Spurs .Vs Southampton . KO 19/03/17 , 2:15pm .

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will not use the "must win" cliche, but a win would be psychologically massive before the int. break and also show the boys that they needn't panic without HK.

Biggest quandary for me is Jansen (and who should sit) or no Jansen... His wasn't some in-off-the-arse-effort; it was a quality finish which should rightfully feed his confidence. Thinking back to Soldado's mirroring scenario also... When these guys FINALLY get the monkey off their back they need the chance to seize that psychological momentum. Then again, to start him and sub him off after 60m could shatter him also.... Then there's Son's 'un-timely' hatrick. LOL

I guess the pragmatist in me opts for:

- - - - - - - - - - - Lloris - - - - - - - -- - - - -
- - - - - - - - Dier / Toby / Vert - - - - - - - -
Walker / Wanyama / Dembele / Davies
- - - - - - - - - - - Eriksen - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - Son / Dele - - - - - - - - - -

Essentially; still 3-4-3, but sit Eriksen in slightly deeper to pull the strings and let the other two feed off of him and the WBs. Praying we can talk a healthy hold on the game and bring VJ in for a good 20m and keep him in the mix.

COYS!!!

Last edited:
A bit of sympathy for the saints?

The 2013/14 season saw manager Mauricio Pochettino reach Southampton's highest Premier League finish. The club's final league position was a respectable 8th place.

Mauricio Pochettino - Spurs
Artur Boruc - Bournemouth
Nathaniel Clyne - Liverpool
Calum Chambers - Arse
José Fonte - West Ham
Dejan Lovren - Liverpool
Luke Shaw - Manchester United
Victor Wanyama - Spurs
Morgan Schneiderlin - Manchester United
Adam Lallana - Liverpool
Rickie Lambert - Liverpool
Jay Rodriguez*

*injured with England, out for the following season

A little bit more salt in the wounds? Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe said;

"At 10pm yesterday I received a phone call from Glenn saying he wished to end his employment at Southampton with immediate effect and join Tottenham Hotspur"

Managed to get lucky in the ballot for this one. Fucking buzzing for this weekend.
Finish work in an hour, then 5 days off.
Piss up for Paddy's day around London on Friday with my cousin & her partner.
Will have to watch the egg chasing on Saturday (her partner is a mad keen rugby fan from Dublin)
Then it's a jaunt across London on Sunday morning to WHL to enjoy a couple of pints, soak up the atmosphere & then watch the boys put 4 past the Saints.
4-1. Alli (2), Son & Janssen. ''Tis written

Will not use the "must win" cliche, but a win would be psychologically massive before the int. break... Biggest quandary for me is Jansen (and who should sit) or no Jansen... His wasn't some in-off-the-arse-effort...
COYS!!!
...and yet you just couldn't help yourself!
Subtle, I'll give you that... but it's ALL in there!

Good to have a match thread that doesn't include death and destruction. It really did get tiresome.
giphy.gif

Word equality..

I think this will confuse them
--- Lioris ---
Carthorse Vick$ , Wimmer von trap, Dier
Tripadvisor ---------------------------Taffy Davis
_______Winks-, --------Sissoko -------------'
French fast bloke-''----- that bloke with an African name and nice funny hair.
_________Janssen -----------------

I've done it in code in case they are watching

Are you suggesting we clone GKN and give both of them their first start against Southampton? :kanehand:

I like it! :levylol:

Just a reminder that if you cant make this game, THFC Ladies are playing Woolwich Ladies in the 5th round of the Womens FA Cup on Sun 19th Mar at Boreham Wood. 2pm kick off.

Woolwich are 1 (2?) divisions above Spurs. Giant killing.

Syria.. wow..quite surprised in that
Be noted that Syria are actually above 2022 WC hosts Qatar and apparent new football powerhouse China in their qualifying group.
They won't beat Iran, South Korea or Uzbekistan in their group for qualification in 2018 but hopefully they beat the corrupt and money flogs in Qatar and China

They play their 'home' fixtures in Malaysia

......................................Lloris

................Dier...............Toby................Jan..................

Walker..................Winks.............Wanyama.................Davies

.............................Dele...............Eriksen

........................................Vinny

Would love to see Janssen get a run out. I feel Winks can unlock him with his excellent vision, and willingness to play through balls through the middle, along the ground, something Eriksen seems not to do.

Give him 90 minutes in our best formation....I refuse t believe this is Soldado mk2. The goals have to come, but he needs to be on the pitch.

Would love to see Janssen get a run out. I feel Winks can unlock him with his excellent vision, and willingness to play through balls through the middle, along the ground, something Eriksen seems not to do.

Give him 90 minutes in our best formation....I refuse t believe this is Soldado mk2. The goals have to come, but he needs to be on the pitch.

Actually, I like this.

Dembele/Wanyama simply isn't needed for such a fixture. They won't be able to get anywhere near Winks and Wanyam will stop any attacks.

I see that, but it will be Son up top.

Son should start, but if he appears ineffective or out of from, then substantiate at half time. I'm sure Vincent knows that one goal doesn't mean he'll be an auto-starter.

I'd rather throw him in with 30 minutes to go and slowly gain confidence than God forbid we start him, he doesn't score, then he's back where he's started with little to no confidence.

I dont think its a case of his confidence dropping further if he doesnt score, so long as he has a good game and contributes. I think it would be a massive boost to reward him with a start, and see what he can do in this formation.

I dont see the worth in bringing him on with 30 minutes left if we are cruising. Janssen needs to become a game changer, and game winner. Kane is injured, and I dont see us in a position of luxury where we can continue to bed him in.

I also think Son is the far better option off the bench, he seems to fade off when he starts games.

One gripe Ive had with Poch since the last time we played Southampton, in the period we also stuck 4 past Watford and WBA, was that he still didnt bring Vinny on, only giving him 3 minutes here and there.
I hope the lack of game time and backing doesnt come back to bite us now we genuinely need him.

The more he plays, the more chance he has to score. Simple as that for me, although I dont expect to see much of him on Sunday, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom