Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We could bring through loads and make a healthy profit and be Everton / Leicester levels - we do not want to be at those levels.
Why do we have to be those levels? Why couldn't we over perform as we do now? We didn't get this to level by doing a Man city or a Chelsea.

Ajax / Gent etc this is their goal to develop and sell (while competing in an easy league) - they have less pressure and can take more risks to develop these types of players. We could follow this model without the expectation of CL but that's not where we are / who we are competing with. If we reset sold all our jewels and go again no doubt we will have a lot of decent players, but we would likely to become a real selling club as we would not make CL.

Majority of Barca youth players have to leave Barca to progress, they are not a conveyer belt and again have less competition.
Right now our total turnover is much closer to Everton than Mancity Liverpool Manu Woolwich or Chelsea - ,so by being in champions League in front of two or more of these for several seasons shows we are exceeding expectations as we should only be in Europe League based on finances. Reason we are in champions League is by getting the likes of Kane and Winks (and others such as Townsend mason and others we have sold for £100m or so) from our youth plus buying some players well (eg Dele Eriksson). By summer 2020 we will have earned a full seasons revenue at nwhl which will take our revenues to match the bottom of Man city Manu Woolwich Chelsea and Liverpool. But that still means we need to exceed expectations to do better than those other 5 teams - and the only way to do that is continue to get a few players through the academy ( hello Skipp) and buy well - we will not be able to outbid other big clubs for players. So I cannot see major changes to the way we operate except we may buy one or two better players - but that will be the exception and not the rule. and we hope to get champions League football ahead of our rivals but that cannot be guaranteed for ever. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for some !

Right now our total turnover is much closer to Everton than Mancity Liverpool Manu Woolwich or Chelsea - ,so by being in champions League in front of two or more of these for several seasons shows we are exceeding expectations as we should only be in Europe League based on finances. Reason we are in champions League is by getting the likes of Kane and Winks (and others such as Townsend mason and others we have sold for £100m or so) from our youth plus buying some players well (eg Dele Eriksson). By summer 2020 we will have earned a full seasons revenue at nwhl which will take our revenues to match the bottom of Man city Manu Woolwich Chelsea and Liverpool. But that still means we need to exceed expectations to do better than those other 5 teams - and the only way to do that is continue to get a few players through the academy ( hello Skipp) and buy well - we will not be able to outbid other big clubs for players. So I cannot see major changes to the way we operate except we may buy one or two better players - but that will be the exception and not the rule.
I don't disagree with your reasoning but we brought those players through when we were not in the CL. To give players opportunity and qualify for the CL is more difficult. If we don't make the CL next year "we will have earned a full seasons revenue at nwhl which will take our revenues to match the bottom of Man city Manu Woolwich Chelsea and Liverpool" minus the revnus of the CL.

I don't know the answers but understand the problems, going forwards if we continue in the CL it will be harder to bring players through meaning if we can we will need to have more "certainties" than "punts". If we cant do this then hope Poch continues with his magic as we will need to keep punching above our weight.

I don't disagree with your reasoning but we brought those players through when we were not in the CL. To give players opportunity and qualify for the CL is more difficult. If we don't make the CL next year "we will have earned a full seasons revenue at nwhl which will take our revenues to match the bottom of Man city Manu Woolwich Chelsea and Liverpool" minus the revnus of the CL.

I don't know the answers but understand the problems, going forwards if we continue in the CL it will be harder to bring players through meaning if we can we will need to have more "certainties" than "punts". If we cant do this then hope Poch continues with his magic as we will need to keep punching above our weight.
I think the answer to bringing youth through is "be brave and trust them" . Reality is that even Pepe at Mancity is playing youth and so is Mancity and even Chelsea are playing a couple of youth. So it's agreed it's difficult and requires organisation and persistence ( and even some loans ) but I do not think it is impossible as our pl rivals are doing it

Why do we have to be those levels? Why couldn't we over perform as we do now? We didn't get this to level by doing a Man city or a Chelsea.

As previously suggested, one almost has to accept/embrace the fact that they'll be a stepping stone to the high-paying 'elite' / selling club in order to bag said elite youngsters to begin with... Hense ref to those teams mentioned (Also see BVB/Monaco). It's the pathway to even bigger things that facilitates the initial signing.

Having previously been that club (eg see Eriksen, Modric, Jan, Hugo) we now occupy a higher bracket, which is a little closer to 'the top' teams to begin with. Thus we occupy somewhat of a no-mans land in this scenario where a player may fear getting 'stuck' here if they're backing themselves for genuine WC status (TA & CE arguably)... There's more pressure to perform to a higher level in the interim too (Hense my comment about EL earlier.... Without it, players like GKN, KWP and even slow settlers like Serge & Lucas are pretty fucked for credible game-time cos we can no longer afford players to find their feet 'on the job').

To me it's a no brainer for the likes of Maddison, Lookman, Brooks etc. to choose where they did over Spurs if they genuinely believe they can be winners and arent about a quick buck.

I guess the elephant in the room is the notion that more of the same (see current policy) can only take us so far.

Depending on how much faith one has about the stadium being a difference maker, one might actually wanna get used to the 4-way battle for 3rd - 6th unless we strike gold with a few more Kane's/Deli's.

(Personally never bought the idea that the extra stadium revenue alone would propell us to the EPL title.... More that it was necessary to allow us to continue to be part of the current pack (Top 6) rather than be the best of the rest fending off the like of Everton or Villa in years past.)

I think things will level out in time with Arse & Chav spending power settling down to where ours is as they adjust to less than regular CL qualification... Big question is whether Liverpool will continue to spend their way into the top 3 or if the purse strings are tightened once again.

The fact that our plans are still on track despite the sequential curveball of:

- Chav doping
- City doping
- Leicester fairytale
- PSG (amongst a few others) fucking up the trf market
- Everton mass spend up (also see rest of PL splashing around their boosted TV money whilst ours is plowed into NWHL)
- ...And now the threat of Wolves

....I genuinely believe should be lauded (not impatiently or entitled-ly picked apart through envy of others). However, as many question marks as ever remain about our future on the pitch..

What the 'new' Spurs means within the context of the broader trf market is anyone's guess atm.

Last edited:
We bought Moura but yeah I don't really see us doing much if any business this summer if any.

Is anything other than mere despondency telling you that?

I'm not expecting Messi x 5 but no business at all?

I'd eat my hat.

I think the answer to bringing youth through is "be brave and trust them" . Reality is that even Pepe at Mancity is playing youth and so is Mancity and even Chelsea are playing a couple of youth. So it's agreed it's difficult and requires organisation and persistence ( and even some loans ) but I do not think it is impossible as our pl rivals are doing it
They are doing it while spending £100Ms as well, (Chelsea & City have not brought anyone through yet). Its not impossible to do it but it helps if you can refresh the squad with quality while doing it.

I'd eat my hat.
Two windows without buying anybody, if Poch is looking at players like Zaha or Martial, which I think he is, then I don't expect any business.

As previously suggested, one almost has to accept/embrace the fact that they'll be a stepping stone to the high-paying 'elite' / selling club in order to bag said elite youngsters to begin with... Hense ref to those teams mentioned (Also see BVB/Monaco). It's the pathway to even bigger things that facilitates the initial signing.

Having previously been that club (eg see Eriksen, Modric, Jan, Hugo) we now occupy a higher bracket, which is a little closer to 'the top' teams to begin with. Thus we occupy somewhat of a no-mans land in this scenario where a player may fear getting 'stuck' here if they're backing themselves for genuine WC status (TA & CE arguably)... There's more pressure to perform to a higher level in the interim too (Hense my comment about EL earlier.... Without it, players like GKN, KWP and even slow settlers like Serge & Lucas are pretty fucked for credible game-time cos we can no longer afford players to find their feet 'on the job').

To me it's a no brainer for the likes of Maddison, Lookman, Brooks etc. to choose where they did over Spurs if they genuinely believe they can be winners and arent about a quick buck.

I guess the elephant in the room is the notion that more of the same (see current policy) can only take us so far.

Depending on how much faith one has about the stadium being a difference maker, one might actually wanna get used to the 4-way battle for 3rd - 6th unless we strike gold with a few more Kane's/Deli's.

(Personally never bought the idea that the extra stadium revenue alone would propell us to the EPL title.... More that it was necessary to allow us to continue to be part of the current pack (Top 6) rather than be the best of the rest fending off the like of Everton or Villa in years past.)

I think things will level out in time with Arse & Chav spending power settling down to where ours is as they adjust to less than regular CL qualification... Big question is whether Liverpool will continue to spend their way into the top 3 or if the purse strings are tightened once again.

The fact that our plans are still on track despite the sequential curveball of:

- Chav doping
- City doping
- Leicester fairytale
- PSG (amongst a few others) fucking up the trf market
- Everton mass spend up (also see rest of PL splashing around their boosted TV money whilst ours is plowed into NWHL)
- ...And now the threat of Wolves

....I genuinely believe should be lauded (not impatiently or entitled picked apart through envy of others). However, as many question marks as ever remain about our future on the pitch..

What the 'new' Spurs means within the context of the broader trf market is anyone's guess atm.
Loved this post, but it left me with sadness. Basically we are still in no mans land and probably and have no way to gauge what sort of improvements we will see as far as spending goes.

Its almost as if this talented crop of players came at the wrong time for us as it's clear to me now more than ever that we need to spend serious money to supplement what we already have, even if it's just to solidfy us as a top 4 team for years to come.

We got to this level by bringing players through - we were below the top 4 while introducing them. We could continue to do it the way we are but it is now harder as we are doing it while still competing with the top clubs. I hope we can continue, I love Winks - I still love Dier.

Right now we need a new RB, we can bring in KWP and give him the year or so it takes to progress to a decent player (*maybe progress, could fail), trust the internationals we have who are probably better now but we want to improve on or try to upgrade on all three with a new addition. The first option makes it harder to qualify to the CL this year but may mean we have a far superior player in the next, its a gamble and one that makes giving a new player a chance harder than it was previously.

All this is not in isolation, if we fail to make the CL there is more pressure on our better players to leave putting us back a step meaning more pressure to get current success, less punts.

Loved this post, but it left me with sadness. Basically we are still in no mans land and probably and have no way to gauge what sort of improvements we will see as far as spending goes.

Its almost as if this talented crop of players came at the wrong time for us as it's clear to me now more than ever that we need to spend serious money to supplement what we already have, even if it's just to solidfy us as a top 4 team for years to come.

An underlying fear of mine since 'Leicester'.

Two windows without buying anybody, if Poch is looking at players like Zaha or Martial, which I think he is, then I don't expect any business.

I think certain needs are too pressing to gamble on (like we have in the last 2 windows). Similarly one would expect a number to leave.

I fully expect bodies (Who? I'll leave that debate to those that can be arsed.).

We got to this level by bringing players through - we were below the top 4 while introducing them. We could continue to do it the way we are but it is now harder as we are doing it while still competing with the top clubs. I hope we can continue, I love Winks - I still love Dier.

Right now we need a new RB, we can bring in KWP and give him the year or so it takes to progress to a decent player (*maybe progress, could fail), trust the internationals we have who are probably better now but we want to improve on or try to upgrade on all three with a new addition. The first option makes it harder to qualify to the CL this year but may mean we have a far superior player in the next, its a gamble and one that makes giving a new player a chance harder than it was previously.

All this is not in isolation, if we fail to make the CL there is more pressure on our better players to leave putting us back a step meaning more pressure to get current success, less punts.

Ref RB: At least 1 must go.

Current situ isn't helping Serge nor KWP.

Ideal scenario (assuming Poch sees KWP as the future):

1st choice (be that KT, SA or a new guy) + KWP.

If not then:

1st choice + another (which in theory could mean 3 out/2 in if none are deemed to make the grade).

I'll be extremely disappointed to see us do nothing on this front and trundle on in the same fashion next year.

Ref RB: At least 1 must go.

Current situ isn't helping Serge nor KWP.

Ideal scenario (assuming Poch sees KWP as the future):

1st choice (be that KT, SA or a new guy) + KWP.

If not then:

1st choice + another (which in theory could mean 3 out/2 in if none are deemed to make the grade).

I'll be extremely disappointed to see us do nothing on this front and trundle on in the same fashion next year.
I was not commenting on what we should do but using it as a point of how it is more difficult to bring through the youth. If we were not "needing" CL its a lot easier to give KWP a run as a key player and see if he has the potential, now its harder.

* I think all 3 out and two in is the way forwards personally,

I'd eat my hat.
I agree with all that except the bet.
Fyi there is a poster who said "he'd eat his underpants if Kane ever did better than bing a championship striker' .
Needless to say he was reminded....and stopped posting much for a year or more after Kane overtook adebayor and Soldado as starter for Spurs ,!

Back
Top Bottom