Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

18, talented & mouldable. Can play a variety of positions and is yet to reach his physical peak. I know a few ain't sure but if the fee is decent he's well worth a punt. The way he gets his angles right when running past players is enough for me to want to see Spurs develop him.

Not sexy names but I'd love Sessegnon, Grealish etc through the door this summer, both are well worth a punt if the dollar is good

Yep agreed but alongside 2 or 3 others of proven quality at this level.

Whoever we get has to hit the ground running.

Getting top 4 would add appeal but failure to secure it should not detract our need to solidify a deleted squad.

yet, PSV is doint bits in the league.
They are equal on points now I believe. But PSV have dominated the league for the past 4 years whilst Ajax have built this current side. Usually how it works for them. Ajax builds a strong team, they win a few titles, sell off the best players and start over. PSV and Feyenoord pick up titles in between.

They are equal on points now I believe. But PSV have dominated the league for the past 4 years whilst Ajax have built this current side. Usually how it works for them. Ajax builds a strong team, they win a few titles, sell off the best players and start over. PSV and Feyenoord pick up titles in between.
Not only that but as we found out...PSV are actually a very, very good side who gave us plenty of trouble, put us through the CL group by drawing away to Inter and have many top class players of their own. They were 8 points clear of Ajax about 6 weeks ago with a game more played and in the must win game between the two in Amsterdam, Ajax rattled them.

Not only that but as we found out...PSV are actually a very, very good side who gave us plenty of trouble, put us through the CL group by drawing away to Inter and have many top class players of their own. They were 8 points clear of Ajax about 6 weeks ago with a game more played and in the must win game between the two in Amsterdam, Ajax rattled them.
The three top teams in Holland are stacked with good players. There's a dip then down to the likes of Willem, Vitesse, Herenveen and such but it is known as a talent factory for a reason.

There's a lot we could learn from Ajax when it comes to talent development. But it would obviously have to be adapted to the expectations and pressures of the Premier League.

And take the manager? He is a big part of how they perform
The Key is they are led by a freak of nature in De Ligt. They have youth, energy, skill and balls like Space hoppers.

It is actually gutting to think that team will be broken up, but here's a hint to our managerial staff. The fucking second they discover the next De Ligt, no bullshit "monitoring" to "wait and see". Sign him up.

The three top teams in Holland are stacked with good players. There's a dip then down to the likes of Willem, Vitesse, Herenveen and such but it is known as a talent factory for a reason.

There's a lot we could learn from Ajax when it comes to talent development. But it would obviously have to be adapted to the expectations and pressures of the Premier League.
This is the thing. I'm not talking about 6 or 7 young talents all brought in at the same time. When we signed Davinson I said we probably had signed the wrong CB and we should have signed De Ligt. At 17 he was physically mature and showed leadership. That was our chance to get him and then it would have put Toby's situation firmly in our control. Your replacement is here, sign up or go.

We need to take chances on youth, be it from Holland, France, England or Kuwait. It doesn't matter. If we won't pay the big bucks, then we need to spot it earlier and nuture it correctly.

This is the thing. I'm not talking about 6 or 7 young talents all brought in at the same time. When we signed Davinson I said we probably had signed the wrong CB and we should have signed De Ligt. At 17 he was physically mature and showed leadership. That was our chance to get him and then it would have put Toby's situation firmly in our control. Your replacement is here, sign up or go.

We need to take chances on youth, be it from Holland, France, England or Kuwait. It doesn't matter. If we won't pay the big bucks, then we need to spot it earlier and nuture it correctly.
And young talent are also usually easier to shift out if they end up not working out.

Our scouting network over all could probably use some work. At the moment it feels like neither Levy or Poch knows what the fuck we are after.

And young talent are also usually easier to shift out if they end up not working out.

Our scouting network over all could probably use some work. At the moment it feels like neither Levy or Poch knows what the fuck we are after.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. We're lacking an identity other than "We'd like to win the big two". To do that you either need a pinpoint coaching plan that works or spend a fortune to bring the big name players in that have proven their worth. Do we do an Ajax, young, mobile, fearless or a Citeh spend, spend, spend until you get it right.

First thing we need to do is find a way of winning away from home against our top 6 rivals.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. We're lacking an identity other than "We'd like to win the big two". To do that you either need a pinpoint coaching plan that works or spend a fortune to bring the big name players in that have proven their worth. Do we do an Ajax, young, mobile, fearless or a Citeh spend, spend, spend until you get it right.

First thing we need to do is find a way of winning away from home against our top 6 rivals.
I think moving forward we need to have a combined game plan when it comes to recruitment. I don't think we are at the point where we can go balls to the wall City style, but there will always be players like Lucas who end up on the side at the bigger clubs for various reasons but who are still quality. Those we should be able to target and give a new lease on life.

That combined with signing promising players from abroad/youth could solidify us up there until we are ready to take the final step.

Real life isn't Football Manager. Why would Ajax sell so early? Why would a player like De Ligt leave at 17 when he is starting matches and developing well at Ajax? It just doesn't work like that. These clubs and players have long term career plans and know their talent. Ajax is also already rich.

Last edited:
Real life isn't Football Manager. Why would Ajax sell so early? Why would a played like De Ligt leave at 17 when he is starting match and developing well at Ajax? It just doesn't work like that. These clubs and players have long term career plans and know their talent. Ajax is also already rich.

I know what you are saying but they did sell Sanchez after only having him for one season. Ajax are a selling club, they don't hang onto their top players very long.

We were after Deligt at the same time as Sanchez. Barcelona were heavily linked with Sanchez at the time too. However most people who watched Ajax that season could see what a talent Deligt was even though he made his debut well after the season had started and was only 17 years old.

Hard to believe he is still only 19 years old. Whoever signs him this summer will be very very lucky.

I know what you are saying but they did sell Sanchez after only having him for one season. Ajax are a selling club, they don't hang onto their top players very long.

We were after Deligt at the same time as Sanchez. Barcelona were heavily linked with Sanchez at the time too. However most people who watched Ajax that season could see what a talent Deligt was even though he made his debut well after the season had started and was only 17 years old.

Hard to believe he is still only 19 years old. Whoever signs him this summer will be very very lucky.
Difference being that De Ligt came out of their academy and is their talisman similarly to how Kane is to us. And with him only being 17 at the time they were in no rush to move him on despite the hype.

After looking at the ranking:

What a sad world we live in if West Ham are "worth" more than AC Milan and Inter :pochfacepalm:
It's all really down to language. English is the most globally common language. Particularly in highly developed and commercializeable nations. Not saying the PL hasn't earned its place, but a massive amount of its value basically came by default.

Italian football has lost its place due to the trident of uncommon language (making developing a connection to the league and its content more difficult), slow pace of play producing a less attractive variant of the sport, and utter corruption at the core of the league turning people off. Toss in that Juve has basically made it a 1 club league since the Milan clubs went bankrupt, and it just doesn't offer much anymore.

Back
Top Bottom