Should AVB go if we miss top 4?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

May be he should blame it one everything else bar himself like old-face did?

Found this chart about Harry's post match interview technique, sums it up perfectly for me

arry2tc2.jpg

Here's the source: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Harry_Redknapp

I don't think it's fair to jump all over the OP. he's not clammering or avb to leave but asks a relevant question. Personally I'd rather we didn't change manager again for a little while. Unless you have unlimited money like Chelsea or city then it's going to take at least 3 seasons to see the end product of what he's trying to achieve.
Our fans have to stop worrying what other people say and concentrate on what's best for spurs. It's become a situation where a lot of fans seem to want champions league just because Woolwich, Chelsea fans etc use our non participation as a stick to beat us with.
Football is a money game now. Out of the top 6 teams in the country we probably have the 6th Largest budget. Finishing in the top 4 would still be a huge achievement.
AVB should not be seen as a failure if we don't make CL. Although I think a cup win or at least an fa cup/Europa final would definitely help his cause.

the question is the wrong one.
the question that should be asked is, 'is it wrong that people are transfixed by the notion of achieving 'top4' as a benchmark for success in October?'

*sigh*

No, the competition is fierce this year and as long as we stay competing at the right end of the table he should stay aslong as possible imho. At some point you have to make a stand and go with what you have, chopping and changing managers every other season is fuckn pointless and keeps you in a constant state of transition with new managers wanting different players. AVB is at the right age to lead us for many a season and is very professional, tactically astute and a good face/voice for the club. Bar a total meltdown the bloke should be given a decade to really stabilize the club and give us some real continuity like the scum, manure and Everton have enjoyed and prospered from. People calling for AVBs head already are fucking idiots with agendas beyond football.

this is getting boring, surely its in our interests to give AVB a decent amount of time to be successful for us. We don't do ourselves any favours arguing amongst ourselves, so give the guy a break and get behind him and the team. Rome wasn't built in a day, after all!

Said at the start of the season I wouldn't really blame him if we finished 5th again. Yet again we sold our best player in the summer and had no pre-season, and we're still financially behind 4/5 clubs depending on how you look at it.

That said, he'd probably need to win some silverware for it to be an improvement on last season and justify the sackings of Jol, Ramos, and Arry before him.

Instead of saying "AVB has spent ____ if we don't finish top 5 he should be sacked"

People should see it as

"We have given AVB ____ to spend building his team, is it really worth it (or sane) to now sack him?!"

I know the press have been building us up because of all the 'talent' we brought in over the summer but I am not convinced that there has been much of an improvement and the way I see it Liverpool are a good bet for top four this season so if Manure at least turn it round to a certain degree I can see it ending up ;

1/ Citeh
2/ Woolwich
3/ Chelski
4/Liverpool
5/Manure
6/ US!!!

I know that might sound shockingly pessimistic to some of you but I have watched a lot of football this season and looking at the squads I am not convinced that we are going to make top 4! Do you think if the worst happens, and we miss out again, that AVB should go considering the money he has spent on what I frankly think are a mixed bunch?
:avbfu::avbfu::avbfu::avbfu::avbfu::avbfu:

Ah HA!

He cleverly duped us!

The Saturday morning cartoon villain then reveals himself on the second page!

Will he be banned?

YES!

Tune in next week for MORE...

TALES OF BULLSHIT!

We say that every season that "this is the last season little old Tottenham Hotspur can upset the status quo" but I don't quite see it that way. AVB is a lot more pragmatic than Redknapp so there are bound to be a difference in opinion from such polar opposites as managers. Redknapp wanted to entertain first and foremost, it was a fun ride at times but some people seem to forget a relegated Wolves side doing the double over us.

If he doesn't get top 4, I don't think he needs to go. I'd rather we have a decent cup run though, we limped out of all the cups last season.

Fair enough- at the end of the day, you're probably taking a far more rational and considered viewpoint than me. I can openly admit that I was never a huge advocate of AVB when we were looking for a Harry replacement, and to this day I still can't quite get past seeing him as one of Europe's greatest technical coaches, but not yet a top-shelf on-pitch manager. Inevitably that has probably clouded my perspective on what this team has achieved under him so far.

I can't deny that the results last season were largely excellent and AVB deserves credit for keeping the ship steady after the summer of 2011, but on the other hand I really found it hard to muster much enthusiasm watching us play over the same period, with us feeling like we were just about scraping through every game, and only outplaying maybe one or two teams all season. Dominating, but not truly threatening team after team. It worries me that I feel exactly the same this season with Christian Eriksen, Erik Lamela, Etienne Capoue, Roberto Soldado and Paulinho now in the side.

I am saddened about how many disagreements I've had with people I disrespect over this issue, but equally I really can't force myself to feel any other way. 15 months in I still feel like AVB is the one everyone wants to become a Spurs legend- the exciting, young coach who builds a legacy at the club- but I just don't see the green shoots yet that suggest this will become a reality.

Week to week it's always the same story- "OK, so we didn't look great today, but the win will give the squad some confidence and the team starts to gel we'll be unstoppable". But then we go and get absolutely turned over 3-0 by West Ham at home. One result, I know, but it's hard to deny that it punctures this 'jam tomorrow' mentality everyone seems to have with AVB right now.

End of the day, I just want the same thing everyone else does- for this club to achieve stable success. I don't think we all have to agree on everything about our manager to share that hope.

It wasn't the fact the WHU result was unacceptable for me, it was the total lack of an attempt to get out of jail that got me frustrated, and despite him having a poor game, taking the one inventive (MF) player off seemed an odd choice.
I don't see any sense in considering dumping AVB, he has proved that he has the ability to make us a good team already, where we finish the season and how the team conducts itself throughout will determine whether the original question gets resurrected. Unless its a woeful season, he should still be allowed to stay and try to finish what he's started.

Fair enough- at the end of the day, you're probably taking a far more rational and considered viewpoint than me. I can openly admit that I was never a huge advocate of AVB when we were looking for a Harry replacement, and to this day I still can't quite get past seeing him as one of Europe's greatest technical coaches, but not yet a top-shelf on-pitch manager. Inevitably that has probably clouded my perspective on what this team has achieved under him so far.

I can't deny that the results last season were largely excellent and AVB deserves credit for keeping the ship steady after the summer of 2011, but on the other hand I really found it hard to muster much enthusiasm watching us play over the same period, with us feeling like we were just about scraping through every game, and only outplaying maybe one or two teams all season. Dominating, but not truly threatening team after team. It worries me that I feel exactly the same this season with Christian Eriksen, Erik Lamela, Etienne Capoue, Roberto Soldado and Paulinho now in the side.

I am saddened about how many disagreements I've had with people I disrespect over this issue, but equally I really can't force myself to feel any other way. 15 months in I still feel like AVB is the one everyone wants to become a Spurs legend- the exciting, young coach who builds a legacy at the club- but I just don't see the green shoots yet that suggest this will become a reality.

Week to week it's always the same story- "OK, so we didn't look great today, but the win will give the squad some confidence and the team starts to gel we'll be unstoppable". But then we go and get absolutely turned over 3-0 by West Ham at home. One result, I know, but it's hard to deny that it punctures this 'jam tomorrow' mentality everyone seems to have with AVB right now.

End of the day, I just want the same thing everyone else does- for this club to achieve stable success. I don't think we all have to agree on everything about our manager to share that hope.

This is a really interesting post, and has got me thinking. I think I agree to an extent.

Not with the first bit, because I was a huge advocate of appointing AVB, but with some of the rest. I think he was dealt a bad hand in his first season with King/Modric/VdV leaving, but he was lucky to have Bale (and his use of him was phenomenal).

My concerns are:

- the lack of bravery with substitutions (irritating because when he *does* make brave decisions, they usually work well).
- some weird tactical decisions - bringing on a poacher when you're struggling to create, for example. In those situations, "bring on Defoe" is almost always never the right answer.
- the lack of a 'passer' as one of the '2' in our 4-2-3-1 - to me it seems so obvious that one of the reasons we struggle to break teams down and maintain a quick tempo is that we let the opposition regain shape too quickly as we don't move the ball quickly enough to our '3'. Dembele and Paulinho between them just do not have the direct passing ability that we need from at least one of the players in that role IMO.
- the lack of time for inexperienced youngsters, beyond the occasional game for Carroll/Kane/Fryers. At least have a couple on the bench for the Europa League to bring on when we're winning games easily - I'm meaning Veljkovic/Bentaleb, etc. Just including them in squads/giving them 10/15 mins exposure here or there could work wonders. Not using and then selling Luongo baffled me too.
- the fact that he's already talking about his next move. He doesn't stay at clubs long, so as much as we might see AVB's Spurs as a long-term project, he almost certainly doesn't. OK, that's a slight assumption, but it's probably true.

On the whole I really like AVB and I *really* like AVB/Baldini (the work we did in the summer was mostly excellent), but I definitely think he needs to deliver at least a cup this season to deserve praise.

Not that I'd suggest sacking him anytime soon, that'd be totally counter-productive.

Back
Top Bottom