Spurs v Lyon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think we should be sticking with Hugo to get the understanding improved with our back four, but seeing as Gallas is supposedly starting it won't be our first choice four anyway.

Can see AVB getting a bit of stick for playing Brad but I don't see a problem with it. Hugo will play in the away leg like he did against Nazio I reckon.

not too fussed about Friedel starting, kinda expected it and to be fair he is still a good keeper and this is the perfect game for him to really prove himself and put pressure on Lloris, which will then then keep Lloris alert. I'm not liking the idea of Gallas playing, he is still a decent defender and has the experience we may need tomorrow, but he is too slow now. I'm hoping we don't play with a high line with Gallas on the pitch, otherwise Lopez will have a field day

The idea of seeing Gallas in a Spurs shirt again feels with me sadness. If he starts I will predict he gives at least one goal away.

Thanks for your occasional good performances and all that but please go away.

I don't think Friedel starting puts any kind of pressure on Lloris. That battle's over, Hugo won. He'll never be ousted by Brad again, thankfully.

What it does is allows Brad to keep his hand(s) in. Unfortunately it's a high risk strategy, because we're nowhere near as good without Hugo.

I hope we get away with it, but Brad and Bill playing is a worrying thought.

My hope is though that Lyon don't go at us. If they do, there may be trouble ahead. We may be facing the music, and not doing a pretty dance.

don't get this anti Friedel all of a sudden, he has been good in all but his previous game for us this season. I know Hugo organises the defense a lot better then Brad, but lets not forget that we didn't have any problems with Brad as our number 1 last season for a large part of the first half of the season a lot of Spurs fans were divided about who should be our current number 1.

Lloris is a better keeper, that goes without saying, but that does not make Friedel a bad keeper in the slightest

don't get this anti Friedel all of a sudden, he has been good in all but his previous game for us this season. I know Hugo organises the defense a lot better then Brad, but lets not forget that we didn't have any problems with Brad as our number 1 last season for a large part of the first half of the season a lot of Spurs fans were divided about who should be our current number 1.

Lloris is a better keeper, that goes without saying, but that does not make Friedel a bad keeper in the slightest
there's a huge difference to brad being a good keeper or not in this situation, and that's the system being used. Brad worked very well last season because we defended incredibly deep when we had to defend, so he could stay on his line without a problem. In a high line system a keeper that's not pro-active will always be a bad fit, and that's what people are worried about I think.

there's a huge difference to brad being a good keeper or not in this situation, and that's the system being used. Brad worked very well last season because we defended incredibly deep when we had to defend, so he could stay on his line without a problem. In a high line system a keeper that's not pro-active will always be a bad fit, and that's what people are worried about I think.
Bit more worried about Gallas trying to play a high line at the moment than I am about Brad in goal...that said, I'd rather see Hugo start if Gallas is in given his ability/willingness to come of his line. Either way, I hope this goes well as it is the start of a 4 day weekend for me...COYS!

that is a very good argument I suppose

I'm not anti- Brad, it's just that he's not anywhere near as good as Hugo. Neither are most keepers.

The gap between Hugo and Brad is about the same as between Bale and Dempsey.

I love Clint, but he's not at Gareth's level. Similarly I really admire Brad as a professional and ambassador for the game, but he's not at Hugo's level. We have two world class players in our team, it's rare for us, and absolutely fantastic to behold.

Incidentally, I wasn't at all happy with Brad being No. 1 before the season started let alone after Hugo arrived. To me his inability to get off his line and organise his defence, plus his increasing years, meant that getting a new keeper in was an absolute priority.

Unlike many I don't think he was playing great/brilliantly at the start of the season. Our defence was a mess at times and conceding every game, and part of the problem was Brad. It was no surprise our first clean sheet came on Hugo's debut v Lazio. Furthermore it was no surprise our first Prem clean sheet came with Hugo's Prem debut v Villa. What happened after that I'm still fuming about, but have no wish to open old wounds. :lloris:

I don't think Friedel starting puts any kind of pressure on Lloris. That battle's over, Hugo won. He'll never be ousted by Brad again, thankfully.

What it does is allows Brad to keep his hand(s) in. Unfortunately it's a high risk strategy, because we're nowhere near as good without Hugo.

I hope we get away with it, but Brad and Bill playing is a worrying thought.

My hope is though that Lyon don't go at us. If they do, there may be trouble ahead. We may be facing the music, and not doing a pretty dance.
Nah don't agree with that. A good performance from a backup always pushes the starter. I agree that Hugo has the starting spot locked up but just seeing Brad do well will push Hugo to work harder. It's a competitive thing. If you're playing professionally, let alone at this level you are COMPETITIVE.

Nah don't agree with that. A good performance from a backup always pushes the starter. I agree that Hugo has the starting spot locked up but just seeing Brad do well will push Hugo to work harder. It's a competitive thing. If you're playing professionally, let alone at this level you are COMPETITIVE.
Fair enough, I disagree, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Hugo is COMPETITIVE, he is COMPETING with the best keepers in the world, not Brad. That's his benchmark, not to better than Brad but to be better than Neuer, or whoever's the best in world ATM.

Hugo is as sharp as razors ATM, Brad playing well which I hope he does, won't make any difference IMHO.

Fair enough, I disagree, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Hugo is COMPETITIVE, he is COMPETING with the best keepers in the world, not Brad. That's his benchmark, not to better than Brad but to be better than Neuer, or whoever's the best in world ATM.

Hugo is as sharp as razors ATM, Brad playing well which I hope he does, won't make any difference IMHO.
He's in training with Brad everyday. They push eachother, just like every other player in the squad.

Back
Top Bottom