Spurs v Liverpool, 15th September, 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, perhaps one or two borderline optimists, but the likes of Kane, Eriksen and Vertonghen are perfectly aware that it is very unlikely that we will win the league this season.

But why - are we not supposed to be going forward? Many see Liverpool as legitimate title challengers but a couple of seasons ago they were way behind us? I know they've spanked a lot of cash but all of a sudden they're cast iron contenders and we shouldn't be thinking that we can win the league?

I'm pretty sure that Kane thinks we can win the league - if the others don't is that just a suggestion of what it takes to be a winner?

I still think that Man City will win but we should definitely feel that we are in the pack behind in case they slip up.

A couple of signings in the last transfer window could have made the difference but for whatever reason we didn't get any.

I just think we're in real danger of wasting this golden generation at Spurs by following the narrative that we've got no chance to win anything.

I just think we're in real danger of wasting this golden generation at Spurs by following the narrative that we've got no chance to win anything.

Couldn't agree more. We have been in the top 3 for the last 3 seasons in a row, pushing for the title in 2 of them. We have reached a cup final and two semi-finals in the last 4 seasons. The idea that we are not close to winning anything is rubbish. We are very, very close. You just need a bit of luck and a bit more grit if you want to beat the Manchesters and Chelsea to silverware.

Obviously we shouldn't go fully delusional like Liverpool fans but we should be looking to win a trophy this season.

I don't think anyone at the club genuinely thinks we will be winning the league, so there's nothing to forget. Top 4 is the target.

Top 4 was the target when we were in 5th place. Now we are entrenched in the top 3 and 4th place is the bare minimum we should expect. We should be targeting the title. If we fall away and have to adjust our target then so be it, but the season has only just started. All the top 5 should be targeting the title at this point.

Last edited:
Top 4 was the target when we were in 5th place. Now we are entrenched in the top 3 and 4th place is the bare minimum we should expect. We should be targeting the title. If we fall away and have to adjust our target then so be it, but the season has only just started. All the top 5 should be targeting the title at this point.

The way I see it, there is a list of objectives that i have had since I began following Tottenham. Keeping this list in mind is important as it keeps perspective through unexpected periods, such as being thrust into the title race late in the season in both 2016 and 2017. The list is as follows:
Get champions league football
Get consistent champions league football
Win the Premier league/champions league
I haven't included a 'trophy' like FA cup or league cup, as to be honest the utility of these trophies doesn't extend far beyond saying 'oh hey look we won some silverware, see, we told you we could!'. If all this team does is win the FA or carabao cup, it won't raise the team beyond the level we perceive it at now. If this team wants to be truly legendary, they will win the league or champions league. To that end, top four is more important than a trophy, as getting top four is the best system for being able to challenge for the league/champions league.

I might sound like wenger, and we might mock them for the 4th place trophy, but he had a point.

Trippier---------Sanchez---------JV------------Davies

Eriksen---------Marsh/Skipp-----------Winks

Lamela--------Kane----------Moura

or

Amos---------Marsh/Skipp---------Winks

Eriksen--------------All/Moura
Kane​

Necessity is the mother of invention, and we need to invent us a new midfield, one with a a bit of fucking vim.

The thread on rawk is full of hate for Kane an Alli? I don’t get it? Cause they ‘dived’ but there beloved king of Egypt never has (Chelsea/palace) even against palace, fair enough there’s contact he went down.... Just like Kane at Anfield last year... Karius even said there was contact. Also I don’t give enough of a shit about mo Salah to dislike him. Good player - whatever.. good luck to him, I don’t care.

Their anger and hatered is so odd.

Eriksen---------Marsh/Skipp-----------Winks

Lamela--------Kane----------Moura

or

Amos---------Marsh/Skipp---------Winks

Eriksen--------------All/Moura
Kane​

Necessity is the mother of invention, and we need to invent us a new midfield, one with a a bit of fucking vim.
Do you watch football using an Ouija board?

Couldn't agree more. We have been in the top 3 for the last 3 seasons in a row, pushing for the title in 2 of them. We have reached a cup final and two semi-finals in the last 4 seasons. The idea that we are not close to winning anything is rubbish. We are very, very close. You just need a bit of luck and a bit more grit if you want to beat the Manchesters and Chelsea to silverware.

Obviously we shouldn't go fully delusional like Liverpool fans but we should be looking to win a trophy this season.

I think its very unfair on poch to expect us to win the title. Not bothering to sign anyone doesn't seem like a club who are going all out for the title. I still think 4th would mean a job very well done by poch. If you say we should be realistically targeting the title then I don't think you can say 4th would be very good from poch.

I dunno, it's a bit like Baines, Siggy and Pickford are perfectly aware that they most likely won't finish in the top-four. Not saying that they might as well stop trying.

But Everton havent finished top 4 for over 12 years and are generally quite crap.

We have finished above every single one of the top 5 over the last three seasons. There is not even a comparison to be had.

Back
Top Bottom