringey have negotiated a deal with Lendlease to develop the High Road West area where Spurs own almost half of the properties. So its a messy situation which will take DL time

Whilst I assume DL has a number of people dealing with the above, these projects will take significant amounts of DL's time.

Just hope he's also got people working for him on football recruitment this summer ...….

Think its a bit premature to say Levy and co can 'fully' concentrate on improving the match day squad, currently on his 'to do' list are also
- Complete the remaining stadium 'bits' such as the Sky walk and sky bridge and associated commitments such as building the community health centre in Worcester Avenue (much less time required than the main stadium build but still takes some time)
- Coming to some agreement with contractors who caused the 8 month delay in opening or preparing to take them to court.
- There's still the flats/hotel blocks to be built on south side of stadium site. Quite possibly it'll be JV'd with a construction company so the JV agreement needs to be negotiated.
- There's at least 2 other significant redevelopments (Goodsway Yard and old BM site) totalling some 600+ flats etc where Spurs are currently taking Haringey on who are refusing planning permission, perhaps because Haringey have negotiated a deal with Lendlease to develop the High Road West area where Spurs own almost half of the properties. So its a messy situation which will take DL time

Whilst I assume DL has a number of people dealing with the above, these projects will take significant amounts of DL's time.

Just hope he's also got people working for him on football recruitment this summer ...….
Still think even with all that, he will have a lot more time than he did last summer. Also the euphoria of actually seeing the fruits of his labour come to pass can’t be discounted.

In other words he will definitely be less stressed and more focused.

Okay, fair enough, 'totally' as an absolute is probably a strong word.

As Joshking5 Joshking5 says though, Levy's schedule has certainly become a lot more clear now than a year ago.

Still think even with all that, he will have a lot more time than he did last summer. Also the euphoria of actually seeing the fruits of his labour come to pass can’t be discounted.

In other words he will definitely be less stressed and more focused.
Okay, fair enough, 'totally' as an absolute is probably a strong word.

As Joshking5 Joshking5 says though, Levy's schedule has certainly become a lot more clear now than a year ago.

Agree he'll have more time - but with that 'to do' list he'll have a lot less time than the Summer 2017 Transfer Window when we bought some players (Summer 2018 we didn't)

But I do believe we will get some players in this summer

But I do believe we will get some players in this summer
That’s the spirit
tenor.gif

We need players with the skill and vision to move the ball around the opponent's penalty area. I am more convinced after last night we should be tapping up Reus.
He does have the skill and vision, but does he has the physique to handle Poch's style of play/trainings?
Also age isn't in his favor anymore and I really believe he will retire at his boyhood club Dortmund :dier:

He does have the skill and vision, but does he has the physique to handle Poch's style of play/trainings?
Also age isn't in his favor anymore and I really believe he will retire at his boyhood club Dortmund :dier:
Maybe his age is not ideal, but I think now the stadium is done it is winning time. If he can deliver for the next 2 seasons then that is all we need from him.

My suggestion for right back: Thomas Meunier

Pro's:
-Good cross
-Does attempt a lot of take ons in final third
-Out of favor with Tuchel + almost out of contract, and we are known to be able to negotiate with PSG

Cons:
-In my opinion, his full potential is only realized with 3 at the back and him as a wingback (So not as a Rb in our current setup perhaps)
-His attacking talent > his defensive talent (not saying he's a liability though)
-I'm biased, he's Belgian too, not sorry at all

My suggestion for right back: Thomas Meunier

Pro's:
-Good cross
-Does attempt a lot of take ons in final third
-Out of favor with Tuchel + almost out of contract, and we are known to be able to negotiate with PSG

Cons:
-In my opinion, his full potential is only realized with 3 at the back and him as a wingback (So not as a Rb in our current setup perhaps)
-His attacking talent > his defensive talent (not saying he's a liability though)
-I'm biased, he's Belgian too, not sorry at all

I think that after two flops we should be wary of buying more of PSG’s unwanted players. Therd is a reason these guys can’t get regular games in a farmers league.

I think that after two flops we should be wary of buying more of PSG’s unwanted players. Therd is a reason these guys can’t get regular games in a farmers league.

"Can't get games in a farmers league" or just aren't considered #1 in a bloated and expensive squad?

Would you rule Rabiot out on a similar basis?

They wanted Rabiot to stay, he’s only in the doghouse because of his mother. Different situation to their other deadwood.

The comedy mum narrative is fun, but an over simplification... It's about contracts and his role at the club. i.e. Another player - as per your outlook - who can't nail down a spot in a "farmer" league.

Applying some kind of hoodoo to a club in the way you were seems silly.

Back
Top Bottom