Spurs v Liverpool, 15th September, 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

our middle 2 have really struggled against the dippers middle 3 in the first half of the last 6/7 games, the one exception being Wembley last year. We have to match them in the middle for the first 25 minutes, at which point they'll likely fade. Problem is they are brilliant for those 25 minutes, and despite some mediocre showings overall v Palace, Brighton and Leicester, could have been 4-0 up inside 25 in all 3. We need to be quick on the ball, and not dither, as can sometimes be our way at home, otherwise they'll swarm all over us. I'd start Winks for this reason.

We played it from November til May last season

With Toby out. Fair play.

But not strictly imo, certainly not in the traditional 15/16 season sense, much more flexibility. Less emphasis on 2 holding players, a lot of the time 2 up top with Son or Alli supporting Kane.

Its certainly not been the preferred formation this season. Even if only playing 2 CB's

our middle 2 have really struggled against the dippers middle 3 in the first half of the last 6/7 games, the one exception being Wembley last year. We have to match them in the middle for the first 25 minutes, at which point they'll likely fade. Problem is they are brilliant for those 25 minutes, and despite some mediocre showings overall v Palace, Brighton and Leicester, could have been 4-0 up inside 25 in all 3. We need to be quick on the ball, and not dither, as can sometimes be our way at home, otherwise they'll swarm all over us. I'd start Winks for this reason.

Totally agree. We need to do our best not to be caught in possession in the back.
I'm not sure we really have the sort of midfield that can out-possess them successfully, but we'll need to do our best in that regard. At the very least, we should be trying to get the ball out of the back quickly and be playing the game in their half.

Dier man-marking Firmino when he comes deep could be a good way to free our back-line to focus on over the top balls to Salah and Mane out wide (and not get lured out by Firmino). I am really hoping we don't give up another goal like Salah's dribble-fest inside the box last year when he clowned 3 of our defenders in a row. That was rough.

A fully fit Coco should be 100% starting this one.

I'll go with
[formation=433, Gazza, Trippier, Aldeweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Eriksen, Wanyama, Dembele, Lucas, Kane, Lamela][/formation]

Last edited:
Vorm
Sanchez Toby Jan
Trippier Dembele Eriksen Rose
Lucas Son
Kane

Lamela to come off the bench to be an absolute bastard when we go 2-0 up.

Although I would absolutely love it if we win by 1 goal - that goal coming after an offside Harry Kane dives to win a non-deserved penalty in the last minute and then panenka's it straight down the middle. I can almost taste the scouse tears now...

Vorm
Sanchez Toby Jan
Trippier Dembele Eriksen Rose
Lucas Son
Kane

Lamela to come off the bench to be an absolute bastard when we go 2-0 up.

Although I would absolutely love it if we win by 1 goal - that goal coming after an offside Harry Kane dives to win a non-deserved penalty in the last minute and then panenka's it straight down the middle. I can almost taste the scouse tears now...

Dembele as solo DM was a big problem against Watford... Liverpool's mobility amplifies this concern.

We start with that formation and lineup we will be 4-0 down after 30 minutes.

We need a compact midfield to protect the defense.

I'll start Wanyama and Dembele as double pivot in 4231.
Completely forgot Wanyama was fit to be honest!
Who drops out the team out of Eriksen, Lucas or Son? Assuming Son would then be rested but really think the pace of him and Moura would scare that 'amazing' defence shitless!

Completely forgot Wanyama was fit to be honest!
Who drops out the team out of Eriksen, Lucas or Son? Assuming Son would then be rested but really think the pace of him and Moura would scare that 'amazing' defence shitless!

Could always just remove one of the centre backs and put in Wanyama/Dier?

Back
Top Bottom