Spurs v Lyon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tbf we probably have the most high profile match of the English teams
Even so, to be on ITV1 is a big compliment to our pulling power.

For sure Liverpool are a bigger name than us around the world, but for us to get one of the two mani channels in primetime for a UEFA Cup game, that's a real coup. Although, it's also a real coup for the pulling power of football these days too - no way would a game like that have made primetime prime channel 20 years ago, even 40 years ago.

I remember when we played AC Milan in the UEFA semi in 72 - the first leg didn't make live coverage at all. I was there not such a problem for me, but not good for the many Spurs and indeed football fans who weren't.

the away leg not only didn't make primetime live - there wasn't even any highlights on the night.

All we got for one of our greatest ever results and nights in Europe was a couple of minutes on Saint and Greavesie, Mullery's magnificent goal and that was it for the action- ridiculous, pathetic and awful.

Am so grateful for the non-stop coverage we get nowadays - some people think it's too much - I don't - i absolutely love it

Yep, I remember seeing that Peace Cup game on TV - really enjoyed it and showed we had a good team. Quite funny to see us holding aloft a cheque, but it was realy good money for a friendly. Perhaps more than we'll make tonight.

I don't understand all the rules regarding this competition and finances, I'd guesstonight will be worth about a million to us, but I don't know.

Don't forget that the $2m Spurs won was for the entire 2005 tournament in which we played 4 matches:

Tottenham Hotspur 2 – 2 Boca Juniors
Tottenham Hotspur 3 – 1 Sundowns
Real Sociedad 1 – 1 Tottenham Hotspur
Olympique Lyonnais 1 – 3 Tottenham Hotspur

Don't forget that the $2m Spurs won was for the entire 2005 tournament in which we played 4 matches:

Tottenham Hotspur 2 – 2 Boca Juniors
Tottenham Hotspur 3 – 1 Sundowns
Real Sociedad 1 – 1 Tottenham Hotspur
Olympique Lyonnais 1 – 3 Tottenham Hotspur
Yep, but I think we won $1m dollars for just winning the final alone, plus TV money etc. IIRC

It was amazing money for us for friendlies that's for sure, when you think some of the crap places we've been and earnt bugger all.

yep - not happy about this - but it's not unexpected, we'll look a mess again I'm sure if Lyon have a go, but maybe they'll take it relatively easy

I'll be furious if Hugo doesn't start the away game.

I'd get ready to be furious then. By the sound of it, Brad gets the cup games no matter what.

I'd get ready to be furious then. By the sound of it, Brad gets the cup games no matter what.

Yep, I'm getting in 'fury mode' now.:)

If it's true I think Lyon will knock us out. I certainly think Inter will.

Luckily for my mental well-being I don't think it is true and that Hugo will be back for the game in France.

Yep, I'm getting in 'fury mode' now.:)

If it's true I think Lyon will knock us out. I certainly think Inter will.

Luckily for my mental well-being I don't think it is true and that Hugo will be back for the game in France.

Could quite easily be AVB giving the press some bullshit couldn't it. I mean I've nothing against Brad but his time is up really.

Could quite easily be AVB giving the press some bullshit couldn't it. I mean I've nothing against Brad but his time is up really.
Agree that Brad isn't a patch on Hugo, but I had a suspicion he might play Brad this time, and I think he will. We might get away with it, but if he keeps playing Brad in the EL we'll come unstuck.

If Brad has a bad game then chances are we'll be done for even if Hugo returns for the 2nd leg.

Back
Top Bottom