Spurs v Lyon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When I think Lyonnaise, the end of it sounds like mayonnaise. Is that correct?

Does that happen to anyone else? Olympic Mayonnaise?

EDIT: As in "Im sorry my dear, but it appears you have some Olympic Mayonnaise on your chin."

I remember seeing the 67 game on TV. You didn't get much live football on TV then. It was a real shocker when we lost - we had a lot of injuries though so our team was well -under strength.
I don't think we weren't as strong as the programme line up kindly shown by our stat king shows. I think Dennis Bond played- though I should check it out I guess :)

Yep Hoy and Bond played, we didn't have a recognised CB in either leg- no wonder we shipped 4 and lost. We still should have had enough to beat them though. Poor performances.

It's interesting the programme still shows the old 2-3-5 formation - I thought we'd given that up by then and were were typically 4-4-2/ 4/3/3

But I may well be wrong and it took another year or so to change

I've no idea how we lined up that 4-3 night as we had no CBs

England of course had gone 4 at the back when they won the World Cup in 66

and I thought most top teams had gone that way by 67

Thats what happens when I try to make a pre-scotch pun. All that matters is that we are gonna smash him. It doesn't matter how to pronounce it correctly cause we are gonna keep a clean sheet away from home and probably snag about 4-9 goals. They will be giving away goals like packaged condiments. Or condoms. whichever you prefer.

When I say Michu, I think Pikachu. When I think Pikachu, I think back to the start of the internet with this classic:

It's a shame a game like this isn't selling out. I think THFC should have stuck the ticket prices as the same as the Panathinaikos and Maribor games really.
Agreed, it would have been better to have a lower price and full house hopefully with a good atmosphere

But we all know ENIC like to squeeze their assets - oo er- :)

probably 33k at the actual price they're charging is better than the lower prices at 36k - even allowing for the extra catering spend etc.

In terms of ( nearly ) selling out on the day... thats very true, I remember trying to grab an extra two tickets on match day for P.kos. and had real trouble getting my hands on any.

Last Time We Met...

A1755_zps389d3f84.jpg

24th July 2005, Peace Cup Final, Seoul World Cup Stadium, South Korea.

Olympique Lyonnais 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur

GOALS:
Jérémy Berthod 7' (o.g.)
Robbie Keane 9' & 45'
Hatem Ben Arfa Goal 74' (pen.)

Tottenham Hotspur:

Radek Cerny

Stephen Kelly, Ledley King, Anthony Gardner, Erik Edman (Goren Bunjevcevic, 36)

Wayne Routledge, Teemu Tainio (Pedro Mendes, 45; Dean Marney 88 ), Michael Carrick, Andy Reid

Hossem Mido (Fredi Kanoute, 67), Robbie Keane (Jermain Defoe, 65)​

REPORT:

Robbie Keane's brace gave Tottenham a 3-1 win over Lyon in the final of the Peace Cup in Seoul, South Korea.

Stephen Kelly's deflected cross put Spurs 1-0 up early on and Keane headed home Mido's cross soon after.

Keane met another Mido cross at the far post to make it 3-0 after half-time, before Hatem Ben Arfa pulled one back for the French side from the spot.

Lyon boss Gerard Houllier included Chelsea target Michael Essien in his starting line-up.

Essien came off in the closing stages after an effective display in midfield.

His best moment was a 61st-minute cross for Lamine Diatta that forced a fine save from Spurs keeper Radek Cerny.

Tottenham will receive around £1,150,000 in prize money for winning the pre-season competition.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy told the club's website: "I'm absolutely delighted for Martin and the team and it's a terrific start to our season.

"It was good to see great team work and our new signings settling in and playing so well."

A1756_zpsea916ec7.jpg

I wonder how many people singing "I love Tottenham more than you" and "You can stick your red roses up your arse" are single.....

Makes me chuckle.

Yep, I remember seeing that Peace Cup game on TV - really enjoyed it and showed we had a good team. Quite funny to see us holding aloft a cheque, but it was realy good money for a friendly. Perhaps more than we'll make tonight.

I don't understand all the rules regarding this competition and finances, I'd guesstonight will be worth about a million to us, but I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom