Spurs .Vs Southampton . KO 19/03/17 , 2:15pm .

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

C7S3N7CXwAUswox.jpg

That settles it then.

Last two games, 6 points against two of the better teams in the league (Everton & Saints). The score line doesn't matter, let's not be self entitled twunts like Woolwich and Liverpool, 3 points is enough from these games.

It's like all of sudden we are poor, white hart lane is rubbish, Poch can't make subs, so and so can pass, we don't shoot enough etc etc! Completely forgetting the fact we just won a massive game in our season.

Not digging anyone specific out here, I've only read through the last couple pages of this thread, but it's very similar to what I was hearing coming out the ground today! More moaning about individual performances than praise of what was a hard fought victory against a good side who beat us last season at WHL.

We are a very good football team who should expect to do well. However whinging after a tight victory against Southampton reaks of self entitlement! And I hate it. We can't win 4-0 every week, and results like this are just as important in the long run as those 4-0 victories.

3 F'N points! COYS

Just enjoy this last season at WHL. We're playing such great football at home. In some parts of the first half yesterday, it was like playing FIFA, the tempo we are able to play on the smaller pitch is incredible. Quick and short passes, alot of movement between the lines - we might not be the most effective team infront of goal, but there isn't a team in Europe right now which is playing faster football than us.

As for the title, I said a few weeks ago, let it drop. It's over sadly. I don't want to look at the gap between us them, I just want to enjoy the football, and so should the rest of the fans. We've done what we can to close in on points with them - we've beaten them at our ground. And it's not like we are not able to lift a trophy this season! :tobyarm:

Trust me, our next season will be far away from this one. A bigger pitch will really hinder our style of play if we don't adapt to the new dimensions of our new stadium. It will be completely different, all of our games will be played either on a neutral or on an away basis. So, enjoy the rest of this season! COYS

......................................Lloris

................Dier...............Toby................Jan..................

Walker..................Winks.............Wanyama.................Davies

.............................Dele...............Eriksen

........................................Vinny

Would love to see Janssen get a run out. I feel Winks can unlock him with his excellent vision, and willingness to play through balls through the middle, along the ground, something Eriksen seems not to do.

Give him 90 minutes in our best formation....I refuse t believe this is Soldado mk2. The goals have to come, but he needs to be on the pitch.

Great first half, disappointing second half pretty much sums the game today. Don't think Sonny can play the centre forward position, he spends too much time out wide, would have preferred Vince in that position, but that's just my view. Was scratching my head with the first substitution, but all turned out OK in the end. I wasn't aware that the crowd had given Hugo stick, but to be fair, his kicking out was pretty dreadful, and not just today. Don't know why he doesn't roll it out to one of the backs or put it down the middle. Still no reason for abusing our players, though, was a shame we went so quiet, but it seemed we all went off the boil, players and supporters alike. Southampton hassled us all over the park in the second half, it felt like we were playing with one man down. Having said that, they only scored because we slipped up. Bottom line is we won and we got three points, so all the detractors can go and stew!
Loved the half time guests - what a line up of Legends - Big Pat, Phil Beal, Mike England, Cliff Jones, Gilly, Joe Kinnear, Mullers and Jimmy Robertson.
Now the decision is, do I bother watching the highlights on MOTD or do I carry on watching Dallas - JR Returns (1996)?

I think we could do better with Janssen up front vs Burnley for obvious reasons and maybe Son down the flanks or as an impact sub. I'm not sure of Son's attributes as being enough to do the striker job.

I thought exactly that before this game......Son is no striker. Even if Janssen is not scoring, he is causing the oppo problems, battling away, and offering.

Son is way too inconsistent to take the mantle up top while Kane is out. He is better behind the striker, making unmarked runs while the actual striker is being tracked by defenders. He is also a great impact sub, but just doesnt do as well when starting and playing the majority of a game. Also offers little muscle when we need to fight.

As much as I'd like to see Janssen start and score a goal or 2 I'm sure it will be Son up top, and that's probably the right decision. No dicking about with formation changes just keep to the 3-4-3

I'd rather throw him in with 30 minutes to go and slowly gain confidence than God forbid we start him, he doesn't score, then he's back where he's started with little to no confidence.

I dont think its a case of his confidence dropping further if he doesnt score, so long as he has a good game and contributes. I think it would be a massive boost to reward him with a start, and see what he can do in this formation.

I dont see the worth in bringing him on with 30 minutes left if we are cruising. Janssen needs to become a game changer, and game winner. Kane is injured, and I dont see us in a position of luxury where we can continue to bed him in.

I also think Son is the far better option off the bench, he seems to fade off when he starts games.

One gripe Ive had with Poch since the last time we played Southampton, in the period we also stuck 4 past Watford and WBA, was that he still didnt bring Vinny on, only giving him 3 minutes here and there.
I hope the lack of game time and backing doesnt come back to bite us now we genuinely need him.

The more he plays, the more chance he has to score. Simple as that for me, although I dont expect to see much of him on Sunday, sadly.

I've said this a lot this season, but this is a MASSIVE three points. 7 point gap on United and 5th place, which means that even if United win their game in hand we've still got a four point buffer in the top four.

Let's hope for a City v Dippers draw.

Fair result though probably would've been 2-2.

My heart sank when we went with Dele and Eriksen up top in some weird 442 for 15 minutes rather than just bring on Vinny......leaves me wondering about Burnley.
Based on what Son did today and Vinny's cameo - I think it's fair to say the latter deserves the nod for this one. Fair is fair

Excellent first half, with periods of some beautiful football, could/should have scored more.

Had to really dig in for the 2nd half today. Fair play to Southampton for making something of it. Defensively we are fucking great, even though Southampton played well in 2nd half, goal aside I can't remember a shot on target!! Mariner was very poor today, Romeo should have been sent off for at least 6 bookable fouls, Ward-Prose too. Found it odd Southampton got a foul when barely touched, yet because our boys don't go to ground we don't get a foul.

Atmosphere was probably the worst of the season, very flat but thought last 5 mins and injury time we finally got behind the team and carried them over the line.

Hard fought and deserved victory.

Back
Top Bottom