Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I suggested signing 2 AMs, 2 strikers and a CM (3 of which I said need to first team material, the other two as squad cover) it was shot down as excessive.
So I can only assume that those who think so are happy with the likes of Pritchard, Onamah, Carroll and Alli as matchday squad or first team material. Even Lennon was brought up as a reason not sign more attacking mids.

So. I guess those people.

That was my theory last season when I argued for half a year that we should rotate. It was shot down and the squad was deemed not good enough and thats why the manager was forced to play the same players.
I dont think selling Capoue and Stambouli and trying to sign McCarthy is good business at all.

But we have a manger who we know doesnt play people once he has decided its over, so of course, we have to replace those he sold. However, Id still be happier to sign Berahino or Moses than rely on Carroll or Pritchard should Eriksen or Chadli get injured.

Im all for giving untried youth a chance, but you would have to be an extremely naive manager to think that they will hold down a top 6 PL spot over the course of a season when used in 4 or 5 key positions.

What team does that? These players need to be bedded in in the CC, FA and EL.
I could see Pritchard being a great option off the bench. I would much rather see him sitting there than Moses.

Berahino would be a decent signing, though he would be very expensive as a 21 year old English qualified player. He wouldn't be an alternative to Carroll or Pritchard though, since he plays in a different position. He would be an alternative to Kane. I think everyone who has posted on here wants to see a new striker bought, but a deal like that can only happen if Soldado or Adebayor is sold.

It was only when we turned to "untried youth" in key positions -- Bentaleb, Mason and Kane -- that we started looking like a top 6 side. Before that we looked lower-mid table at best.

The discussion about whether to play the young players or buy more players is silly. If the young players are good enough, Poch will play them. Look at the young players he brought through at Southampton. Spurs don't need to buy lots of players just one or two top top quality players, like another striker and maybe a decent winger. The main focus is to sell off fringe players to open wages and opportunities for young players and new additions.

Sammy, you are the one true master of erroneous conclusions.

When I suggested signing 2 AMs, 2 strikers and a CM (3 of which I said need to first team material, the other two as squad cover) it was shot down as excessive.
So I can only assume that those who think so are happy with the likes of Pritchard, Onamah, Carroll and Alli as matchday squad or first team material.

It is excessive because we have Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli and Kane whom most on here think should be our starters, and we still want to be able to try out the youngsters. A big squad hasn't worked for us, so why try it again.
Fallacy, sammy.

That was my theory last season when I argued for half a year that we should rotate. It was shot down and the squad was deemed not good enough and thats why the manager was forced to play the same players.

Was Poch forced to play the same players because people on here shot down your theory? Or what are you saying?

But we have a manger who we know doesnt play people once he has decided its over
What? Paulinho featured A LOT at the end of the season. I think everyone knew what was happening as soon as the window opened, though. Vlad was used at both RB and CB as well. Also looks done. Fallacy.

However, Id still be happier to sign Berahino or Moses than rely on Carroll or Pritchard should Eriksen or Chadli get injured.

Yeah, splash the cash on a guy like Moses who's done fuck all for years, instead of a much cheaper, "homemade" solution like Pritchard who's been immense for his team and played regularly. And then sell Moses again next year.

Ade having his medical at Villa!!!! Oh no not quite..........

6qSVaoZ.jpg

He doesn't do himself any favours, does he.

Anyone else a little concerned that we are going the usual levy route and desperately scramble around on the last day of the window trying to sign players? I'm happy with our defensive signings ( Wimner, tripper and Alderweireld) but we are still way off pace with the rest of the teams above us. Maybe when we get rid of Soldado etc things might roll quickly but we only have 2 weeks until the season and we don't seem to be close to signing anyone. A decent striker is such a massive priority even more so than a defensive midfielder in my eyes. If harry kane gets injured long term then it's season over for me. A quality striker/ partner is a must.

I could see Pritchard being a great option off the bench. I would much rather see him sitting there than Moses.

Ive never seen him play, let alone in the PL so couldnt possibly come to that conclusion myself.

It was only when we turned to "untried youth" in key positions -- Bentaleb, Mason and Kane -- that we started looking like a top 6 side. Before that we looked lower-mid table at best.

Bentaleb wasnt untried, and Mason needs replacing as first choice

Anyone else a little concerned that we are going the usual levy route and desperately scramble around on the last day of the window trying to sign players? I'm happy with our defensive signings ( Wimner, tripper and Alderweireld) but we are still way off pace with the rest of the teams above us. Maybe when we get rid of Soldado etc things might roll quickly but we only have 2 weeks until the season and we don't seem to be close to signing anyone. A decent striker is such a massive priority even more so than a defensive midfielder in my eyes. If harry kane gets injured long term then it's season over for me. A quality striker/ partner is a must.
Been worried about this all summer, and have posted my concerns on a number of occasions.

We should have got in a new striker in January, to fail to do so before we travel out to Germany for the Audi Cup will be poor, verging on scandalous neglect of our key area that needs strengthening.

It is excessive because we have Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli and Kane whom most on here think should be our starters, and we still want to be able to try out the youngsters. A big squad hasn't worked for us, so why try it again.

Im not discussing the point of view of most people though, Im discussing my own. And I feel that Lamela needs replacing, and Chadli needs competition. I also think that Eriksen and Kane need people to step in when needed who have played for the first team before.

Was Poch forced to play the same players because people on here shot down your theory? Or what are you saying?

Im saying the manager doesnt use his squad and thats the main reason we need players.

What? Paulinho featured A LOT at the end of the season. I think everyone knew what was happening as soon as the window opened, though. Vlad was used at both RB and CB as well. Also looks done. Fallacy.

You forgot Kaboul, Ade, Capoue, Stambouli, Lennon. Fazio and to some extent Townsend when he fell out favour.
Dembele was also underused.

Yeah, splash the cash on a guy like Moses who's done fuck all for years, instead of a much cheaper, "homemade" solution like Pritchard who's been immense for his team and played regularly. And then sell Moses again next year.

If Poch signs Moses, please dont cry when I post that back to you and ask you whether you think our manager is a fucking idiot then..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom