Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I still believe that we should look at Ligue 1 to strengthen the squad. Lots of quality players there, especially at some of the positions we have problems the most like Central midfield and fullbacks. We could really use someone like Ndombele etc... Our philosophy should be taking the best players out of top 4 teams, not taking the unwanted players from the top-top teams.

Robben, Van der Vaart, Sneijder, De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Yaya Toure all went onto bigger things after being deemed not good enough for their respective leagues top 4 teams. People also forget that Alisson was backup to Szczesny the season before he made his move to Liverpool.

To say our philosophy should be to sign the best players from our rivals when all of our domestic rivals are far wealthier than us is barmy. There's plenty of players who are unwanted at big clubs who have a point to prove & could do a great job for a team like ours. In 5-10 years financially we might be able to do what you're suggesting but at the moment it simply isn't a goer pal

our scouts are terrible, i remember reading soo many comments on here about signing alderweireld, davies, dier, dele, son, sánchez, sissoko, janssen, llorente, foyth, e.t.c.. from our resident scouting network of online football experts hahahahaha

Robben, Van der Vaart, Sneijder, De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Yaya Toure all went onto bigger things after being deemed not good enough for their respective leagues top 4 teams. People also forget that Alisson was backup to Szczesny the season before he made his move to Liverpool.

To say our philosophy should be to sign the best players from our rivals when all of our domestic rivals are far wealthier than us is barmy. There's plenty of players who are unwanted at big clubs who have a point to prove & could do a great job for a team like ours. In 5-10 years financially we might be able to do what you're suggesting but at the moment it simply isn't a goer pal
Of course there are exceptions like Van der Vaart, Ben Arfa and Robben, but, given our recent transfer history, we've had much more success with the purchases of the likes of Hugo Lloris, Son, Eriksen etc. than the likes of Aurier and Lucas (I don't hate either of them, in fact I would love if Lucas turned it around and became crucial for us). Can it backfire? Absolutely, Erik Lamela and Vincent Janssen are living examples of that, but I think it's a much lower risk for the same reward... This period is absolutely crucial and if we get it right, we go to the next step "the right way", but if we get it wrong, we fall to the mid-table mediocrity of Everton etc...

Jesus Christ, Imagine a midfield of Sissoko and Renato Sanches.

giphy.gif
That’s how you get 30% ball possession

Of course there are exceptions like Van der Vaart, Ben Arfa and Robben, but, given our recent transfer history, we've had much more success with the purchases of the likes of Hugo Lloris, Son, Eriksen etc. than the likes of Aurier and Lucas (I don't hate either of them, in fact I would love if Lucas turned it around and became crucial for us). Can it backfire? Absolutely, Erik Lamela and Vincent Janssen are living examples of that, but I think it's a much lower risk for the same reward... This period is absolutely crucial and if we get it right, we go to the next step "the right way", but if we get it wrong, we fall to the mid-table mediocrity of Everton etc...

If we are picking teams to poach the best players from, I'd say our scouts are better off looking towards the likes of PSV Eindhoven, FC Twente, Willem ll, Hoffenheim etc for any youth jewels. By the time they get to the likes of Ajax, Lyon & Benfica now they are already touted as £50m players.

Personally, I'd like to see our club invest in a wider scouting network. No reason why teams like Barcelona, Ajax, Gent etc get youth players continuously developing via their academies and we can't. Ndombele has had 1 1/2 decent seasons yet their owner wants a rumoured £70m, which would make him the 15th most expensive player of all time. Too risky, not worth it.

Agreed we should definitely be going for the best players at so called lesser clubs than ours, but even those teams are demanding silly money. Rumours of Fulham wanting £50m for Sessegnon? Have a word it simply isn't worth the risk. We should invest far more in our scouting system across Europe.

Joao Felix at Benfica has played 20 odd first team games and rumours are flying around that they want £80m-£100m for him. If that's how much it costs to sign so called lesser clubs best players there's no chance we can go down that route.

Wouldn't Uwe Weghorst from VfL Wolfsburg be the perfect replacment for llorente? I don't know a better player in the air and he's pretty clinical in front of goal too.

Seen us linked with this guy tonight. Anyone know much about him? Seems pretty promising.

No but I'm pretty certain we won't buy him, we haven't bought anyone for two windows. I don't think Poch is after 'promising' players I think he's after a finished product that will improve us.

No but I'm pretty certain we won't buy him, we haven't bought anyone for two windows. I don't think Poch is after 'promising' players I think he's after a finished product that will improve us.
But we can't and don't buy finished products so what do we do then it seems we are at a crossroads.

Personally, I'd like to see our club invest in a wider scouting network. No reason why teams like Barcelona, Ajax, Gent etc get youth players continuously developing via their academies and we can't. Ndombele has had 1 1/2 decent seasons yet their owner wants a rumoured £70m, which would make him the 15th most expensive player of all time. Too risky, not worth it.

Ajax / Gent etc this is their goal to develop and sell (while competing in an easy league) - they have less pressure and can take more risks to develop these types of players. We could follow this model without the expectation of CL but that's not where we are / who we are competing with. If we reset sold all our jewels and go again no doubt we will have a lot of decent players, but we would likely to become a real selling club as we would not make CL.

Majority of Barca youth players have to leave Barca to progress, they are not a conveyer belt and again have less competition.

Ajax / Gent etc this is their goal to develop and sell (while competing in an easy league) - they have less pressure and can take more risks to develop these types of players. We could follow this model without the expectation of CL but that's not where we are / who we are competing with. If we reset sold all our jewels and go again no doubt we will have a lot of decent players, but we would likely to become a real selling club as we would not make CL.

Majority of Barca youth players have to leave Barca to progress, they are not a conveyer belt and again have less competition.
That's the real problem, the expectation of champions league.

Back
Top Bottom