Spurs v Liverpool, 15th September, 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It will just be very interesting to see how Pochettino approaches the game.

I would play a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Is Wanyama fit or still recovering? But Dembele or Winks and Dier in front of a back 4.

Eriksen, Lamela, if fit and Moura in the pockets behind Kane.

Dele being out is an obvious blow (not unlike his home video, hurrr) but what a difference from the lack of depth of only a couple of years ago that we can now field players of the calibre of Son and Moura instead, especially alongside Eriksen. A lot of teams could only dream of those options.

....But apparently we have no depth!?!?!. #Waaaaaaaahhhh

...It's true; just ask the WH fans that had so many in our midst envious this summer. Or how about perenial TRF-window contenders, Everton; whom are struggling to field a first XI this weekend.

...If only we had Shaquiri, Broken Sturridge & Broken Lallana; Drinkwater, Broken Barkley & a last-legs Fabregash & Pedro or Iwobi, Ozil (snigger!) and whatever shit-show makes up the rest of the Goons, Everton or WH benches.:pocheyes:

our middle 2 have really struggled against the dippers middle 3 in the first half of the last 6/7 games, the one exception being Wembley last year. We have to match them in the middle for the first 25 minutes, at which point they'll likely fade. Problem is they are brilliant for those 25 minutes, and despite some mediocre showings overall v Palace, Brighton and Leicester, could have been 4-0 up inside 25 in all 3. We need to be quick on the ball, and not dither, as can sometimes be our way at home, otherwise they'll swarm all over us. I'd start Winks for this reason.

Spot on.

I wasn't being contrary when I suggested we put one of Amos/Marsh/Skipp in a CM3 with Winks and Eriksen. Against a team like Liverpool (and City) Poch keeps trying to go toe to toe, with plodders like Dier and Dembele in CM2's and they just get fucking blitzed and can't cope. If you weather the early storm and they tire you can start to play at them, but you can't go front foot tear up from the get go with those two teams with slow players in midfield who can't squeeze up and support a high press and then have the energy and dynamism to deal with their quick counter transition, you just end up getting your pants pulled down.

Last season's game was one of Poch's best tactically all season. He played the 352, cleverly putting Aurier as an inverted LB to deal with Salah, Trippier as RWB, we had Winks with Eriksen and Alli in a CM3 with Kane and Son up front, and instead of completely blitzing them we were more pragmatic and transitioned brilliantly on them, because we had players like Winks, Eriksen, Alli and Trippier all able to think quicker and move the ball quicker.

He did something similar at home to Real. For some reason he never really revisited those tactics for the rest of the season, which made me wonder if it wasn't necessarily deliberate? But subsequent games against ManC home and away, and Liverpool away he just tried to do his usual shtick of going toe to toe, got his selections and format all wrong and as you say we were blitzed in both. Luckily Liverpool ran out of steam in the away game and we played better second half, but the game could have been over before we got a sniff, and was against ManC both times.

In the same way that you are, yes.
2hus2z.jpg

I can say with confidence that I haven't been more desperate to see us win a match outside of cup ties in a long while, the media is beyond insufferable with their blowing of the Dippers.

Bollocks.
One of our best players this season. We will miss him massively at the weekend, his ability to win the ball in the oppo half (no player has won possession in the attacking third more times than him (19) in the Premier League in 2018). He is absolutely key to us.

That’s very interesting, where did you get that Guido? Who else was on the list.

Ive credited Alli for the work he’s now doing, he was arsing about first three months of last season, but Poch has got him working much harder without the ball the last 12 months. Still surprised he’s top of that list though.

That’s very interesting, where did you get that Guido? Who else was on the list.

Ive credited Alli for the work he’s now doing, he was arsing about first three months of last season, but Poch has got him working much harder without the ball the last 12 months. Still surprised he’s top of that list though.

I think James Milner was 2nd on that list.

--------------------------Vorm------------------
-------Toby------Sanchez----Vertonghen--
Aurier---------------------------------------------rose
-----------------Winks---------Dembele-----------
-----------------------Eriksen-------------------------
---------------Moura----------Kane------------------

Whoscored, they just quoted him and made no ref to anyone else.

Holy balls we have to beat the dippers.
If we beat them now we'll cast them into an existential crisis as they realise all the circle jerking about them was wrong and they aren't as good as all the ex Liverpool pundits say they are. This sudden and painful realisation will cause Liverpool's fanbase to come to terms with their entitlement and deluded self image, accept responsibility for Heysel, denounce Suarez as a racially insensitive cannibal, cease violently attacking buses and generally shape up into the paragons of virtue they imagine themselves to be.

Course that won't happen. But it will fuck them off, so lets do it.

Second night running they're talking about us on 'The Debate' on sky sports. Perhaps Ian Wright and Danny Higginbottom are not the most balanced when discussing us Vs Liverpool.

It’s fucking nauseating listening to all these impartial pundits (yeah right) going on about the dippers, more-so thus week than any other.

I genuinely hope we smash them beyond belief and put all the pundits back in their boxes.

I’m nervy about this one, because if we aren’t on our game, it could be a nightmare. There’s no denying that they look good going forward, but we turn up, we win this.

Back
Top Bottom