Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dare say every other premier league club would. Probably every other club in Europe tbf. But not Spurs. I see
The point is that he hasn't abandoned any other club after saying that he thought it was" important that the squad sticks together and we all have the same goals here" while handing in a transfer request.

It's the old ex comparison.

Oh she's so fit she can treat me how she wants. Fuck Bale, go to Utd and live the dream.

Tottenham are in a better place for his sale. It took a while, but we have finally benefitted from the money we made when all the "big boys" were crying to leave.

Yes he's won stuff at Madrid. Shame for him the satisfaction won't even scratch the surface of what Kane and Dele will feel when we lift the title some day soon.

Last edited:
The point is that he hasn't abandoned every any other club after saying that he thought it was" important that the squad sticks together and we all have the same goals here" while handing in a transfer request.

It's the old ex comparison.

Oh she's so fit she can treat me how she wants. Fuck Bale, go to Utd and live the dream.

Tottenham are in a better place for his sale. It took a while, but we have finally benefitted from the money we made when all the "big boys" were crying to leave.

Yes he's won stuff at Madrid. Shame for him the satisfaction won't even scratch the surface of what Kane and Dele will feel when we lift the title some day soon.

He'll be just the next Steve McManaman soon, just some bloke who no one really knows which club he belongs to. The Madridistas like Steve though, because be wasn't a luxury player, learnt good Spanish and knuckled down for them.

Who will have affection for Bale? Probably only the welshies. The Madrid fans are usually fed up of him for being injured all the time and for not being better that Ronnie despite costing more. He'll end up in the PL for Moaninho or Pep and in some way he'll piss off spurs fans who still retain affection for him.

I dare say every other premier league club would. Probably every other club in Europe tbf. But not Spurs. I see

Reasons to not want him:

1. He left us, rather than built with us. Not only that but he went to the most glory-hunting cunt of a club in the world.

2. His injury record. He gets injuries quite a lot.

2016/17
4 injuries
119 days out injured (And counting)
That's 4 months of this season he hasn't played.

2015/16
3 injuries
73 days out injured
That's 2 and a half months gone.

3. Probably wouldn't press. He's use to being the show pony of teams, not having to defend. I can't see him breaking his balls to press a goal keeper in the 89th minute, unlike Kane or Alli. And with his injury record I have to wonder whether it would be wise for him to either.

4. Mentality. Would his mentality fit well with the squad? I don't think it would and I can't imagine the likes of Lloris, Verts and old-hands who stayed looking at him with much respect.

5. Wages. He'd want 150k a week most likely. That ain't happening.

6. He's not worth the money.

He'd probably cost £80+ mil. For a start that isn't happening, that's like 1/4th of our stadium. But beyond that his stats aren't incredible and he's not really pushed on and developed since he played for us.

2016/17
26 apps
9 goals
5 assists

World class? Not really. They're decent stats but i'd be expecting more for £80 mil. He hasn't developed much since leaving us.

2015/16
31 apps
19 goals
15 assists

These are pretty good stats. Until you realise he plays in an inferior league and most of his goals come in singular games.

2 against Real Beit
4 against Rayo
3 against Coruna
2 against Rayo

That's 11 goals/19 that have come in 4 games. So 8 goals and 13 assists in his other 27 appearances. Again, these stats aren't bad but they're not worth £80m+.

As for his Champions League quality? 2 CL goals in 3 years.

There is more that goes into a transfer other than "LUL HE RUNS FAST, HE'S A GOOD PLAYER".

The posters worried about losing lots of players are melters. Poch has said we will only sell those players we want to. The players are more together than any other group. Yes we have sold players in the past that we did not want to but only 1 at time except Beba/Keane but I cannot see that being repeated. Levy needs Poch as it is him that has kept the team doing well without major expense. I think we should have kept Chadli last season and believe he was better than Sissoko. I do not want to lose Walker and believe his sale would weaken the squad with no guarantee that the money raised will be well spent.
Yes we may lose a player we do not want to but so might Chelsea and Woolwich. The match day income will be higher next season if all the extra season ticket sales are sold and this can be invested in wages and transfer fees. We know we cannot compete with the rich clubs but we are stronger than in the past and whilst the transfer window is always a worry, we should not panic as the players are on long term contracts, have CL football to look forward to and seem happy in training with the Manager and players.

And 7. What message would that give to Spurs youngsters? Do well then fuck off to Madrid?

No way Poch would send out that message to the youth.

Bale is world class and I'd have him back in a heartbeat...^ top rant mind

It's not a rant when there's no emotional vocabulary and quite a lot of statistics.

If he was world class we wouldn't be talking about Real Madrid selling him.

Bayern, Barca, United or some other money fueled club would snatch him. Yet everything seems quite on that end. Wonder why...

Reasons to not want him:

1. He left us, rather than built with us. Not only that but he went to the most glory-hunting cunt of a club in the world.

2. His injury record. He gets injuries quite a lot.

2016/17
4 injuries
119 days out injured (And counting)
That's 4 months of this season he hasn't played.

2015/16
3 injuries
73 days out injured
That's 2 and a half months gone.

3. Probably wouldn't press. He's use to being the show pony of teams, not having to defend. I can't see him breaking his balls to press a goal keeper in the 89th minute, unlike Kane or Alli. And with his injury record I have to wonder whether it would be wise for him to either.

4. Mentality. Would his mentality fit well with the squad? I don't think it would and I can't imagine the likes of Lloris, Verts and old-hands who stayed looking at him with much respect.

5. Wages. He'd want 150k a week most likely. That ain't happening.

6. He's not worth the money.

He'd probably cost £80+ mil. For a start that isn't happening, that's like 1/4th of our stadium. But beyond that his stats aren't incredible and he's not really pushed on and developed since he played for us.

2016/17
26 apps
9 goals
5 assists

World class? Not really. They're decent stats but i'd be expecting more for £80 mil. He hasn't developed much since leaving us.

2015/16
31 apps
19 goals
15 assists

These are pretty good stats. Until you realise he plays in an inferior league and most of his goals come in singular games.

2 against Real Beit
4 against Rayo
3 against Coruna
2 against Rayo

That's 11 goals/19 that have come in 4 games. So 8 goals and 13 assists in his other 27 appearances. Again, these stats aren't bad but they're not worth £80m+.

As for his Champions League quality? 2 CL goals in 3 years.

There is more that goes into a transfer other than "LUL HE RUNS FAST, HE'S A GOOD PLAYER".

£150k a week? And the rest!! I'm sure he's on twice that at Real.

People just get all romantic over Bale, but we're past that - it's like lusting over the times when players thought we were a stepping stone, and is comparable to how West Ham fans were over Payet last season "please don't leave us, we love you" etc.

£150k a week? And the rest!! I'm sure he's on twice that at Real.

People just get all romantic over Bale, but we're past that - it's like lusting over the times when players thought we were a stepping stone, and is comparable to how West Ham fans were over Payet last season "please don't leave us, we love you" etc.

Ahh, yeah. After googling it he's apparently on 300k a week.

Is there any numpty in here who thinks spending 300k+ a week on Bale is a good idea?

numpty? we'd never pay a player that, so no use in entertaining your "argument".
We'd all love to have Bale back... he was a joy to watch.

The posters worried about losing lots of players are melters. Poch has said we will only sell those players we want to. The players are more together than any other group. Yes we have sold players in the past that we did not want to but only 1 at time except Beba/Keane but I cannot see that being repeated. Levy needs Poch as it is him that has kept the team doing well without major expense. I think we should have kept Chadli last season and believe he was better than Sissoko. I do not want to lose Walker and believe his sale would weaken the squad with no guarantee that the money raised will be well spent.
Yes we may lose a player we do not want to but so might Chelsea and Woolwich. The match day income will be higher next season if all the extra season ticket sales are sold and this can be invested in wages and transfer fees. We know we cannot compete with the rich clubs but we are stronger than in the past and whilst the transfer window is always a worry, we should not panic as the players are on long term contracts, have CL football to look forward to and seem happy in training with the Manager and players.
Not so much of a melt really though is it?
It's a point of discussion on a forum.
You say that we will only sell the players Poch wants to sell, but then mention Chadli. I'm pretty sure that Poch publicly said he wanted to keep him, but the player wanted first team football & we had to respect that.
Nobody melted then, & nobody will melt if we sell a player who wants to go for more first team opportunities. Quite what some players expect in the modern era, when it is all about the squad effort & rotation, is perhaps another topic of debate. But if Walker (for example) is frustrated by being overtaken in the pecking order then it's feasible Poch will allow him to leave in the same way he allowed Chadli to leave. I'm not saying I agree with that, or it would be good for the club (I rate Walker above Trippier & think he would be very difficult to replace) but it does merit discussion.
BTW- the melt comments aside, I do agree with your post as a whole.

Bale won some titles at Real, but he has completely been ruined as a player.

He was athletic when he was playing for us, just like Kane and Dele are right now. In Madrid, he was turned into a player purely relying on power and playing him on the wrong side of the pitch. That aside, he earns 250k a week in Madrid. I see him coming back to the PL, either City or United.

To put things into perspective, Kane, Dele and Son score more frequently than Bale.

Lacazette has stated he will only join a team that plays CL football next season... worth a punt on?

Also, we've been linked with Josh King today. He's had a very good season.

As badly as the prophecy of spending a billion and coming 5th?
Pep will be gone soon how's that for prophetical.....many knew he wouldn't cut it here.

I see you have tried to align yourself as Spurs because of "modern football"

No thanks, don't need johnny come latelys at this club. Anyone with half an ounce of integrity would go lower leagues, and local in your shoes

I'm not claiming to be a Spurs fan; I'm a neutral who's got a soft spot for proper clubs and an advocate of Anglo-opportunity. I've also spent the last 4 years preaching about how Pocchettino is the best, most principally sound manager in the league, even when he was at Saints and you lot were mediocre.

I'm here to enlighten with the insight I'm granted via work and other contacts. Take it or leave it, but it will come to fruition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom