Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
They said that about Modric and Bale, but selling them has perhaps been to our great benefit, long term.

There's nothing glorious about having "star" players who don't really want to play for you, and it sets a bad example to the team. You can see the kind of rot it quickly sets in with other teams, especially woolwich or chelsea.

If a player wanted to leave, I'd say "Ok, no problem, here's the price" like we did with Bale. What we've seen this season is that we can cope just fine with near enough every one of our top players out of the squad (when injured).

Vorm covered Lloris without drama, Dier covered Alderweireld, Davies has covered Rose, Trips has covered Walker, Winks for a number of players, Son for Kane etc. etc.

We don't need to panic in the same way we did when we had 10 shit players with Bale single-handedly winning games. I have faith that our form (individually and as a team) is to do with more than just an individual player's ability.

Exactly, Saints have proved you get the same quality time and time and time again.

Problem with the Bale money is we never had money like that before and had an average manager in AVB and a chairman in Levy who clearly didn't trust AVB. So our purchases where scatter gun not with a central objective.

With Poch if we get £150 million for say Dele (again I want to keep him) I reckon we would get 4 star players who would improve the squad and if anything we get even stronger.

Long as we keep Poch and Levy ties down our players to long term deals so we can rape teams for transfer fees we will not go without.

Finally most of our players even Kane and Dele have Poch to thank for what they are, nearly every player who leaves Poch gets worse in many cases far worse, Shaw, Schniederlin, Lallana, Waynama, Lovern, Clyne and so on.

We lose a big star and buy Lemar, Timo Werner etc and they will become the new Kane or Dele under Poch's coaching.

They said that about Modric and Bale, but selling them has perhaps been to our great benefit, long term.

There's nothing glorious about having "star" players who don't really want to play for you, and it sets a bad example to the team. You can see the kind of rot it quickly sets in with other teams, especially woolwich or chelsea.

If a player wanted to leave, I'd say "Ok, no problem, here's the price" like we did with Bale. What we've seen this season is that we can cope just fine with near enough every one of our top players out of the squad (when injured).

Vorm covered Lloris without drama, Dier covered Alderweireld, Davies has covered Rose, Trips has covered Walker, Winks for a number of players, Son for Kane etc. etc.

We don't need to panic in the same way we did when we had 10 shit players with Bale single-handedly winning games. I have faith that our form (individually and as a team) is to do with more than just an individual player's ability.
I'm talking about losing 3,4,5 players in one go. Like I say, can't see it happening, but the original point was that it may be done to fund the stadium.
And I'd rather go & watch non league if it got to that stage.

With Poch if we get £150 million for say Dele (again I want to keep him) I reckon we would get 4 star players who would improve the squad and if anything we get even stronger.

Poch hasn't shown he's particularly astute in the transfer market, and this sounds a bit like Bale all over again.

I'm talking about losing 3,4,5 players in one go. Like I say, can't see it happening, but the original point was that it may be done to fund the stadium.
And I'd rather go & watch non league if it got to that stage.

Agree with that, I have accepted net spend zero but net spend minus £200 million is not acceptable.

If we lose Walker and then buy 2-3 good players off the back of it fair enough, if Walker's fee just pays for the stadium I will be pissed off.

Remember we have vast amounts of cash coming in for our Champions League qualification, the £100 million per year TV deal, the stadium sponsorship, the flats we are selling, NFL etc. Most of this cannot have been predicted when we originally looked at funding a new stadium, the champions league money is a bonus above for a start unless Levy assumed we would qualify each year which if that's the case he's nuts.

Can't imagine Poch either would be happy us becoming a selling club then not reinvesting.

Poch hasn't shown he's particularly astute in the transfer market, and this sounds a bit like Bale all over again.

We've signed Son, Alderweireld, Trippier, Dele, Wanyama and Davies under Poch just as much as other players, so it's not the easiest judgement to make.

Waynama, Alderwierald, Dele, Trippier ain't bad although sissoko, Nije, Nkouduo may balance against but all our signing bar Sissoko where for relatively low cash amounts.

We do have to remember that Poch is limited by our sales to fund our buys and therefore we have to go cheap so the potential for mishap is greater.

We've signed Son, Alderweireld, Trippier, Dele, Wanyama and Davies under Poch just as much as other players, so it's not the easiest judgement to make.

Waynama, Alderwierald, Dele, Trippier ain't bad although sissoko, Nije, Nkouduo may balance against but all our signing bar Sissoko where for relatively low cash amounts.

We do have to remember that Poch is limited by our sales to fund our buys and therefore we have to go cheap so the potential for mishap is greater.

Ok, fair enough, but it's not a given that we'd improve if we sold him. I guess I'm just uncomfortable with speculating about what might happen if we sold one or more of our best players - I'm not saying it shouldn't be a topic for discussion, but fans of other clubs are saying it's inevitable. I'd like to think it isn't.

Ok, fair enough, but it's not a given that we'd improve if we sold him. I guess I'm just uncomfortable with speculating about what might happen if we sold one or more of our best players - I'm not saying it shouldn't be a topic for discussion, but fans of other clubs are saying it's inevitable. I'd like to think it isn't.

I think fans of other clubs remember the old Tottenham that was reliant on one star player and when that player went we where fucked. They think we sell Walker or Rose even for stupid money and we will crumble, but we are a team and our players are cogs in the wheel who are not irreplaceable.

Kane got injured yet we continued to do well, that would not have happened during AVB and Bale. With Poch any player who doesn't want to be here goes and we replace them, it's about the team, the team spirit and careful development.

We are not one show ponys anymore, other teams can sell our players, but we will buy or develope new ones and become even stronger. I would prefer to keep Walker and our players but no player can hold us ransom anyone.

I think fans of other clubs remember the old Tottenham that was reliant on one star player and when that player went we where fucked. They think we sell Walker or Rose even for stupid money and we will crumble, but we are a team and our players are cogs in the wheel who are not irreplaceable.

Kane got injured yet we continued to do well, that would not have happened during AVB and Bale. With Poch any player who doesn't want to be here goes and we replace them, it's about the team, the team spirit and careful development.

We are not one show ponys anymore, other teams can sell our players, but we will buy or develope new ones and become even stronger. I would prefer to keep Walker and our players but no player can hold us ransom anyone.
Honestly selling one or two of our first team players is not the end of the world but what I am worried about is that other players might want to follow the example and leave and if they don't, they'd get demotivated to play for Spurs.

Only cover for any fringe player outgoings.
People who want Zaha, Barkley and Siggy etc, who do you want out of the first 11?
Do people want this elusive "game changer" to replace Dele or Eriksen?

Competition for places is great of course, but you need to be realistic about who will come here to sit on our bench too

People who want Zaha, Barkley and Siggy etc, who do you want out of the first 11?

Competition for places is great of course, but you need to be realistic about who will come here to sit on our bench too

Zaha caused Chelsea and Liverpool many problems and in the first half we had to put two, three men to shut him out. He has the potential to challenge for a first team place, I guess Son would be his competition.

Barkley would be good cover for Dembele and Dembele is not a player who can play all the time. He would be a good long term challenger.

With Siggy we have both Eriksen and Lamela I don't see the need for a third creative number 10 so Siggy I would be against.

We have such a good team it's hard to upgrade without spending huge amounts of cash. I still think we lack a true X factor player like Sanchez or Hazard but Isco doesn't seem to be happening so who?

great post 100% agree. I love our team, but I trust poch (and that feels great for a change) aside for a complete yard sale( which isn't happening) I think the club will improve off and on the pitch with what ever moves are made.

Honestly selling one or two of our first team players is not the end of the world but what I am worried about is that other players might want to follow the example and leave and if they don't, they'd get demotivated to play for Spurs.

Depends on the reason, if a player doesn't have the heart I don't think it would be too hard but if we lose Kane and he want to stay but Levy just wants money I'd imagine that would be demotivating.

Apparently Poch has to sanction all incoming and outgoings so hopefully it won't be a factor.

It's a massive gamble that we would be able to improve...with a player/players coming in & learning the ropes. Under Poch, I am led to believe that training is "different" & unless a player hands in a transfer request (in which case it's over to the chairman to rinse every penny out of the deal) then there is no need to think twice about selling one or more of our lads. They are all familiar with the training, the set up & with each other. I'm comfortable that we won't be selling anyone that Poch wants to keep. If we do, then there is a risk that Poch will lose faith in the project he has bought heavily into. And that's when the unthinkable becomes a possibility.

So we're for the second consecutive year in the Champions League and people want back-ups? Wtf. I would go and try to get some of the better performers at the moment in Europe, starting to watch a lot of Monaco players for example.

Depends on the reason, if a player doesn't have the heart I don't think it would be too hard but if we lose Kane and he want to stay but Levy just wants money I'd imagine that would be demotivating.

Apparently Poch has to sanction all incoming and outgoings so hopefully it won't be a factor.

I was thinking if the likes of Walker or Rose (I think it's unlikely) or Toby would leave then other players would be like fuck it I think I've done enough to join another club, not necessarily with better teams but who throw more cash than we do.

Last edited:

Has that ever happened, though?

I can't think of a key player we've sold under ENIC that has been sold for the wedge without a fuss and the player clearly wanting out

He signed some shit at Southampton and some shit at Spurs not saying he's bad in the transfer market but I agree with Joe Clash its not his strong suit.

Only a few months until the prophecy is fulfilled. Try not to take it too badly.

How long do you think Fraudiola will take to destroy them ? face it you support a cheque book team nobody really gives a fuck about even your derby feels synthetic, at least the Chavs horrible as they are create some feeling in people as in everyone loves to hate them Man City are very bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom