Spurs v Liverpool, 15th September, 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Direct speed? I don't understand.

I am still not convinced by this Lucas-Kane partnership.

Lucas as the man up top for me is a short term solution. Kane is the main man he should be the once highest up the field. The only logic behind playing Lucas there is his pressing easing up Harry's need to and when we play on the counter. Apart from that I struggle to see why we would revert to a two man up top style when an Eriksen, Dele, Son and Harry diamond has worked so well in the past.

I think we'll see more of a settled way and style in about 4-5 games time once Son is back and the squad have firmly got the World Cup lag out of their systems. For me Dele, Son & Lucas are. Atkins it out for two of those diamond positions in our strongest possible lineup and approach, with Dier & Wanyama hopefully tussling it out for the much needed DM position. Dembele should never have been asked to play that kind of role, defensive awareness is too important and Mousa should be alternating with Winks as the season progresses for that CM role

Lucas as the man up top for me is a short term solution. Kane is the main man he should be the once highest up the field. The only logic behind playing Lucas there is his pressing easing up Harry's need to and when we play on the counter. Apart from that I struggle to see why we would revert to a two man up top style when an Eriksen, Dele, Son and Harry diamond has worked so well in the past.

I think we'll see more of a settled way and style in about 4-5 games time once Son is back and the squad have firmly got the World Cup lag out of their systems. For me Dele, Son & Lucas are. Atkins it out for two of those diamond positions in our strongest possible lineup and approach, with Dier & Wanyama hopefully tussling it out for the much needed DM position. Dembele should never have been asked to play that kind of role, defensive awareness is too important and Mousa should be alternating with Winks as the season progresses for that CM role
I don't think we lost the game yesterday because of the absence of a defensive midfielder. You would think that with 3 cbs on the park (plus Kane, who is also very useful at defending set pieces), that we would not concede 2 goals from 2 free headers from a free kick and a corner kick.

I don't think we lost the game yesterday because of the absence of a defensive midfielder. You would think that with 3 cbs on the park (plus Kane, who is also very useful at defending set pieces), that we would not concede 2 goals from 2 free headers from a free kick and a corner kick.

I think playing Dembele in a position he isn't used to was a risk not necessary personally. We had Winks, Dier & Wanyama on the bench, were 1-0 up and Watford started getting a piece of the game. Personally I was surprised with the 3 at the back on the back of a 0-3 win at Old Trafford and we should have kept the same team. Pochettino has changed tactics in each game played so far this season which can't help the team settle into their groove surely.

You're right that with 3 CBs playing we should have been OK but surely Dier's aerial presence could have helped us from the only way they could have scored goals against us. I think the team from attackers throughnto defenders, including the coaching staff need to take some of the blame for not being smart, strong or ruthless enough as we creep into a two week international break

I think playing Dembele in a position he isn't used to was a risk not necessary personally. We had Winks, Dier & Wanyama on the bench, were 1-0 up and Watford started getting a piece of the game. Personally I was surprised with the 3 at the back on the back of a 0-3 win at Old Trafford and we should have kept the same team. Pochettino has changed tactics in each game played so far this season which can't help the team settle into their groove surely.

You're right that with 3 CBs playing we should have been OK but surely Dier's aerial presence could have helped us from the only way they could have scored goals against us. I think the team from attackers throughnto defenders, including the coaching staff need to take some of the blame for not being smart, strong or ruthless enough as we creep into a two week international break
I think three CBs and Dier leaves us a little bit short of a ball-player in the middle. I don't know why Dier was benched. I don't think he has been playing well, maybe he had a knock, we may find out in the coming weeks.
I suspect Winks and Wanyama were not ready to start a game. That being said, I think we had enough quality out there to get the job done. It was just so half-arsed in terms of intensity. And then you've got Kane, who could hardly trap a bag of cement at the moment.

Maybe you are right about the tactical tweaks being disruptive. I don't honestly know.

Direct speed? I don't understand.

I am still not convinced by this Lucas-Kane partnership.

Neither am I. Kane is best alone, bringing people in, and needs support from Son and others that like staying wide.

Direct speed meaning he enjoys running at people at speed and helps stretch the failed. Dortmund last year is a great example.

With or without the ball?

I think Moura's touch needs a hell of a lot of polish.

Both. He stretches the field with the ball at his feet and is great at running the channels and is IMO a great presser.

I would like to see

Lamela Winks Eriksen
Lucas Kane Son

Test that against a Albion or something. That would be a fun side

Both. He stretches the field with the ball at his feet and is great at running the channels and is IMO a great presser.

I would like to see

Lamela Winks Eriksen
Lucas Kane Son

Test that against a Albion or something. That would be a fun side
I am still trying to work Lucas out. Does he not offer those things? And if not, how would you say his style of play differs?

With or without the ball?

I think Moura's touch needs a hell of a lot of polish.

It bounces off of him a lot. It's frustrating but he seems to get himself out of situations with his speed of thought to make amends. I like Lucas but he ain't someone who can mesh with give and go football. He's a tidy little mover but he'll never have great passing stats and his willingness to be on the front foot will lose us a fair amount of possession. When it comes off however teams will struggle to keep us from threatening the goal

I am still trying to work Lucas out. Does he not offer those things? And if not, how would you say his style of play differs?

From my understanding he is a winger and he likes running at people. So yeah, I would say he is very similar to Son, but I also think he has some CAM in him. He is good at feigning and uses his body to beat defenders on the turn.

I don’t think we should be playing two up top though. He should be working with the WBs to create space on the edges and then Eriksen and Dele play more centrally in the attacking third. Kane should be a solo practitioner up top.

It bounces off of him a lot. It's frustrating but he seems to get himself out of situations with his speed of thought to make amends. I like Lucas but he ain't someone who can mesh with give and go football. He's a tidy little mover but he'll never have great passing stats and his willingness to be on the front foot will lose us a fair amount of possession. When it comes off however teams will struggle to keep us from threatening the goal
I fear you may have hit the nail on the head here.

From my understanding he is a winger and he likes running at people. So yeah, I would say he is very similar to Son, but I also think he has some CAM in him. He is good at feigning and uses his body to beat defenders on the turn.

I don’t think we should be playing two up top though. He should be working with the WBs to create space on the edges and then Eriksen and Dele play more centrally in the attacking third. Kane should be a solo practitioner up top.
Has Poch ever used him out wide? I am not sure he has, and I can't understand it.

Has Poch ever used him out wide? I am not sure he has, and I can't understand it.

He played out wide last year during the few appearances he made. He drifts wide by making runs, but his back is to the goal for a stretch of the game whereas he should be running at people and playing off the mids and Kane.

Yes, I hate to see Kane coming deep and looking for the ball. His outfield play at the moment is terrible.
I want to see him staying up front and occupying defenders.

Tickets purchased this morning. Not feeling confident at all.

Hopefully the bollocking Poch gave the players will gee them up.

I can see three possible outcomes from this game.

Win, lose or draw. I checked Skybet and they are taking bets on all three possibilities : ostrich:

To be serious, our players need to get the media and hype either out of their heads or they allow it to fire them up. Then they need to win every 50/50 and every tackle and play with aggression. Then they will win.

Back
Top Bottom